Home – New Forums Starting your journey Testing the waters on ebay prior to setting up a website. Good idea?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Vivienne
    • Total posts: 34
    Up
    ::

I’ve decided that an ebay store is probably not the best way to go as I do think it’s is more suitable for bargain shopping.
    I’m wondering whether a website would be a very complicated thing to manage for someone who’s never had one and has zero business experience?

vhit
    • Total posts: 70
    Up

I think it is not viable for a business to rely solely on eBay.

It is so much out of your control. A few unfair negative feedback and you’re gone!

I think it is great market research. You can see exactly what price things sell for, and how frequently they sell.

With that information, I try to sell products that I could flog off on eBay- in a worst case scenario. To help reduce my risk when buying products.

Vivienne
    Up

I noticed that some people have an FB page with the items they want to sell.
    I realise there’s no way for them to order and pay besides messaging but it looks like a more suitable short term platform to test the waters. Seems less cluttered and can look quite stylish.
    I have no Idea what they charge but I’ll look into it.

Has anyone done this?

GlensWebDesign
    • Total posts: 45
    Up
    Vivienne, post: 193380 wrote:
    I noticed that some people have an FB page with the items they want to sell.
    I realise there’s no way for them to order and pay besides messaging but it looks like a more suitable short term platform to test the waters.

Yeah a friend of mine stumbled across an “app” that enables people to create a store set up on the facebook page but they charge you a monthly fee or something like that after the free trial period.

I’ve not heard of anyone yet that has given any feedback on the viability of this, but I do know that if you include facebook as part of your mix, you must must must use it to get people to engage with you and engage back. Otherwise it becomes meaningless.

Marketing draws people to you, but its the engagement that turns visitors into buyers.

Personally, I’d go for using social media to share your successes and who and what you are about, give the viewers an insight into what you are like, bond with you on a professional level in some way, get them to trust you and understand that you are passionate in what you do etc etc etc.

Then refer them to your website, and there you will have far more control than an eBay store.

:)

Lisa Win
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi Vivienne,

I’ve written a post about validating a business idea that you might find helpful:

http://simplystartingabusiness.com.au/how-to-really-validate-your-business-idea/

There are a few options for selling on Facebook, such as Selz and there are also easy, cheap options for setting up a website, such as Spiffy Stores. If your customers are hanging out on Facebook then Facebook ads are also a pretty cheap way to reach them.

Good luck!

Lisa Win
    Simply Starting a Business

Vivienne
    Up

Great article Lisa.

Confidence in a product is a big thing with me as well as the endless questions….is this a stupid idea? Would anyone buy it? Etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.