Home – New Forums Get productive The Art of Patience

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JamesH
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

I know there are a lot of threads on these forums regarding motivation and positive energy, but I feel that as this is my first business startup (MMA Outpost, an online Mixed Martial Arts retailer) I am suffering from the opposite of this – impatience.

My constant high level of enthusiasm has meant that I am constantly struggling with playing ‘the waiting game’. I have my business plan in place, and it feels like every small step along the way is followed by a another holdup… I just can’t seem to hit a nice “flow”!

Admittedly I am a textbook Gen-Y profile (being used to instant communication and information) – is this something unique to my situation, or are there others out there who have experienced the same thing? What strategies did you use to try and overcome this?

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    JamesH, post: 71874 wrote:
    Admittedly I am a textbook Gen-Y profile (being used to instant communication and information) – is this something unique to my situation, or are there others out there who have experienced the same thing? What strategies did you use to try and overcome this?

Love your enthusiasm James !!

When I was a kid we used to wait for the mailman to deliver letters…and I remember getting our first colour TV. I overcame impatience by getting older :)

Wendy

JamesH
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    Couple It, post: 71880 wrote:
    I overcame impatience by getting older :)

How long will that take?

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

lol…love it !! I feel like you’re in the back seat on a very long car ride.

Okay, can you channel all that enthusiasm into a project that can run parallel to your new business? Can you begin to template a newsletter, gather information and write articles? Or if that’s too boring for you…

Think outside the square…is there something else you can focus on for the moment that will benefit your business down the track?

And, to answer your question, not as long as you may think :)

Wendy

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

Hey James,

I think that is probably natural, especially for your first business. You have some many great ideas and you want to do everything at once – well atleast that is how I felt(feel).

I’ve found if I’m following my plan and making progress then I slowly lose my impatience and cruise along. Also having other ongoing interests so you are not solely focussed on the business is helpful.

The ‘flow’ will come naturally as your business progresses. It can never be smooth sailing from day one. Think of every ‘holdup’ as a chance to improve or fix something. You can’t expect to get everything right first time. It’s a continual learning and improvement curve.

What’s your website by the way? I’ve found heaps of good Boxing/MMA stores in the States, but not many in OZ or NZ. Prices are good in the states but shipping is excessive. Have found product prices in OZ much higher though than the states, yet with the stronger AUD I would expect them to be more competitive.. How are you finding the market?

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

Maybe also consider getting a business partner. The extra energy over time and through the ups and downs makes a very big difference. To give you an idea on the importance of having at least two stakeholders, we would mark it as a serious negative for a business investment if there was only one key stakeholder (not that it can’t be overcome). There are exceptions but it is very hard for one person to have all the motivation all the time.

Don’t be too worried about being impatient. If it motivates you to work harder and faster then it’s a good thing.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Yeah! Having a business partner will create extra motivation and a helping hand when pressure arrives. Having a business is not an easy task, so many difficult situations will surface before you succeed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.