Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Tell us what you think of our site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jerome Pearce
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

I’ll try and be brave about the responses!

We have tried to make our web site as simple as possible to both navigate and update. There is no HTML written in the web site, it is all generated from Mind Manager (a mind-mapping tool, but we find it very useful to generate HTML). As such the format is a bit limited, but very easy to maintain.

We do not have an email as we get too much spam when we do, and the phone number is a graphic which seems OK so far re Phone Spam (which we also used to get a lot). I may try the email as a graphic too.

Answers to Q’s above:

1. Web Site
    2. We do Process Design and Automation, Business Process Management.
    3. Our market is medium to large organisations, typically those using Metastorm BPM already.
    4. Not sure. The design and format is unusual, and I guess I want to know it is usable and easy enough to navigate. Much of the content is probably irrelevant to non-interested parties, be aware.

http://www.processmapping.com.au

RaspberryBlack
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

Hi Jerome,

now this really is an unusual format. The good point is that it looks easy enough at first sight, but actually you’re hiding loads of content behind way too many subnavigations and one has to click through all of them to get some information and always has to click back and forth instead of just reading a sitemap or using a site-search. (And may not be good for search engines either, but I haven’t checked on that thoroughly). Also the html that your system produced is stone-age (table based) which is likely to affect your SEO as well.

I hope I don’t overrun you with my feedback, but honestly it’s seldom a good idea to radically introduce new and/or unusual formats to the web. Users nowadays are used to pseudo-standards and expect certain pieces of information to be found at certain places and you’d usually stick with them to make it easy for your visitors. (The internet is a confusing place so that’s the only guide they have…)
    E.g. the navigation is expected in the header or on the left site. Now you’ve spread the navigation around the whole page and I find it quite hard to look up certain things as the eye has to jump all over the place… (Took me about 5 secs to find your about-link; bottom-right is usually no good corner for important information.)

And once you get used a little to the format of the site and find a link that actually leads to content, you get stunned by the change from a light white-orange layout to a boxed and almost crowded blue-white layout with bits and pieces of information and links everywhere and have to re-orientate completely. Suddenly you’re confronted with yet another pretty extensive navigation and don’t know if this is the sub-navigation of the link you just clicked or the other links of the category. Moreover this blue-white content layout doesn’t always look the same, it changes the style of the navigation and the logo in a way you hardly recognise the main-menu-rescue-link…

So actually I believe it’s way too easy to get lost on your website and you demand a lot of your visititors. Firstly find out if you really need that much information online and make sure it’s as well-structured as it can be. Then you’d really need some architecture in there by providing information in easily digestible serving sizes. In my eyes you definitely need a breadcrumb navigation and a main navigation that always makes clear where you are and what else there is to explore. Building a system of internal text links and a sitemap would also be helpful.
    Maybe you can outsource part of the information; e.g. have the developer’s guide on an extra website (subdomain) with it’s own navigation and structure, provide a link (and maybe a download) and make it clear that this is another website and doesn’t belong to your main website directly.

Of course you need something that makes it easy to maintain such a load of information, but there are other tools out there that allow for exactly this without restricting you in design decisions. Have you thought about a website with a proper CMS working in the background? (Drupal or Joomla just to name two well known ones).

I hope this helps :)
    Cheers, Tina

fredfarcle
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

The basic flow chart idea I really like, beyond that everything felt counter intuitive to use and difficult to assimilate the information.

As per previous comment, using tables for positioning is a long way from current best practice, probably not too good for search engine indexing either.

VehicleMods
    • Total posts: 124
    Up

I tend to agree with the others. I love flowcharts and stuff like that but users will have to drill down several levels to read anything about your company when you have just 3 seconds to grab their attention.

I think you could adapt the flowcharts so there is room for text on the screen and descriptions are displayed as the charts change.

I think the trend today in software is to flatter interfaces so you are going against the grain.

I suspect also this layered approach will work against you in the search engines.

Furthermore, I think the layout breaks the concept of Reader Gravity; the process of how the eye traverses the page which is also broken enough on screen based display. We already read 50% slower on screen and comprehend 30% less……..

Adam Stanecki
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

Hi Jerome,

It’s definitely a unique take on site design. I can see why you’ve tried it.

I think it risks confusing users. Ultimately you want to provide an interface that is familiar and comfortable. Don’t give any new visitors a reason to click away.

Your SEO will take a massive hit with this kind of design. That’s a killer right there.

I’d recommend seriously considering a complete re-write.

Best wishes, Adam.

IgniteDM
    • Total posts: 99
    Up

To be brutally honest – While I can appreciate you trying to be different, I had lost patience after I reached another level of the site that was in a completely different format and I was lost.

People looking for things on the internet are often time poor or only partly paying attention (while doing 100 other things at once) – so you need to make your site and the information on it, pretty well idiot proof to retain engagement.

Dont make people have to hunt for the information you are providing – the phone number should be on EVERY page for example. And at the very least, it should appear on the home page.

From an SEO perspective you will be hurting yourself by having a lack of content on the home page also.

Back to the drawing board?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.