Home Forums Get productive The Best Small Business Books Shelf

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Luke Jones
    • Total posts: 32

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but I highly recommend reading “The Lean Startup” by Eric Ries. It is particular focused on startups but I believe you can take a lot of lessons and apply them to small businesses. In particular really working out what drives sales for you business and having a laser focus on that.

EdwardThirlwall
    • Total posts: 8

I personally prefer audio books to books but right now I have been rereading some of Zig Ziglar’s work. It has taken me a long while to build up my self storage business in Australia , but it always helps to keep improving ourselves when we can!

Dan_1
    • Total posts: 23

Hi Guy’s
    I’m a bit hooked on the Richard Branson range

Like a Virgin
    Screw it lets do it
    and currently reading “The Virgin Way”

Rob-Sydney-Backflow
    • Total posts: 21
    Astrid, post: 43868, member: 160 wrote:
    Hi

I was wondering if we could build a thread with book recommendations from users? No matter if they are educational, inspirational or just entertaining (business) books. I’m always looking for new titles, for presents or for myself.
    Couldn’t this thread be pinned to the top of the board, Jayne?

Here are my most recent reads:

“Why people fail” by Siimon Reynolds, one of Sydney’s advertising personalities and now business coach, mentor and keynote speaker. Very entertaining and very much ‘on the spot’. He covers almost everything from business routines to work life balance.

From his book list at the end I picked “A Passion for Success” by Kazuo Inamori, one of Japans most influencial entrepreneurs, born in 1932 and still rolling ;-) He shares inspirational, spiritual and practical thoughts on life and business in short essays.

Cheers,
    Astrid

The best three business books that inspired me to grow my business are:

Rich dad poor dad – Robert Kiyosaki
    The 4 Hour Work Week – Tim Ferriss
    The E Myth revisited – Micheal Gerber

These books for me get me excited about the business world and the opportunities we all have.

Another book I highly recommend reading (on a lazy sunday) is:

The Alchemist – Paulo Coelho

Its relates to goals (personal legends) and to see the many opportunities in life.

tom@egroup
    • Total posts: 50

One book that stuck with me is from an author from Dubbo. The author, and now mayor, Mathew Dickerson, ran a very successful IT business and wrote Small Business Rules – a book listing 52 essential rules all business owners should follow.

It has stuck with me, one of the rules which I love for my retail business is don’t use your supplier as your banker. Pay for stock when it is due and don’t use your suppliers as a line of credit. Makes for a healthier operation and much happier suppliers.

I have no affiliation with Mathew Dickerson other than my much better half worked for him over 7 years ago and I found his insights invaluable to getting my business up and going.

Link to amazon – http://www.amazon.com/Small-Business-Ru-Essential-Successful/dp/1419689436

aking9999
    • Total posts: 5

HAVE YOU DISCOVERED ” TED” LECTURES ON YOU TUBE ?

As well as the wonderful world of books, there are a wonderful variety of great business lectures to be found on TED / Youtube. some of the best are Sir Ken Harrison, Seth Godin, and some great lectures on how to tweak your LINKED IN.com web site too.

Take a few minutes or half an hour and enjoy these wonderful on line diamonds !

Mat at Enterprising Drive
    • Total posts: 4

Hi All,

TURN THE SHIP AROUND
    By David Marquette

Is a great book about empowering a team.

Cheers!
    Mat

LukeHally
    • Total posts: 150

I liked ‘Slicing Pie’ by Mike Moyer (http://slicingpie.com). It’s about splitting equity between business founder and I found it very useful and insightful. It definitely helped with the ‘how are we going to split this’ discussion.

Kokoronkwo
    • Total posts: 27

Any book by Seth Godin. Particularly love Linchpin.
    Incredibly insightful marketer & every book is rich with thought provoking marketing ideas.

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.