Home Forums Starting your journey Testing the waters of freelancer land

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    PowerofWords
    • Total posts: 179

Hey all,

I have been a freelancer plus book coach for years, and I thought, why not make my own service marketplace?

I have the SEO skills and can do most of the work myself. Rather than supporting US-led marketplaces, I aim to gather my freelance buddies around in a platform of high quality, specific gigs.

That said, it’s up to the market what they want, not me…

As a freelancer, what would you prefer:

• High pricing, networking/promotions, and proposal process (normal course of events) or
    • Medium pricing, escrow and instant payments on delivery?

I thank all for their feedback and discouragement. Ha ha.

Just to let you all know, this theme was full of bugs and holes in the theme system so we have not gotten far along. But lessons were learned. I will stick to my knitting as they say.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472
    PowerofWords, post: 269916, member: 979 wrote:
    From the business owner/outsourcer perspective, would you prefer:

• A local specialty freelancer who can still be found next week or next year, is great at what they do and has related qualifications.
    • An overseas freelancer who is cheaper, but may not be around next year.

This is a little offensive actually, you are saying that because they are from overseas, they may not be here next week. But in reality because they are local they may also not be here next week. I have tried to use locals, who have disappeared, it’s not uncommon.

If thats your only selling point, give up now.

My other comment would be do we need yet another services directory site.

And it seems that everyone thinks they have SEO skills.

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,127

I am not sure that you are asking the right questions or that the assumptions behind them are correct.

It is notoriously hard to get traction in two way marketplaces because you have to win the trust and have front and back ends that suit both sides.

If I were to do it, I would choose a niche based on a real problem I know many have or by finding a significant efficiency not easily (or at all) in the existing marketplace.

Cheers

bb1
    Participant

To pickup on Pauls comment, just go back through the history on here, every man/woman and their dog have proposed it, it’s a bit like running a lawn mowing service, everyone thinks it’s easy so lets do it.

RunicConvenience
    • Total posts: 186

I prefer overseas freelancers, they are more expensive but they don’t give up like locals do. more saturation of “markets” just makes it harder for “customers” to find you. do not give people more directories to dig through they will just give up and stick with the bigger ones

bb1
    Participant
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.