Home – New Forums Logistics TGA agent for imported medicines

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Be
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I am lost here. I am starting a new import business and looking to import a kind of massage deep heat liniment/oil used in sport. First I was told that its under NICNAS and today I rang TGA to confirms, they now say that it could be TGA that regulates them. As I munch through hundreds of pages of guideline. I am already tired not even half way through. Does anyone know if we do have any agency that does TGA registration etc. for us? Or this is something that the importer will have to go through.

Regards,

Be

DANKS
    • Total posts: 134
    Up

Yeah the TGA are a pain in the backside to deal with, thats why i got out of human grade products…. plus it was costing me an arm and a leg. Theres a reason why supplements in the states are almost half the price as they are here even with the strong AUD..

I think i just googled TGA consultants, found a few there. Its going to cost you an arm and leg to get the products registered and the process takes a while but it will be worth while in the end.

Good luck…

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Be,

Quote:
    Does anyone know if we do have any agency that does TGA registration etc. for us?

I have been working in the complementary medicine sector for more than 25 years, and would never dream of trying to negotiate listing a product with the TGA without the guidance of an experienced regulatory expert, so I encourage you to get outside assistance with this. In my flower essence business, we use Robert Forbes and Associates for this – they are very experienced, and highly regarded in the industry.

Quote:
    Is this something that the importer will have to go through?

If by ‘importer’ you’re referring to the company who helps you with the logistics and transport, then no, they can’t look after this. You need to have all your TGA requirements sorted out prior to importing in commercial quantities.

Re Dan’s comment,

Quote:
    Its going to cost you an arm and leg to get the products registered and the process takes a while but it will be worth while in the end.

It IS going to be quite an investment in time and money to get your product approved by the TGA, and it isn’t uncommon for the costs involved to make importing on a small scale unviable, so I encourage you to do some really serious research and planning first and to be comfortable that the return on your investment will be worthwhile for you.

In some instances the manufacturing standards in the country you’re looking to import from or at the individual company involved won’t meet the criteria for Australian therapeutic goods manufacture, so you want your consultants to do an assessment of the situation prior to embarking on the actual approval process. That should reveal whether getting the product listed with the TGA is possible without incurring additional costs, which again, could affect the viability of your venture.

I hope that helps Be. I’m going to be offline now for until next week, but am happy to chat more about this when I get back if you like.

All the best,
    Jayne

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.