Home – New Forums Starting your journey Tax Question – Operating a website outside Australia

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    poponuts
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hi Gurus,

This may have been asked before (admin, delete if yes) but I am planning to put up a website that would operate in another country with domain names after that country (not .au) and hosted overseas. My target profit is through ads.
    As such, do I register the business from here as a sole trader or put up a small company or from that country?
    I would assume that it is more tax beneficial if I operate it oustide Australia based on my research on the tax models in that country.

Thanks in advance for the good souls who would be providing great suggestion :)

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi popluts,

If your planing to run this company at a profit and draw some income from it then you will get taxed. You may end up spending thousands on the idea of tax minimisation with no net benefit. The ATO has rules on taxation of overseas income. https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/Income-you-must-declare/Foreign-income/
    This might be a good read.

Best of luck,

Steve

poponuts
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Thanks for this swift response Steve.

Also, I was wondering if your website is registered as a sole trader or as a company.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Your asking if my website is registered as a sole trader or company?
    or are you asking if you should register your website as sole trader or company?

Steve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.