Home – New Forums Starting your journey Teacher looking to jump ship and go to the “real world”. Anyone else done it?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bribel
    Participant
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I am a teacher with almost 25 years of experience. Like a lot of old and cranky teachers, I am looking for a change and have been seriously looking at buying a small business. I am keen to know if any one else has done it and how did they go with getting out in the “real world”, losing all of the conditions that come with being a salaried worker.

This is holding me back at the moment. It is a good opportunity and I am sure I will kick myself if I don’t take the risk.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

I was a Public Servant, then and employee of a firm providing services to the Government, all up, for about the same period of time as you.

Since then, I have operated my own business since 2009, so I guess it’s been a pretty good run.

All up, it took say four years to become “successful” and there was a pretty steep learning curve and long hours in those early years.

If there were a few topics I would recommend to take a look at, among them would be:

Consumer psychology – why do we buy the things we do?
    Budgeting and Cash Flow.
    Storytelling within a business context.

If you have any specific questions, please come back and ask.

Good luck.

Cheers
    Paul

Cheers

HenryPeter
    Participant
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

I don’t know much about it. But I would like to get some more details about it. Thank you so much for this thread.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.