Home Forums Tech talk The current state of the SEO industry and how you can avoid getting burnt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    John Romaine
    • Total posts: 1,104
    JohnW, post: 199857 wrote:
    Sometimes large benefits can start to become apparent in weeks.

In most cases large benefits can be seen within 24 hours.

I can make a few simple changes on a site to increase conversions literally overnight, taking a site from 0.5% conversions to 2%. That might not sound like much, but it can mean the difference between a business owner getting 5 enquiries/sales a day, to 20.

In addition, we can also broadcast to their email list with an offer, a discount, a sale – something that has customers or subscribers coming back and either …

a) making a purchase
    b) making an enquiry
    c) both

This is where business owners just don’t get it. I know we’re talking about ‘SEO’, but that makes up only a very small part of what business owners should be focusing on.

Again, most crappy SEO companies wont care, they’ll just build links and your site will continue to dribble along, leaving you frustrated and wondering why it’s not working.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Byron Trzeciak, post: 199826 wrote:
    Again, you’re talking about dodgy SEO services. Are you claiming they’re all dodgy regardless of price point?

No Byron, no where have I stated that all SEO are dodgy, in fact I have no idea who is and who isnt, it wasnt me that introduced the word dodgy, that came from the podcast, where the implication was that if it was cheap it was dodgy.

the point I have tried to make and feel free to reread what i have said, and yes my english isnt the greatest. But the point is you cannot base dodgyness or quality purely on price. You will have some that fit into either camp.

It all comes down to CAVEAT EMPTOR, and that is what we should be telling people, not look at price.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    John Romaine, post: 199859 wrote:

I can make a few simple changes on a site to increase conversions literally overnight, taking a site from 0.5% conversions to 2%. …

Absolutely!

Thats the difference between getting digital marketing help and getting SEO done!

Its more of a conversion optimisation issue than an SEO one (in the way most think of SEO).

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642

I can make a few simple changes on a site to increase conversions literally overnight, taking a site from 0.5% conversions to 2%. That might not sound like much, but it can mean the difference between a business owner getting 5 enquiries/sales a day, to 20.
    Hi JohnR,
    With respect, this is an inaccurate response to my post.

We are talking about attracting SE referrals and you switch to the issue of conversions.

I hope no one would dispute that SEO without attention to conversion issues is a waste of time.

That said, if you have no traffic to a site to start with, you can’t convert any one.
    Regs,
    JohnW

John Romaine
    JohnW, post: 199864 wrote:
    Hi JohnR,
    With respect, this is an inaccurate response to my post.

We are talking about attracting SE referrals and you switch to the issue of conversions.

I hope no one would dispute that SEO without attention to conversion issues is a waste of time.

That said, if you have no traffic to a site to start with, you can’t convert any one.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Of course John, it’s all good.

I just think its important to bring emphasis to the fact that business owners can usually improve with what they already have instead of chasing “more traffic” as most do.

But you’re right, it is chicken and egg stuff. ;)

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591

At the end of the day, if you feel that the money you have spent on any particular service, has given you the results you were wanting to achieve, give yourself a “Pat On The Back.”

However, if the money you spent has given you nothing but grief, give yourself a “Slap On The Face” for not doing your homework first.

JohnR is quite knowledgeable, and without sounding bias, I would hire his services. Why? I did a bit of homework researching him and I was impressed, and most importantly, he is still here on FS offering advice.

That’s good enough for me!

BTW, I would hire Aidan and JohnW services as well. Fortunately for me, I’m quite adept at doing my own marketing, and constantly give myself “Pats on the Back.”

John Romaine
    Cesar, post: 199870 wrote:
    JohnR is quite knowledgeable, and without sounding bias, I would hire his services. Why? I did a bit of homework researching him and I was impressed, and most importantly, he is still here on FS offering advice.

Thanks for the kind words Cesar, I appreciate it.

bb1
    Participant

see and its exactly statements like this that give business owners a false sense of security. Lets just throw around some stats, but with no substance behind them.

you could also make exactly the same changes and get ZERO conversions.

John Romaine
    bb1, post: 199873 wrote:
    see and its exactly statements like this that give business owners a false sense of security. Lets just throw around some stats, but with no substance behind them.

you could also make exactly the same changes and get ZERO conversions.

LOL. You’re a funny guy.

Here is an existing campaign for you. This client is investing $2,000 per month. Each lead to them is potentially worth $2,500.

month1.gif
    month2.gif
    month3.gif
    month4.gif

Focusing on rankings and keywords and providing silly guarantees gives business owners a false sense of security.

bb1
    Participant
    John Romaine, post: 199874 wrote:
    Focusing on rankings and keywords and providing silly guarantees gives business owners a false sense of security.

YES, you have finally picked up the hint of what I have been saying all along, it is the bigger picture, not just rankings or COST, it is the results.

But, in reallity what is your graph saying pretty graph, and you say it yourself the “potential”, but did it lead to that. You can bring 10,000 extra people to a site, but that will not necesarily end in any additional sales, there are other more important things in play, than just getting people to a website. And thats where a lot of SEO fails, they just go for traffic.

So often on a SEO website you see things like “make more sales” or “increase sales, customer enquiries,leads, traffics, and overall conversions”. Yes SEO can increase traffic, but beyond that there can be no assurance of the rest.

bb1
    Participant
    John Romaine, post: 199874 wrote:
    LOL. You’re a funny guy.

And no I am not trying to be funny, perfectly serious, if I can save one small business from signing up with the wrong SEO business, by making them think about what they are getting for their money, than I don’t consider that funny.

As I have said from the beginning, due dilligence is required, don’t just choose your SEO based on they are expensive they are good, Dont just rely on pretty graphs, get more info.

Obvioulsy others don’t take this as funny, I have already had 4 private messages thanking me for highlighting these things, because at the moment all they are seeing is a one sided discussion. People are been asked to spend a lot of money, at the end of the day that is a lot of widgets to sell, 1500 a month can be some business’s profit for the whole month, so they need to think long and hard to make the right decision.

If you believe I am funny, that is fine, but that may be because I am raising some very valid questions for other small business’s to think about.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Cesar, post: 199870 wrote:
    At the end of the day, if you feel that the money you have spent on any particular service, has given you the results you were wanting to achieve, give yourself a “Pat On The Back.”

However, if the money you spent has given you nothing but grief, give yourself a “Slap On The Face” for not doing your homework first.

BTW, I would hire Aidan and JohnW services as well. Fortunately for me, I’m quite adept at doing my own marketing, and constantly give myself “Pats on the Back.”
    Hi Cesar,
    Many thanks for your comments.
    Best regs,
    JohnW

John Romaine
    bb1, post: 199873 wrote:
    Lets just throw around some stats, but with no substance behind them.

You asked for stats. I gave you some.

It’s obvious you have nothing positive to contribute so I’ll leave it there.

bb1
    Participant
    John Romaine, post: 199893 wrote:
    You asked for stats. I gave you some.

It’s obvious you have nothing positive to contribute so I’ll leave it there.

Ah but the now 6 Private messages from other flying soloists have all understood me and thanked me, for puting some light on the situation

John Romaine
    bb1, post: 199898 wrote:
    Ah but the now 6 Private messages from other flying soloists have all understood me and thanked me, for puting some light on the situation

Only 6?

You should work on your conversion rates ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.