Home – New Forums Other discussions The Death of the URL ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

I can see the impact this can have on “us” (small / micro / solo business)… as a lot of “us” have high stakes in our URLs (I know I do, I try to promote it heaps).

Is this the future?

The Death of the URL ?

http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2009/11/16/the-death-of-the-url/

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

I didn’t really bother to read it all through, but I don’t think I would bother to worry too much that we will be the victims of too much change. Marketers are always on the look out for for The Next Big Technical Discovery Thing that will just simply help consumers part with their money more easily.

After all, they predicted the demise of vinyl records when CDs arrived and they are still around. Also there is the situation of us waiting so long for newer high definition DVDs that BluRay is predicted to be overtaken by the next Big development. And by the way, when everyone was predicting the future back in the days of valves no one really predicted the discovery of transistors and integrated circuits. And computers where not considered to be practical for the home user.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

I didn’t read it much either but..

Of what I read….No :)

The purpose behind a domain is for people to easily remember it. A string of characters is easier to remember and put into a computer than a image and only so many images can fit on a computer screen.

Regardless a URL will always be behind those images to click on….

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

What a fascinating read and I don’t think we can be too dismissive regarding this line of thinking.

His examples indicate much of this is happening.

Thanks for sharing!

Robert

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Oh dear Oh dear what shall we do. Does this mean all the information that I have learnt over the last 50 years will be obsolete. Do I get a discount when my URL dies, or do we bury it out side in the garden.
    Oh dear Oh dear what shall we do

Probably nothing

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

It is still there in the same place. Try clicking this one;

I reread it all, it does have a little merit, but only a vety little. Thing is the only way URL’s will die is if people stop using the internet as a web browser and that’s not going to happen.

Those things he listed, such as webTV and ipod stores, etc, those things are a different use for the internet so they add, not subtract. Ie. If you buy a webTV appliance you are unlikely to ditch your netbanking and other computer.

On top of that it’s in Google’s best interest not to have things such as those that are listed. How are they going to make an income stream otherwise? They have been busy making a whole bunch of websites and web developers dependant on their API’s and tools.

JulieA
    • Total posts: 130
    Up
    vstacy, post: 18901 wrote:
    I can see the impact this can have on “us” (small / micro / solo business)… as a lot of “us” have high stakes in our URLs (I know I do, I try to promote it heaps).

Is this the future?

The Death of the URL ?

Yes, it is the future- yet another well orchestrated set of apparently innocuous changes designed to herd the sheeple deeper into the big business grasp…or maybe I just need a better tin foil hat? *winks*

THE SALES WARLORD
    • Total posts: 141
    Up

The sky is falling.

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

Lolz.

The funniest thing about it is the idea that companies want to make you watch what they want you to watch.

I don’t think that’s right.

They want you to watch what will make them a profit.

So they’ll go with what’s popular.

Youtube, for instance.

This smacks of paranoid “Illumanati”, the world is being controlled by a secret organisation who wants to control everyone …

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

I did not bopther reading the article because even the suggestion of death of urls screams of link bait, so I won’t play the game

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.