Home – New Forums Tech talk Telephones…2 businesses on one line?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    palto
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys
    We run 2 businesses and have 2 phone lines. What I want to do have only one phone line (which will be our ADSL for internet as well).
    Can we have 2 numbers on the one line. I know there are ways this can happen for in coming calls (rings differently)…but what about outgoing calls?
    Any ideas and who would be a good provider for this
    Both businesses don’t have a lot of calls coming in (maybe 1-2 calls per day)…they are mainly for outgoing calls
    Thanks

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

Can you use a different no (allocated to you) for the second or both lines?

This is easily achievable through different ways.

– Have both lines route onto a VOIP multi-line phone. You can have it ring with a different ID on the screen so you know which business the incoming call is referring to. This is the best option as your line will not be busy when you make outgoing calls. You will need to find a business grade VOIP company to supply this to you.
    – Telstra may be able to offer a duet line – two numbers on one line if you ask really nicely and find the right person to help you. Features will be limited though.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    arrowwise, post: 188013 wrote:
    – Telstra may be able to offer a duet line – two numbers on one line if you ask really nicely and find the right person to help you. Features will be limited though.

With the duet the features will be limited and may not suit your purpose though.. as you have only ONE LINE so you can only make one call out at one time.. they can be allocated to either number you have registered so the caller ID on the other end will see whichever business is calling (from you that is whether business 1 or business 2) although again you can ONLY MAKE ONE CALL AT A TIME…

So do look into it first..

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

Go VoIP.

http://www.maxo.com.au/business-hosted-pbx-plans

Grab yourself a couple of Yealink (super sexy looking) IP phones and you’re sorted.

Maclean

I.T. Guaranteed
    Participant
    • Total posts: 54
    Up

+1 for VOIP. You will save heap$.

I have used VOIP for years for outbound for both residential and business. Last year I swapped to VOIP inbound for business.

As for finding a VOIP provider. In the first instance go with your ISP if they offer it. (Telsta and Optus do not). If not then try mynetfone . I am not associated with them in any way. I just use them for my business line. Google for “WhirlpoolSaver Plan” for a hidden deal that’s not easily found on their website.

I have a couple of beginners articles about VOIP on my blog, with more to come.

As to buying a new voip phone. Not necessary. For business I have a good quality Logitech headset and call from outlook contacts. My VOIP is setup to redirect to my mobile after x rings, but there are lots of other options. I am considering a virtual receptionist.
    For residential I have a VOIP box (called an ATA), but some modern routers come with VOIP functionality built in. This box connects the VOIP to my standard uniden cordless phones which are used throughout the house.

Good Luck with it.

Jimmy1
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Phones are complicated these days but I am not sure the above posts solve your problem. You want 2 calls going out simultaneously with one phone line.

If you get Voip but not naked DSL, you can make calls on the standard phone line but use the Voip line if it is in use.

Voip can be unreliable, its worth having at least one standard line for business.

If I am wrong I would love to hear of a way I can make more than one call with one line.

I.T. Guaranteed
    Participant
    • Total posts: 54
    Up

The most common problem with VOIP is bandwidth. Since I moved my speed up to 1.5 Mbps years ago I have not had a problem. It is possible to watch videos, have torrents running and still VOIP, and I am still on ADSL1. I even use VOIP on my smartphone which I choose to over WiFi but it could be done over 3G or 4G.

The great thing about VOIP is that if you feel your VOIP provider is not up to the job then you can just switch VOIP providers, while keeping your internet service provider. It is also possible to switch ISPs but keep your VOIP provider.

Naked DSL is not relevant. Whether your telco provides you with a phone service is nothing to do with VOIP or with the number of VOIP lines you can have. If they provide a phone line, then that is an additional line for you and some like this as a backup. A smart phone can also be a backup for VOIP calls (incoming and outgoing). This is real handy if your internet goes belly up. Just set your mobile to data and start your Voip App.

It is possible to have multiple VOIP lines. For the incoming ones you need to be able to monitor them. That is, either have software (softphone) or hardware (ATA) or a combination of them monitoring the VOIP line/s. There are varieties of both that monitor multiple lines.

For outgoing again the choice is yours, softphones or hardware. I can call out from both VOIP lines simultaneously as well as the landline.

I hope this information helps.

Chris H
    • Total posts: 111
    Up

I agree that VoIP is the way to go.
    I have two business running on my VoIP system and it works great.
    My setup is the Gigaset wireless phones I have it programmed for two accounts and when the phone rings it shows me the account on the screen.

I use Telecube for my VoIP and I have nothing but good things to say.

There’s no need to be nervous about VoIP, it’s pretty simple to set it up so that if the calls are unanswered on your VoIP account that they are forwarded to your mobile or a landline number. This is what would happen if your internet connection fell over etc.

For my primary business I have a 1300 number plus two local numbers (One for Fax) this is setup as a fax to email service and works brilliantly.
    When I am overseas I connect my mobile to the Hotel WIFI and can make calls to Australia for the price of a local call.

The only thing you need are: the VoIP phones, a VoIP account and a good router with QoS.

Jimmy1
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Thanks for that. I didn’t realise you could have multiple Voip lines. That could be a cheap solution for a range of things. My ADSL2 runs at just under 20 mbps.

Losing a phone number for an established business, or not having a backup, would be a problem but I might look into adding voip.

Keeping up with technology is becoming a fulltime job :)

Chris H
    • Total posts: 111
    Up
    Jimmy1, post: 188977 wrote:
    Thanks for that. I didn’t realise you could have multiple Voip lines. That could be a cheap solution for a range of things. My ADSL2 runs at just under 20 mbps.

Losing a phone number for an established business, or not having a backup, would be a problem but I might look into adding voip.

Keeping up with technology is becoming a fulltime job :)

Hi Jimmy,

You would have back up, you just set the VoIP lines to divert to another number if they aren’t answered. This works in the event your internet connection falls over.
    I also have an answering machine built into my VoIP system that emails me the recorded messages so I can listen to them on the road.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.