Home – New Forums Starting your journey Terms & Conditions of a Quote

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    imTeresa
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

I need help in writing terms & conditions of quotes I do for jobs & selling materials.

I’ve been caught out when someone has paid for price stated on quote, even though there were changes and now they don’t want to pay the difference.

Kennethti
    • Total posts: 415
    Up
    imTeresa, post: 121650 wrote:
    I need help in writing terms & conditions of quotes I do for jobs & selling materials.

I’ve been caught out when someone has paid for price stated on quote, even though there were changes and now they don’t want to pay the difference.

Terms and conditions are a tool to help you to clarify what each party’s responsibilities are and can assist you in relation to producing to the other party written confirmation of what the agreement between the two of you was.

Terms and conditions are not the be all end all of things – it is part of your quoting, billing, and costing process. For example, where there’s changes before implementing changes you should re-quote and get them to sign off on changes and re-quote.

You can put together a standard one and there’s a few free or cheap services online to help you with that, however I would suggest that you should go through your process with a solicitor and work something out.

Glad to help out though if you need it.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    imTeresa, post: 121650 wrote:

scope creap is a tricky beast.
    Any time there is a request for variation a new document needs to be drafted with the changes in deliverables and payment documented thoroughly.

I may be wrong but arent quotes allowed to vary by law by 10% ?
    can anyone confirm?

Steve

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 121664 wrote:
    I may be wrong but arent quotes allowed to vary by law by 10% ?
    can anyone confirm?

No, there’s no such general rule.

Get a good lawyer to prepare your T&Cs.

SmartBizBlog
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Itemise, itemise, itemise…

If you are required to do a set price quote – then allow for a margin of creep. Sometimes I will set this at 20-30% of the total job. Sounds harsh, but trust me; after doing my arse in a few times in the past – I learned quickly.

It’s risk assessment – if you know the client; then you can start to adjust your risk buffer accordingly. For example, if they rarely try and add new things to an existing project; then lower your risk buffer (or don’t ;) ). If they are a PITA customer, then increase it.

Otherwise, you can enter into a T&M agreement with them; and specify in your quote exactly what materials are covered and how much initial time is estimated. Anything above and beyond must be covered in advance prior to commencement.

It’s always good to give them the two options – your creep customers will always go for the inflated flat rate quote over T&M – but still make it airtight.

meze
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    Kennethti, post: 121655 wrote:
    Terms and conditions are a tool to help you to clarify what each party’s responsibilities are and can assist you in relation to producing to the other party written confirmation of what the agreement between the two of you was.

Terms and conditions are not the be all end all of things – it is part of your quoting, billing, and costing process. For example, where there’s changes before implementing changes you should re-quote and get them to sign off on changes and re-quote.

You can put together a standard one and there’s a few free or cheap services online to help you with that, however I would suggest that you should go through your process with a solicitor and work something out.

Glad to help out though if you need it.

I Kenneth, I wondered if I could email you in regards to my terms & conditions?

Thanks so much!

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    meze, post: 174234 wrote:
    I Kenneth, I wondered if I could email you in regards to my terms & conditions? Thanks so much!

Hi Meze,
    As this thread is a little old you may want to send Kenneth a private message via the forum. This can be done in control panel here: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/private.php?do=newpm
    Or, you could get in touch with him via his web links in his forum signature.
    All the best.
    Cheers
    Peter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.