Home – New Forums Tech talk The dangers of cloud email marketing.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    nominal
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    ::

I’ve just heard from a vendor I am working with that they had a breach of their customer email list on Aweber. Apparently spammers were able to hack and get the email list and started sending emails to their lists.

They only found out about it after people started complaining to them that they were selling their email addresses :-(

We used to have a hosted email marketing solution and switched to iContact for ease of use and better reporting. But after reading this I am starting to think twice about reverting back.

I would hate seeing our email list get spammed, we’ve worked extremely hard to gain the trust of our readers and this can be a fatal blow.

Does any one know of any good self hosted email marketing software?

createdevelop
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

I can recommend Interspire’s Email Marketer. We are a developer and reseller, and we would not recommend a product that did not work.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

maybe their login details were not as robust as they could have been?

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

It’s rare but things get hacked. It’s a very very small risk. I have both Mail Chimp and Interspire email marketer and feel more comfortable with Mail Chimp. Running your own system wouldn’t be more secure than theirs, I’d say this would be a very very rare occurrence and nothing to worry about.

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up
    King, post: 117038 wrote:
    maybe their login details were not as robust as they could have been?
    Totally agree. If Aweber had been hacked, I’m pretty sure we would have heard about it. I’d lay extremely strong odds they had a password like ‘password’, their account name, or another common password.

I can’t speak highly enough of using a solution like lastpass to generate secure passwords, and avoid exactly this type of issue.

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

I agree with Dan that it’s a very very small risk.

We’ve never had any inkling of an issue like that with the platform we provide.

Dave Beck
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    createdevelop, post: 117036 wrote:
    I can recommend Interspire’s Email Marketer. We are a developer and reseller, and we would not recommend a product that did not work.

I wouldn’t be touching any Interspire product with a 40 foot pole. They have announced the end of life for most of their products recently and I’m sure that E-Mail Marketer will be on the hit list as well!

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

I wouldn’t be too concerned. It’s fairly rare something like that happens, from what I understand. I’ve used a hosted email marketing solution for about 5 years now and never had an issue.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.