Home – New Forums Starting your journey Technology required to accept payments.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    igor1984
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

I’m starting a new website based business and have a long-winded question in relation to accepting payments through the website.

Similar questions have been raised, but I can’t find any that answer my exact variation on those questions. Here goes, and thank you in advance for your help!

Without giving away the actual idea behind the business, the point of the business is that a user can setup an account on the website. The user’s “followers” (friends or family) can gift monies to the user.

I require information about what technology I need on my website in order for that user to be able to receive the contributed money. Here’s the catch:

• Multiple people can donate to the single user.
    • The user is given a time limit on how long he/she has to raise their target (30, 60, 90 days).
    • The owner of the website (me) will receive a certain percentage from the total raised (1% or 2% from the total) as we are running the business and this is one of our revenue streams.
    • The rest of the money (after the 1% or 2% calculation) will go to the user.
    I have conducted multiple searches on google and have reached largely no resolution. Some friends have recommended a services such as Paypal, Ezyway.etc. Some friends have recommended a shopping cart. Several others have recommended hiring an accountant to run a simple bank account to manually process payments.

The issue I have with the above is there have been no solid answers. I wish for everything to be automated as potentially, the business will expand to hundreds (or thousands) of users in the years to come. Even more so, every user may receive hundreds of donations. Keeping track of all of these (who they have come from, which user they are going to) will be a mammoth task.
    My question are as follows:

• What is the technology that I need in order to accept payments on my website?
    • What is the best way to perform the calculations, and is there an automated way this can be done?
    • How will I keep a track of which donations belong to which person and the user the donation needs to go to?

I am aware that on the website, every user will have a profile, I’m not sure how this will integrate. Our website design and branding company has stated that the banking side/ payment technology section of our business will need to be researched by us so that we are able to tell them what to use for this facet of the business.

Can anyone help me?

TommyRough
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Hello
    engage a reputable website company that will design and integrate all your needs.
    Anything is possible but the more complicated the more expensive it becomes.
    Cheers Tommyrough

igor1984
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    TommyRough, post: 190706 wrote:
    Hello
    engage a reputable website company that will design and integrate all your needs.
    Anything is possible but the more complicated the more expensive it becomes.
    Cheers Tommyrough

Hi TommyRough

The website company we have engaged is reputable, however they will not advise us on merchant bank accounts, payment technology (such as paypal, ezyway) as this is not a part of their specialty.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

It will just be an ecommerce gateway – You just have to go through your preferred bank to set up the merchant.

Have a look at other sites doing the same sort of thing to see what they are offering.

TommyRough
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Hello
    correct.
    set up all the online payment details with your bank so your account can be established first then select your preferred gateway and then get your website people to set it up for you.
    If it all gets too hard contact paypal and they can organise a payment gateway for you.
    The receiving of payment is not the hard part getting what you want to marry with the payments will require your website company help you do it.

Cheers Tommyrough

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

You’re really looking at Crowdfunding, and there are several solutions in place for it.

e.g. Paypal
    https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/lifecycle/crowdfunding/

So you need to think about what happens if someone doesn’t meet their target within the 30,60,90 days, does the money get returned?
    Or do you only take the payments when the target is reached and the time limit expires?

mr_plow
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

More to the point, and not wanting to pry into your idea, but how is it different to the 100s of websites that already offer a platform for donating money via friends/ family for various causes?

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/giving/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.