Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Tell us what you think

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    sensory fx
    • Total posts: 92
    Up
    ::

Obviously we are targeting a niche market, and our site may not appeal to your general punter but …

Please give us some feedback on:

Look and feel
    Usability
    Understandability ( do you understand what we do )
    Improvements ?

TheCurved
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

I like the web design, it is very easy to use, very clear. Could maybe use more content, especially for SEO reasons. I love the what you are selling. I watched each and every video. Really nice, professional. I was however getting Javascript errors on the “03 samples” page in IE.

hotstuffbeauty
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

agree, it’s very cool. easy to use, gives enough information. well done.

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up
    sensory fx, post: 68335 wrote:
    Obviously we are targeting a niche market, and our site may not appeal to your general punter but …

Please give us some feedback on:

Look and feel
    Usability
    Understandability ( do you understand what we do )
    Improvements ?

I’m liking the general flow of the design. Your attention is instantly grabbed by the lighthouse and that brings the viewers vision towards the centre of the page. I was then keen to read a bit about your business.

Just some minor improvements:

SEO – http://www.sensoryfx.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=3

Google likes short URL’s that are descriptive for example. Having that descriptive URL such as http://www.sensoryfx.com/what-we-do or http://www.sensoryfx.com/aboutus would certainly appeal to the search engines. Also you could have descriptive page title tags.

Footer – You’re missing the copyright in the footer.

Cheers,
    Shaun

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

A big “like” from me…makes me wish that I was your niche market lol

Loved the videos !! and yes, I got what you were about immediately.

Wendy

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

I liked the overall site design however I have some point of improvement in relation to the content…

1 – You need to add more content. It’s not very easy to understand exactly what it is you’re selling without reading through the whole site (which most people won’t do) and deciphering all the text.
    Add a few extra lines which clearly explain exactly what you’re about without all of the flowery language.

2 – You need to re-write all of the current content on the site. It’s hard to read, isn’t easy to understand, and comes across as just impressive sounding words and a lot of waffle.

3 – Break up the paragraphs! On the intro page there’s a paragraph that’s like 400 words long, has 15 commas in it, and it’s only 2 sentences! Reading through it I felt like I was holding my breath underwater or something. You need to restructure it so that the wording has much better flow than it does now.

4 – The little heading montage you have on the pages needs to be changed. I’m talking about the bit that says
    “multisensory environments multisensory environments multisensory environments multisensory environments multisensory environments multisensory environments”

Multisensory isn’t even a word for a start, but regardless of that fact the visual effect you’re attempting to create isn’t working properly. It just looks as though someone got lazy and thought they’d fill an empty bit of space by repeating a catchy phrase. It’s not adding anything to the overall content on the pages.

– No phone numbers??? You say you’ve got offices in australia, japan, and usa however there’s only 1 email address? For a company that apparently has 3 multinational offices?
    I don’t think many people will be fooled by that, and it makes it feel as though you’re trying to deceive people who are browsing your site.

Be honest, say where you’re actually based and put down a phone number! Whenever I go to a site I want to see they actually have a land line, so I know they have a real office somewhere, not just a mobile phone number for some guy who’s actually a taxi driver in real life, and is diverting his emails to his mobile phone.

Otherwise a nice looking site, the issue’s you have are mostly to do with the content on the site and that should only take about 30 minutes to fix.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

One other thing I just noticed is on the contact page you’re claiming to have an office in japan but you haven’t used the japanese flag. The flag you’ve got there is the kamakaze flag!

Unless the workers in that office are intending for their product to crash and explode into my office i’d suggest you actually put the correct flag there instead.

sensory fx
    Up

Thanks everyone for your kind remarks.

Thanks LemonChip for your detailed review.

1., 2. and 3.
    I take this on board and admit we are not experts in the area of this kind of content or SEO. Being more attuned to writing ‘snazzy’ speak for the movie industry.

Multisensory is indeed a word and defined as an adjective. Its role is qualify a noun.

The little heading montage you mentioned may not be common practice in ‘web design’ but is a creative element reminiscent of print design. Probably because the guy who included those has over 30 years print design experience as a multifaceted graphic designer.

Ah, phone numbers … Im not sure how much experience you have dealing with the international market, but a single point of contact, with email as the first point is generally how its done. Well in our industry anyway.

Just to qualify that, when I say international, its more an ‘Asian’ type of thing. They are very set in their ways and very to the point. No fluffing around like here in Australia. Like in Japan, especially, is quite a culture shock coming from Australia.

Lol at the Kamkazi flag … that was quite intentional as that is the nickname of one of the guys in Japan.

Speaking of Japan, spare a thought for our guys based in Saitama , Tokyo.
    Currently they are on power rations, and will be for a month or so. Things are all quite up in the air at the moment over there.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

Hi, I looked at it for 1 second. I don’t know what you do.

That’s a problem for you.

sensory fx
    Up
    JohnSheppard, post: 68957 wrote:
    Hi, I looked at it for 1 second. I don’t know what you do.

That’s a problem for you.

You think a site should tell you in a second what its purpose is ?
    Its true that a first impression should be made quickly, grab your attention. Does our site not arouse your interest ?

People dont tend to randomly arrive at a site, see what they do, and suddenly decide … ‘hmmm, I think I will get some of that’. In a supermarket perhaps this is the case, but not when it comes to sophisticated services such as hours.

The subject of ‘Motion graphics’ is a complex one, and I don’t dare try to define it in its entirety. Its boundaries are mindboggling and would just be confusing to the lay person.

It may be different if we were ‘website developers’, I could say, ‘we do website’s and everyone immediately knows the scope of that statement.

If I say we do motion graphics, people look at you blankly …

Basically, motion graphics is the art of video and/or animation technology to create the illusion of motion or a transforming appearance. But that still leaves people in the dark, and it is far more complex than that.

Perhaps it would be better summed up as ‘we do cool stuff with video, 3d, graphics, motion capture, animation, audio visual art, and stuff …

Generally if someone comes to our site they are after something specific, we don’t really need to tell them what we do or how we do it.

sensory fx
    Up
    adam, post: 0 wrote:
    Not your average web designers, no.
    But the fact that the majority of the worlds top companies have Flash based websites says there is still plenty of confidence in the technology in the high end market space.

lol … mate, a company with plenty of work doesnt offer a 50% discount. It sets a precident, and devalues your brand.

Indeed, there isn’t much of a market in the small business area for ‘Flash’ or any other forms of motion graphics. There just isnt the bang for buck in the eyes of most.
    Those types of technologies are used more for entertaining, and retaining existing market share. Thats generally why its only the bigger players that use it.

There are exceptions to the rule of course. Some forward thinking small and medium enterprises may see the long term benefits in imprinting their brand quickly and effectively. And realise a static website doesnt have the same ‘entertainment factor’.

sensory fx
    Up

I must admit, we are dipping our toe in the water a little with this site and our services, knowing full well its not going to be a hit with everyone.
    The market isnt quite ready for the likes of what we do, as far as the internet is concerned.

The site is far from complete, and the samples are only a small part of what we do. The greatest problem being, most of our work is owned by big companies with lots of lawyers, and if we were to showcase that work you would be impressed, but we would be sued.

We are in the process of creating some new samples when time permits including ‘web design’.

sensory fx
    Up

LemonChip, you mentioned the Kamakazi flag giving the wrong impression …
    Can I ask why ‘Lemon Chip’ ?
    The thought of that leaves a sour taste in the mouth of most … And generally reference to a sour taste means a bad experience.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    sensory fx, post: 69000 wrote:
    You think a site should tell you in a second what its purpose is ?
    Its true that a first impression should be made quickly, grab your attention. Does our site not arouse your interest ?

People dont tend to randomly arrive at a site, see what they do, and suddenly decide … ‘hmmm, I think I will get some of that’. In a supermarket perhaps this is the case, but not when it comes to sophisticated services such as hours.

The subject of ‘Motion graphics’ is a complex one, and I don’t dare try to define it in its entirety. Its boundaries are mindboggling and would just be confusing to the lay person.

It may be different if we were ‘website developers’, I could say, ‘we do website’s and everyone immediately knows the scope of that statement.

If I say we do motion graphics, people look at you blankly …

Basically, motion graphics is the art of video and/or animation technology to create the illusion of motion or a transforming appearance. But that still leaves people in the dark, and it is far more complex than that.

Perhaps it would be better summed up as ‘we do cool stuff with video, 3d, graphics, motion capture, animation, audio visual art, and stuff …

Generally if someone comes to our site they are after something specific, we don’t really need to tell them what we do or how we do it.

Yeah you are right, lol…I guess I should have thought more about that post :) I supposed I assume traffic is coming from search engines which was probably faulty thinking.

Regardless I think what you want in an advert is instantly being able to know what I as a consumer am going to get from that product/service, regardless of how complicated the offering is. As you say “Create a powerful impression instantly”.

I am of the school of thought one should talk about their consumer’s wants and needs and leave the ‘what we do’ stuff to an about us page or something like that. I never met a person handing over money who cares about the people they are buying things from. They only care about themselves and what problem they are solving.

For example: If you are buying a bubblejet printer. Do you care that the staff at Officeworks are a gun outfit armed with extensive knowledge and training eager to serve you, the ignorant printing consumer? No way…you care about printing your invoices good and proper…

Part of being instant is describing benefits, not features…for example “Create a powerful impression”…that’s a feature. Features force people to spend time thinking…like, “why do I need a powerful impression, what’s in it for me”

sensory fx
    Up

Thanks John, I think you are right.
    Perhaps I should move the ‘introduction’ text to ‘abou’t and ‘about’ text to ‘samples’. Then write some new intro text spelling out exactly whats in it for the client.

I guess not having sold these kinds of services to small business before, our focus is a bit off. Were not pitching to big budget firms here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.