Home Forums Get productive The Best Small Business Books Shelf

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    seocourse
    • Total posts: 918

Mmm

Good topic

here are some on top of the laptop.

Freakonomics –> love it

How Starbucks saved my life

The 4 hour work week –> Tim Ferris (he is my personal Jedi MASTER)

Click from Bill Tancer (good for all the data/online marketers)

Business as UnUsual –> about the creator of the Bodyshop.

Before you quit your job –. from the same Guru of Rich Dad Poor Dad…

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    smallspark, post: 46436 wrote:
    One of my favourites is Made To Stick by Chip and Dan Heath.

John, I am so with you on that. It is fabulous. Have you also read their more recent one Switch? It’s definitely worth checking out.

:)

Jayne

wecancreate
    • Total posts: 94

Hey everyone,

Apart from some of the Seth Godin books out there (as mentioned by one of the posters), I would personally add the following book that I just recently finished reading:

“Rework” by Jason Fried & David Heinemeir Hansson

It’s full of great tips about doing business unconventionally. I’ve written up somewhat of a review/summary of it if any of you are interested. Check it out here.

Adam Wozniak
    http://www.wecancreate.com – affordable, high quality web and graphic design

engs
    • Total posts: 16

I found all the books that I would recommend already on the list. One thing that I’ve found really useful is Audible.com. You can immediately download a lot of these books as audiobooks. Quite a few of them are unabridged too, which is a bonus. I listen to them in the car when I have to travel long distances or on the iPod as I go for a walk with the baby. Very useful way of absorbing books whilst multi-tasking.

Philip Stephens
    • Total posts: 8

I found “What would Google Do?” by Jeff Jarvis to be a very thought provoking book.

Borrowed it from the library and read it twice, and now have my own copy.

Regards – Phil S.

wecancreate
    • Total posts: 94

Just finished reading:

“Crush It” by Gary Vaynerchuk.

It’s a useful book that’s especially relevant to businesses operating online. I’ve written up a review of it here (it’s basically a summary of some of the best points in the book)

Anyone else read this book? What did you think?

Plaintext Copywriting
    • Total posts: 16

Adam, I recently enjoyed the audio version of Crush It (read by Gary Vaynerchuk in his infectiously excited manner) and thought it was a very hands-on yet attitude-focussed book. I got a lot of value from it, as it’s rich with practical advice for online businesses. I also appreciate that Vaynerchuk doesn’t promise quick results or an easy path.

Most of my favourite business books have already been listed here (Made to Stick, What Would Google Do, Buy-ology and Seth Godin’s masterpieces) but I’m busily jotting down those I haven’t yet read. Thanks, everyone!

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625

Not sure if it has been mentioned before (I read the whole tread a while ago but not recently) but i’m absolutely loving the book “Rework” by the guys behind 37 Signals who make a whole lot of small business software (actually “software as a service” technically). Amazing no nonsense book that has a bit of a different way of looking at things to your typical business book.

Info here

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input into this thread. I’ve combed your reviews, then combed the reviews on Amazon. I’ve ended up ordering:

• Rework
    • The Paradox of Choice
    • Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard (supposedly better than Made to Stick)
    • BrandSimple: How the Best Brands Keep it Simple and Succeed
    • Big Brands Big Trouble: Lessons Learned the Hard Way
    • Linchpin: Are You Indispensable?
    • Your Brain Is (Almost) Perfect: How We Make Decisions

Phew, that’ll take me a while to read. In terms of the books I recommend:

• Ogilvy on Advertising, David Ogilvy
    • Differentiate or Die, Jack Trout
    • Positioning, Al Ries & Jack Trout
    • Influence – Science & Practice, Robert Cialdini
    • The 4 Hour Work Week, Tim Ferriss

The majority of these have already been recommended so far. Those books will teach you more about marketing than a marketing degree. Just ensure you read them with a pen and paper to take notes.

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,704
    Scratch, post: 43925 wrote:
    Business Stripped Bare – Richard Branson

Before you Quit Your Job – Robert Kiyosaki

kind regards

Shane Scott
    Scratch Property
    http://www.scratch.net.au

+1 on business stripped bare. For anyone that doesn’t actually want to read the usual business school / business guru garbage – this is your book. So many valuable insights from a guy that has spent a lifetime making good decisions from accumulated experience and raw aptitude rather than text book learning and psychology.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. info@360partners.com.au www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    LukeMoulton
    • Total posts: 35

What’s Your favorite marketing and/or business book?

What marketing or business book has inspired you the most?

I’ll kick things off:
    ReWork by 37 Signals

sydneyfx
    • Total posts: 61

Re: What’s Your favorite marketing and/or business book?

I liked..

1. Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk
    2. Rework by 37 Signals

Both very inspiring for me in 2010

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329

Hi Luke,

There’s a great sticky thread in the working smarter section that asks this exact question.

> The Best Small Business Books Shelf

Cheers,

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889

DavidM, post: 52252 wrote:
    Hi Luke,

There’s a great sticky thread in the working smarter section that asks this exact question.

> The Best Small Business Books Shelf

Cheers,

Hi Guys, we’ve just merged these two threads so all our ideas are in one place (the few posts above are from a separate thread), hope it doesn’t cause too much confusion :)

MarketingHQ
    • Total posts: 142

A couple more for the list:

The New Rules of Marketing & Pr by David Meerman-Scott
    The Global Corporate Brand Book by Michael Morley
    Powerlines: Words that sell brands, grip fans & sometimes change history by Steve Cone

Interested to know if anyone has read and has thoughts on Trust Agents by Chris Brogan. It’s one I’m keen to read.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.