Home – New Forums Marketing mastery The #1 thing people do wrong with Social Media Marketing…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up
    ::

Great post John, but one the social media gurus may not want to hear. For most it is a case of jumping into the social media space because everyone else is. Selling results is a guaranteed and measurable as first page on Google.

The reality is some business are not that exciting and their value is in doing what they do best and not being publisher on topics that their target couldn’t care less about.

The dust hasn’t fully settled with all this social media space, but more data is coming in to justify it’s value.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    arrowwise, post: 229980, member: 54026 wrote:
    Selling results is a guaranteed and measurable as first page on Google.

You can track and measure the performance of any marketing channel if done right. I’m not “SEO is better than SMM” Not by any means.

I mean, if you can get leverage from Youtube videos then go for it.

What grinds me gears however are people jumping on the SMM bandwagon – selling fluffy nonsense.

Ive been in cafes and overheard conversations like this …

(social media person) “Yes, that’s right, for just $1,900 we can setup your FB page and manage it for you each month. Here’s another company that use our services, you can see they now have 1,000 likes”

You can’t pay rent with likes and follows.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Yup – show me the money, if it ain’t translating to goals I can see in Analytics or some other measurable effect (uptick in brand search maybe) then its not got room on my radar screen.

You can have all the likes and shares in the world and not move those measurable metrics a nudge.

robynRHD
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

I agree with the idea of “a 7:1 ratio of value add posts vs self promo posts” but sometimes think people forget to post the “1”. I’ve followed some Facebook pages for months without ever realising they had something to sell.

Make sure that your page is not just viewed as one that shares good info and humorous quotes. It should occasionally send people directly to your website, whether to read a blog post with a CTA at the end, or to a landing page for a special offer or new product announcement.

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

The number one mistake is losing sight of the Hard Numbers like Inputs into your database.

Try getting a loan from your bank or a savvy investor with social media numbers

MD Clean
    Participant
    • Total posts: 308
    Up
    Warren Cottis, post: 230167, member: 129 wrote:
    The number one mistake is losing sight of the Hard Numbers like Inputs into your database.

Try getting a loan from your bank or a savvy investor with social media numbers
    How many like do you have and how much do you need Warren?

MD Clean
    Participant
    Up

Great post Stuart – the world is changing and SMB’s don’t know how to change with it.

The businesses that do well out of SMM aren’t unicorns because there are so many of them – they just know what works, are very disciplined and execute well – just like any field of endeavor.

I feel it is important to consider that demographics and human behavior is changing, particularly in relation to the screens people are using and strategies have to change with it. It wasn’t long ago that Gerry Harvey categorically ruled out having a web store because people didn’t actually buy stuff off the internet.

So we have discovered likes are worthless and Twitter is becoming less relevant by the day which are important because they inform us what not to do. And Stuart has added his experience around 1 thing not to do – a common trap.

So what, precisely, is working?

Find that out, apply it rigorously and go to the bank!

JbytheBay
    • Total posts: 38
    Up

Great post thank you, in regards to measuring Social media performance (imo essential since it’s a huge investment of time), Google Analytics measure Social media conversions in the Social Reports, you can find them under Traffic Sources.

For Social reports to work you must have at least one goal active. Only using ecommerce tracking won’t work And don’t use a URL shortener like bit.ly or Buffer, Google will not be able to tell that the traffic comes from Facebook.com or Twitter.com etc, it will be assigned to direct traffic instead of social.

There are a few things you can check;

· How your social media visits compare with your other traffic sources (Social Source Graphs)
    · What content on your site is most popular with the social media crowd
    · Conversions from Social visits
    · Also an Assisted vs. Last Interaction Analysis report, so you can see when someone came from social media but later on returned via direct url and made a purchase.
    · There’s also a Social Visitors Flow Report you can look at to see behaviour from social visitors, but this can be information overload imo

here’s a screenshot of conversions by social source

With the above you should be able to do it yourself, however if anyone need help or are interested in a Social media analysis I’m offering a Flying Solo special price for the first 5 people to contact me for $85, this will also include assistance with setting up goals (other setup issues, custom reports, dashboards) and will also have a look/see and make recommendations from an analytics point of view on other issues. (ps. I will not need your password, but you will have to add me as a user in your Analytics account)

Regards
    Jeanette

MD Clean
    Participant
    Up
    JbytheBay, post: 230410, member: 77347 wrote:
    Great post thank you, in regards to measuring Social media performance (imo essential since it’s a huge investment of time), Google Analytics measure Social media conversions in the Social Reports, you can find them under Traffic Sources.

For Social reports to work you must have at least one goal active. Only using ecommerce tracking won’t work And don’t use a URL shortener like bit.ly or Buffer, Google will not be able to tell that the traffic comes from Facebook.com or Twitter.com etc, it will be assigned to direct traffic instead of social.

There are a few things you can check;

· How your social media visits compare with your other traffic sources (Social Source Graphs)
    · What content on your site is most popular with the social media crowd
    · Conversions from Social visits
    · Also an Assisted vs. Last Interaction Analysis report, so you can see when someone came from social media but later on returned via direct url and made a purchase.
    · There’s also a Social Visitors Flow Report you can look at to see behaviour from social visitors, but this can be information overload imo

here’s a screenshot of conversions by social source

With the above you should be able to do it yourself, however if anyone need help or are interested in a Social media analysis I’m offering a Flying Solo special price for the first 5 people to contact me for $85, this will also include assistance with setting up goals (other setup issues, custom reports, dashboards) and will also have a look/see and make recommendations from an analytics point of view on other issues. (ps. I will not need your password, but you will have to add me as a user in your Analytics account)

Regards
    Jeanette
    Hi Jeanette,

Super detailed and informative post – thanks for taking the time.

I would like to book in your special price… I don’t have an account you can set up now but can pay up front and get in contact later.

Is that OK?

JbytheBay
    Up

Hi Paul,
    yes that’s 100 %, I’ll message you with my email.
    Jeanette

Karen Francis
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

The main thrust of social media in my opinion is being social!

“You should do social media because you want to connect to your audience on another level.”

If it is paid ads, yes you should expect leads.. if it’s organic social media, you should expect interactions. In saying that, social media also delivers results through increased levels of:

• Customer engagement
    • Customer advocates
    • Brand mentions
    • Site interaction
    • Drive potential customers with paid ads
    • Organic SEO strength
    • And more
    MD Clean
    Participant
    Up
    Karen Francis, post: 230448, member: 72549 wrote:
    I have recently written a blog post on this very topic!

The main thrust of social media in my opinion is being social!

“You should do social media because you want to connect to your audience on another level.”

If it is paid ads, yes you should expect leads.. if it’s organic social media, you should expect interactions. Is saying that, social media also delivers results through increased levels of:

• Customer engagement
    • Customer advocates
    • Brand mentions
    • Site interaction
    • Drive potential customers with paid ads
    • Organic SEO strength
    • And more

Hi Karen,

I just read your blog post but it didn’t answer the questions I have as a small business owner, principally, what is my return on the investment of time or money I am investing on a platform?

Nor does it tell me how to do at least one thing I will need to do well.

It kind of proves the point that others in this thread have made.

JbytheBay
    Up

Well… I’m back and I’m bearing gifts. Mostly as apology for my blatant self promotion earlier in the thread, also as thanks to Dave for not deleting my first post.

I’ll leave the How’s of Social Media to the Social Media experts, but will discuss how you can measure the Why’s of Social Media

The Why’s to me are simply Conversions and Brand Awareness. In my previous post I talked about how you can measure Social Media Conversions and in this post I’ll share how you can measure Brand Awareness.

Social Media conversions are measured within Analytics and Brand Awareness are measured outside of Analytics.

The metrics we use to measure the Social Media impact on your Brand are;

1. Brand Awareness Conversion Rate (comments per post)
    2. Amplification Rate (re-tweets or shares)
    3. Applause Rate (Favorites/likes)

BA conversion rate is calculated
    # Comments/#Posts

Amplification Rate is calculated
    # Shares/# Posts

Applause Rate is calculated
    #Favorites/#Posts

ok so basically you’ll need to create an excel sheet like this one below and calculate your Metrics for the month.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptkygqtnz2gizou/Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 9.37.21 AM.png?dl=0

For example, say you had 8 Tweets and 13 comments, 14 Retweets and 3 Favorites for the month

Your metrics will look like this

BA conversion

Amplification Rate

Applause Rate

On it’s own, these numbers tell you NOTHING, but if you plot this data over time, you can see if your Social Media efforts are having an impact or not. If you don’t see this graph going up, don’t throw in the towel, you need to
    a) Tweak your Social Media campaigns (content or frequency of Tweets/Posts) or
    b) Spend your time and money elsewhere on a Social Media site where you are having an impact.

I hope all is now forgiven :)

Happy Easter

Ps. Oh and don’t forget to look at spikes and dips, so you can go back and look at what it was you did that was awesome, or in the case of a dip, what you did that sucked so bad no one wanted to talk to you.

Karen Francis
    • Total posts: 67
    Up
    MD Clean, post: 230460, member: 58759 wrote:
    Hi Karen,

I just read your blog post but it didn’t answer the questions I have as a small business owner, principally, what is my return on the investment of time or money I am investing on a platform?

Hi Paul, I hope the response from [USER=77347]@JbytheBay[/USER] can give you further insights as well.

ROI is hard to fully measure from a social media platform, even with the best tracking tools, as a potential customer can see you multiple times before making a purchase… and this is the point.

Let’s look at monetising it.
    On average the click through rate at position 1 is 30-35%, position 2 around 20% and position 3 around 10-15%… that’s between 60% and 75% of clicks to a website occur in the top 3 positions. (research “Google Organic CTR Advanced Web Ranking”)

Google can see from a websites analytics data how many people come from Social Media and how engaged they are on your site. This gets factored into the position your site is ranked in Google search results.

If the information you share on social media is well crafted, relevant to potential buyers and done often, then your products and brand will remain high in someone’s mind when they are seeking to purchase.

However they may come to your site through organic search or another method rather than social when the purchase happens.

If your website shows in those top 3 positions when people search for your products, then you have 60-75% market share. If your brand becomes well known as a result of social media, then your sales increase – and this is the best measure.

So.. as to time and costs investment? I’m going to use round numbers.
    Let’s say you to hire a junior, in-house part time to do the work – 1 day a week, on a $50k salary that’s $10k a year.
    They may need training in how to do this kind of work, or in your products and services – lets add $2k.
    You may also need to invest in hardware / cameras / software / editing tools – lets add $3k.
    So, a $15k investment in year 1, with the aim of reaching position 1,2 or 3.

Lets go for gold and say you got to position 1 in that year. The question then becomes is $15k investment worth an additional 30-35% in sales for your business.

I hope that gives you a gist of things, there certainly is plenty of information in this thread, and any campaign needs to be structured to the individual needs and goals of the business.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    Karen Francis, post: 230476, member: 72549 wrote:
    …Google can see from a websites analytics data how many people come from Social Media and how engaged they are on your site. This gets factored into the position your site is ranked in Google search results…
    Hi Karen,
    I know this thread is about social media but if a statement about SEs in it seems to be incorrect, I feel it is important to seek clarification…

It seems many folk want to believe that G uses Analytics data in its ranking signal for such things as “engagement”.

The clearest statements I’ve seen from G spokespeople are:

Jun 15: Google Analytics Data is Not Used in Google Search Ranking

“This was one of the many questions raised by Danny Sullivan at SMX Advanced earlier this month during the Google AMA with Gary Illyes.

Gary Illyes was quite emphatic in his response that Google does not use any kind of Analytics data with their ranking. “We don’t use that,” he said. He then put his hand on his heart and said, “I can do this and say that we don’t use Google Analytics.”

In the same conversation, Illyes also said they do not use click data from the search results in ranking either.”

Nov 15: User Engagement as a Google Search Ranking Factor

“Despite both John Mueller and Gary Ullyes saying things like CTR and Google Analytics don’t have any impact on rankings, other than to test updated ranking signals, many people still believe otherwise.”

I know that Moz ran a study which said there was a correlation with these factors but a repeat of the study by another SEO business could not replicate its findings. Correlation does NOT equal causation.

Then there is the commonsense argument…

Smartphone searches have grown to be around 50% of all G searches in as little as 8 years.

The Analytics “engagement” parameters of session duration, pages viewed per visit and bounce rates for mobile accesses are much worse than for desktop accesses.

If G used engagement figures as a ranking signal then the more site visitors you had to your site on mobile devices, the worse your site’s ranking would be.

Why would we want mobile enhanced sites if they buried us in the search results?

Perhaps you can provide us with updated info from G that changes G’s position as I understand it.

PS: I’m a big fan of Michael Martinez from SEO Theory. Folks may find this article of use:

Many thanks & Regs,
    JohnW

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.