Home – New Forums Tech talk Telstra just called me. Advice please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    ::

I have just had a call from Telstra who provide me with 2 telephone lines.

I use one for phone/internet and one for fax/EFTPOS.

They told me that my line was due to be upgraded from analogue to digital, with one line and a modem to plug all my bits into. This sounds all fine and dandy but they dropped into the conversation that they would then take over my internet service!

Now as someone who hates working with telecoms and therefore resists any change I am surprised that they are able to force me to take them on as my ISP. I tried to challenge this but couldn’t get a straight answer.

Can any of you experts throw any light on this for me. Can Telstra force me to go with them by changing the hardware? And what are the consequences of changing the ISP other than losing the e-mails that go to us@ISP that may be out there.

Thanks

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

You’re quite sure it’s a directive and not an offer – sometimes they “expect” that because they are doing the upgrade you’d automatically follow with their offering.

I don’t believe they can force you into using their service.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

No I was able to defer the ‘offer’ because I didn’t want to deal with it right now. But the implication definitely seemed to be it was happening at some time anyway (in months not years) and my existing ISP would not be able to support the change.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Are you sure it was Telstra and not a reseller? I have so many of those calls I just don’t respond. If it’s genuine, then you should be able to call Telstra and find out for yourself if there are changes in your area.

I suggest you investigate first.

uwannawat
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Something like this happened in South Brisbane when Telstra was forced to move the exchange so changed everything to fibre. But other ISP’s did offer fibre based services otherwise they stood to hand all users to Telstra.

If you are not using a Telstra based internet service now, call you internet provider & ask them what they know about it.

Cheers
    Graham

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

I’d suggest asking over at: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/

Those guys know what’s going on!

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Why not call your current service provider and ask them about it? After all they should be informing their customers of any impending changes.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

That doesn’t sound right to me. As others have said – give your current ISP a call and ask them what they know… they’ll definitely know if they are being kicked off an exchange for whatever reason.

Good luck – dealing with Telstra isn’t the easiest thing in the world!

Cheers,
    John

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

And remember; with Telstra, if the call centre worker won’t give you what you want, keep calling back until you find one who will.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    bluepenguin, post: 122276 wrote:
    And remember; with Telstra, if the call centre worker won’t give you what you want, keep calling back until you find one who will.

i dare you to keep this strategy moving forward… but add one more requirement, the operator must work out of an Australian Call Centre…. :D

On a more serious note, your main objective is to establish the legitimacy of the changing ISP requirement. To do this you must speak with your existing ISP. I must say though, from my experience, most changes like this will be instigated from the ISP with a letter/email or other formal correspondence as they are losing clients there would be some SLA in place for the handover….

Furthermore, with the current day underhanded tactics playing out in the telecommunications field you should never trust anyone saying they are representing the BIG T or O or someone else similar. The vast majority will say they are, although are engaged to offer services from these organisations. They play on the fact the line is being upgraded and then say ‘would you like fries with that? oh no, not offer, they say you have no choice”….

Just gather all information you can, ask them company they work for, exact dates of changeover/rollout, deadlines, etc etc as the more you have written down the more you can explain this to your ISP at the moment.. Also, are you on contract to the current ISP?

Just some thoughts… sorry for no real answers though

Let us know how you go…

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Hamish Jones
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Having been involved in the telecommunications industry for years this doesn’t sound right.

Have you verified with Telstra whether in fact it was a legitimate call and not some sales rep using less than savoury tactics.

If you are not happy with the situation you may want to seek advice from the Ombudsman. – tio.com.au

Steve_Minshall, post: 122199 wrote:
    I have just had a call from Telstra who provide me with 2 telephone lines.

I use one for phone/internet and one for fax/EFTPOS.

They told me that my line was due to be upgraded from analogue to digital, with one line and a modem to plug all my bits into. This sounds all fine and dandy but they dropped into the conversation that they would then take over my internet service!

Now as someone who hates working with telecoms and therefore resists any change I am surprised that they are able to force me to take them on as my ISP. I tried to challenge this but couldn’t get a straight answer.

Can any of you experts throw any light on this for me. Can Telstra force me to go with them by changing the hardware? And what are the consequences of changing the ISP other than losing the e-mails that go to us@ISP that may be out there.

Thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.