Home – New Forums Logistics The best national courier service?!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    CuppingAndAcupuncture
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    ::

Hey All,

Firt of all, Merry Christmas!

I will soon need to ship quite large parcels(10kg, 1m x 40cm x 20cm) across Australia. I am searching for a door to door provider but have no idea who to choose.

Anyone had good/bad experiences with any companies?

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

From personal experience, I don’t think there is one “master courier” who’s great at everything. The follow ones I use.

Interstate to Business
    I generally use StarTrack express when going interstate to a business as they are normally very reliable and delivery between 9-5. Because of the larger delivery window, they are normally Cheaper.

Interstate Personal
    I use Toll, they can normally narrow their delivery time frames down (To a bout 4 hours) and have a Saturday delivery.

Sydney Metro
    Go Logistics. Very affordable and reliable, takes great care of packages. Pickup and Delivery Sydney Metro only. (Avaliable for interstate delivery, but I don’t use them) – AM pickup for PM delivery and Visa versa.

Out of Metro Areas
    Normally most affordable to use Australia post, but I must stress, only do so with registered post that has insurance. Their track record for care is pretty average. Make sure you package correctly.

I’m sure there are many more courier companies out there that may live do just as good a job, but these are my preferred ones and they have served me well.

CuppingAndAcupuncture
    Up

Thanks for that Jake.

Would you have any ball park figure to post my parcel size interstate using Toll or Startrack, door to door?

Emroy, post: 22179 wrote:
    From personal experience, I don’t think there is one “master courier” who’s great at everything. The follow ones I use.

Interstate to Business
    I generally use StarTrack express when going interstate to a business as they are normally very reliable and delivery between 9-5. Because of the larger delivery window, they are normally Cheaper.

Interstate Personal
    I use Toll, they can normally narrow their delivery time frames down (To a bout 4 hours) and have a Saturday delivery.

Sydney Metro
    Go Logistics. Very affordable and reliable, takes great care of packages. Pickup and Delivery Sydney Metro only. (Avaliable for interstate delivery, but I don’t use them) – AM pickup for PM delivery and Visa versa.

Out of Metro Areas
    Normally most affordable to use Australia post, but I must stress, only do so with registered post that has insurance. Their track record for care is pretty average. Make sure you package correctly.

I’m sure there are many more courier companies out there that may live do just as good a job, but these are my preferred ones and they have served me well.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up

There are so many variable involved, I couldn’t give you an accurate figure.

If you register with Toll, they have an online system you can use to estimate the cost of pickup + delivery. With Startrack, it’s a simple phone call.

Regards,

Jake

CuppingAndAcupuncture
    Up

Thanks for the advice.
    I will give them a buzz once the ‘holiday’ period comes to an end.

Cheers

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

I’d just like to say … whatever you do … DO NOT use Australian Air Express!

We have had SO many problems with them!

The couriers seem to think that no one is ever home – even though I work from home – and so can’t be bothered walking up one flight of stairs.

I ordered some stuff from a company just before Christmas and the company shipped to have it here on Christmas Eve. It arrived, but the courier couldn’t be bothered walking up the stairs so left a consignment note. The note let me know that I could go to Tullamarine on Boxing Day and pick up my stuff – or wait until the 29th when they would reattempt delivery.

So I called the company to complain …

They said I was a liar because the courier had said he’d knocked and there was no answer (to put that in perspective, my office desk is about 2cm away from the front door. In order to knock on that door they would have to pass the window in front of my desk. That morning, I had been sitting at my desk all morning WAITING for said package) – and she hung up on me.

This is not the first time this has happened.

I’ve had good experiences with Star Trak.

Just avoid AaE no matter what!

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Hahha!

Leela, I was reading too quickly – I thought you said:

“I’ve had good experiences with Star Trek.”

Star Trek.

lol

Cheers

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Australia post have a parcel contract rate, we are looking at investigating with them. You need to be sending 1000+ parcels per year to qualify.

For us size and weight are an issue, our boxes tend to be a bit big and on occasions over 22kg. They pick up from you.

We have found Fastway to be very good. They turn up pretty much as soon as when they say they will.

NQX, a pain because of the week long delay in getting an account set up. Also big window on the pickup time – a pain cos we only go to our storage to pack and they does not take long, so we are not there time infinitum…

Then there is Couriers Please they were recommended for delivery to certain of our customers.

But you need to pick and choose – Fastway wants to charge us the same to deliver a box 185 km away in the Brisbane Valley as they do to deliver to Adelaide…so look at coverage maps and work out best for which destination…

Sadly only a limited amount of research can be done on the web as most places want to call to quote, rather than have an online calculator.

Then of course is the consultancy angle – once you have done the research, you knowledge can potentially be ‘sold’ to other businesses, as in ‘logistics consultant’

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up
    bradzo, post: 22247 wrote:
    Hahha!

Leela, I was reading too quickly – I thought you said:

“I’ve had good experiences with Star Trek.”

Star Trek.

lol

Cheers

Ha!

I have had good experiences with Star TREK too … Old school geek!

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

We are in an OUT OF METRO area and the best courier service for us for the past 18 years has been Couriers Please http://www.couriersplease.com.au They deliver all over Australia.

You can buy packs of coupons or bags or even coupons for pick up interstate. They have been the most reliable service. I purchase coupons in advance as it’s cheaper that way and they pick up and deliver with a scanner barcode on our office window even if I’m not at the home office. And you can track all the parcels online and even see who signed for them.

For smaller parcels I use Australia Post.

And I agree with Leela re Australian Air Express.

Fastaway are ok. But Couriers Please is still the best for us.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up
    LeelaCosgrove, post: 22238 wrote:
    I’d just like to say … whatever you do … DO NOT use Australian Air Express!

We have had SO many problems with them!

I’ve had similar problems with them, as I have with all of Australia Post. (AAE is owned by Australia Post) Only use them as a lastresort!

KarenC, post: 22251 wrote:
    We are in an OUT OF METRO area and the best courier service for us for the past 18 years has been Couriers Please http://www.couriersplease.com.au They deliver all over Australia.
    It may just have been because I’ve had a bad few drivers, but couriers please drivers so often never came to pick up when they were supposed to. Incredibly unreliable and bad service when I called.
    King
    Up

Crikey, just compared quotes,
    Courier please will cost $406
    Fastway $250 and I thought Fastway was expensive…..that’s why I made the 4hr round trip to deliver.

one1
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

If you are starting off and not sending many parcels, then most of the major courier companies (AAE, Startrack, Toll etc.) will not be interested in you. You will need to provide estimated number of packages being sent when you call them up and if your figure is too low, you will most likely get nowhere.

However the good news is that there are courier companies which cater to smaller senders. The largest two of these companies that I know of are Fastway Couriers and Couriers Please. These couriers are set up with an independent franchise model so that often each driver (or each area) is a separate franchise. Often the drivers are paid based on how many packages they pickup and drop-off.

If you send enough parcels (say at least 10 per week) then you should be able to get an account with one of the majors (AAE, Startrack, Toll etc.). However pricing may be high so it is often good to utilize both a major and a prepaid courier company. For smaller shipments, you may be able to get a cheap price on 3kg and 5kg satchels (account or prepaid).

Here are a few thoughts from me based on my experience with a few of the companies:

Couriers Please
    Overall they are good. It can depend a bit on your driver. Loss rate recently is very low.

Fastway
    Cheap prices. Usually reasonable service. But in my opinion – dangerous. Over the last four years or so many IT distributors tried using Fastway and most of them stopped in less then 6 months. Seems items sent by valuable senders targeted. First hand experience of boxes having being opened and items missing. Lodged over 10 insurance claims with them and for expensive claims, they did everything possible to delay and not pay. Also they don’t deliver & pickup on 29,30,31 Dec when the other couriers do.

AAE
    Excellent when dealing with businesses (eg. picking up or delivering to businesses). Sometimes they rush when delivering to residential addresses and wait only a few seconds before leaving a card. They are the only courier (other than Auspost) that delivers to PO boxes so you may want to consider them on this fact alone). Very low loss rate. Also in many states (eg NSW) if no-one is home, they will leave a card and take the item to the local post office. Sometimes they measure cubic weights incorrectly – so check your bills carefully. Expensive for large items to far away places.

Startrack
    Also very good, but better if you deliver mainly to business addresses. When opening an account with them they will ask about your percentage of business vs residential deliveries. If you say that residential is more then 10% expect higher prices or no account. Low loss rate.

Toll Ipec
    Quite OK. Good for larger items. Loss/damage rate is higher than AAE/Startrack but still acceptable.

Overall, if you are sending 10-100 items per week, I think :

Local Deliveries: Couriers Please
    Small items to major cities: Couriers Please / AAE / Startrack
    Small items to country: AAE / Toll
    Large items to major cities: Couriers Please / Startrack
    Large items to country: Toll

King
    Up

do courier companies include insurance on their products?

I am saddened to think some staff would steal items from the packages.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up

Edited as I was corrected by King below.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.