Home Forums Tech talk The changing face of SEO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Cesar, post: 135949 wrote:
    It would be great if people in general realised, they don’t require a website, don’t require SEO and foremost don’t require Google to have a successful business.

Put your head down and get some well thought-out marketing material together, place it in your suit case, get a list of potential clients, go and present yourself to them, your services and products and see what wonders that produces.

Stop wasting time on the Internet and social marketing and place your valuable time to better use. Way more productive to be out there in the real world seeing real people.
    Hang on a sec, I will just pop out and tell people to stop using the internet.

Shane Walker
    • Total posts: 129

Hi MatthewKeath! It’s Shane Walker here.

In regards to your comment, I don’t agree that the SEO industry has to make some major changes. The majority of us that are reputable SEO companies have had no problems.

None of my clients have been affected by any of the Panda, Penguin, and EMD updates. The reason is because we follow correct SEO procedures and practices.

The reason the majority of people have been affected by these updates is because they have been paying very little for Indian and other third world spam companies to pollute the internet with cheap links and etc…

This is very much like buying a $300 car. It will run for a little while but it is more than likely going to break down a little bit further down the track and you will end up with nothing.

I don’t believe that SEO is expensive. You must look at it as a return of investment and not as a cost per package. With all of my clients, I sit down and discuss with them not only what their goals are but the products they are selling and the amount they make per sale. So therefore, if am giving them an x amount of leads per month, they will be able to come out well ahead on the price that they are paying me to get them those leads.

At the end of the day, it depends on your cost per sale. As one of my clients said to me, “if you are charging me a dollar per sale and I am making $30 per sale, I don’t care what you charge me for SEO. You can charge me 10 million dollars if you want because I know I am going to make far more than that”.

That is the way you’ve got to look at any sort of marketing. Not as the cost but what you are going to get in return. Good SEO has never been cheap but I don’t believe it is expensive because of the return that it gets the client.

Kindest regards,

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463

I have never – in the last 3/4 years – had a problem getting a site to page 1 on google through good content. Never.

Even my own site, about 3 weeks after I launched it, was on page 1 in Australia for “sydney web design”. Anyone in the biz would now how much competition that phrase has. I didn’t stay there, because I didn’t keep adding content, due to Google not being so important for me for finding work.

I know other factors in the past have had an impact, but content has and always will be the major factor in SEO.

And long may that be so.

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Cesar, post: 135949 wrote:
    Stop wasting time on the Internet and social marketing and place your valuable time to better use. Way more productive to be out there in the real world seeing real people.

😮

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Shane Walker, post: 135966 wrote:

In regards to your comment, I don’t agree that the SEO industry has to make some major changes. The majority of us that are reputable SEO companies have had no problems.

None of my clients have been affected by any of the Panda, Penguin, and EMD updates. The reason is because we follow correct SEO procedures and practices.

The reason the majority of people have been affected by these updates is because they have been paying very little for Indian and other third world spam companies to pollute the internet with cheap links and etc…

This is very much like buying a $300 car. It will run for a little while but it is more than likely going to break down a little bit further down the track and you will end up with nothing.

I don’t believe that SEO is expensive. You must look at it as a return of investment and not as a cost per package. With all of my clients, I sit down and discuss with them not only what their goals are but the products they are selling and the amount they make per sale. So therefore, if am giving them an x amount of leads per month, they will be able to come out well ahead on the price that they are paying me to get them those leads.

At the end of the day, it depends on your cost per sale. As one of my clients said to me, “if you are charging me a dollar per sale and I am making $30 per sale, I don’t care what you charge me for SEO. You can charge me 10 million dollars if you want because I know I am going to make far more than that”.

That is the way you’ve got to look at any sort of marketing. Not as the cost but what you are going to get in return. Good SEO has never been cheap but I don’t believe it is expensive because of the return that it gets the client.

Kindest regards,

Shane buddy,

You offer some valuable input, but without sounding rude, it’s not necessary to keep repeating your name as its starting to sound like your spamming your name.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Shane Walker, post: 135966 wrote:

Kindest regards,

Hi Shane Walker! It’s Matthew Keath here

I agree that most reputable SEO companies have been doing the right thing, and they have not got any penalties from Google. These people have been following the guidelines, using content as the backbone, and not doing anything silly with links.

Getting good results is not ranking, it’s making the phone ring though SE referrals.

Looking at SEO Course’s blog, he has adopted a great content strategy that is designed to maximise SEO. Creating content that people want to link to IMHO is the best way to do SEO.

And for small businesses who might have been tempted to use a cheap SEO provider, taking this approach is a good start. Stop thinking about the search engines and start thinking about your viewers and target market.

Cesar
    MatthewKeath, post: 135995 wrote:
    And for small businesses who might have been tempted to use a cheap SEO provider, taking this approach is a good start. Stop thinking about the search engines and start thinking about your viewers and target market.

Hi Matthew Keath, Cesar here,

I’m certain I’ve mentioned this strategy before.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125

Hi Everybody! I’m here too!

Each to his own, some have been predicting the downfall of SEO/Google/The Interweb since forever ago but hey we’re all still here! Has SEO changed? You bet…

…and it will keep changing too.

But if you think that you are always going to rank well just by having good content that’s just not correct.

There are lots (and I mean hundreds of thousands) of brilliant academic papers on various topics written by experts in their fields which cannot be found easily because they have not been optimised.

What do you think will happen when everyone writes similarly good content for their own business sites? G can only fit so many results on the first page.

Which brings us back to what SEO has always been about – beating the competition. Its always a competition to provide the best results for a query and to get known as the guy with the best results.

That has not changed…

not one little bit!

Is it getting harder for anyone person to get noticed as the level of competition grows? Of course it is, just like when you are no longer the only plumber advertising in the local paper…

That does not mean that Google (or the local paper) are no longer worthwhile, you just got to find a more effective way of using it.

I’ve been making my living from the net since 2000 and have no intention of giving up anything, its all going well so why would I?

You can’t stand still in a dynamic market, you have to move to cope with its changes.

my two cents

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918

Hi Aidan! is Gabriel here!

mmm … that’s all… I just wanted to join the wagon….:)

wsiebler
    • Total posts: 31
    Snakeman, post: 135912 wrote:
    “If you have a good site, good content, good user engagement and good external popularity you should be in a pretty solid place to ride out updates.”

I don’t agree at all!

Until end 2008, all our sites topped all relevant searches.
    Then SEO’s came along with a few newcomers and it’s been a dogfight ever since.
    He who has the best SEO wins!

Sad but true.

All the best

Snakeman you can usually monitor what the other companies are doing and if you can do a little better you’ll be ahead. Who are the sites you’re trying to beat?

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Aidan, post: 136060 wrote:
    There are lots (and I mean hundreds of thousands) of brilliant academic papers on various topics written by experts in their fields which cannot be found easily because they have not been optimised.
    Solution? Rewrite them to focus on a particular keyword/phrase, with relevant HTML markup (H1’s …etc).

And then make them interesting enough to be shared by readers across social media channels.

Always goes back to good content. Majority of time/cost should be put into that, and then (nowadays) engaging with your target audience via social media channels.

Aidan

Exactly its great content but it still needs SEO!

Cesar

If all SEO consultants became Adword Consultants you won’t have to lose sleep everytime an algorithm change comes along. Maybe that is one agenda Google would love to see.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430

It is easy to get a site on page one of Google if you continually provide consistent, good quality content.

Aidan
    Cesar, post: 136089 wrote:
    If all SEO consultants became Adword Consultants you won’t have to lose sleep everytime an algorithm change comes along. Maybe that is one agenda Google would love to see.

I don’t think you’re correct on the sleep patterns there Cesar, many (maybe most now?) SEO people actually cover both organic and paid listings to start with but in any event the AdWords algorithms change too!

Some folk forget about that and also the fact that just like the competition for organic listings there is also competition for AdWords listings!

I’d say the AdWords-only guys end up sleeping about the same as SEO-only guys!

:)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.