Home – New Forums Starting your journey The Greatest Fear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    John Kirk
    • Total posts: 24
    Up
    ::

What is the greatest impediment that a business person can face? Is it the fear of Failure or the fear of Success?

Love to hear what people think about this one.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

As a graphic designer, it would probably the loss of my hands. :D

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

I think for many it is a lack of imagination – that is where their business could go ( I mean in quantum leaps). So in that regard maybe a subconscious fear of success

Keeta Nova
    • Total posts: 294
    Up

Someone tying me up and transporting me to a permanent full time job every day.

OneArmedGraphics
    • Total posts: 314
    Up
    bluepenguin, post: 87923 wrote:
    As a graphic designer, it would probably the loss of my hands. :D

Hey I lost a whole arm & it didn’t stop me :( 😮

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    OneArmedGraphics, post: 87947 wrote:

Does that make you a one-armed bandit?! LOL

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up
    OneArmedGraphics, post: 87947 wrote:

Wowsers!
    You sir, are a champion. Seriously.

Luth6322
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

For me I would say fear of failure in the respects that I have a huge mortgage and if we went completely solo what would happen if we don’t earn enough money and can’t pay off the loan ….. security is a big thing for us.

John Kirk
    Up

Interesting bunch of replies. Loss of arms through to fear of not being able to pay the mortgage.

So….no one thinks fear of success is a problem? What about all those celebrities who implode due to the pressure of success?

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

I think one of the worst fears you can have is the fear of letting go, that only you can do the job properly. This leads to the owner burning out simply because they feared to delegate jobs to others, or not letting others do things that may be different but still works.

You have to trust your other half, partner or employees and take time off for yourself without constantly fretting.

mnj’s buyers group
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    donkeynomad, post: 87969 wrote:
    I think one of the worst fears you can have is the fear of letting go, that only you can do the job properly. This leads to the owner burning out simply because they feared to delegate jobs to others, or not letting others do things that may be different but still works.

You have to trust your other half, partner or employees and take time off for yourself without constantly fretting.

Get out of my head!!! lol

Don’t you know that no one can do your job as well as you do it!!! lol

Who are you? You sound just like my husband!!! lol

There are 2 possibilities

1. You are so true and very wise and learnt this message from personal experience.

or

2. Your just really clever but don’t know how hard it is being a control freak!!

Yours sincerely (lol)

Megan

(self confessed control freak suffering from small business burnout)

On a serious note, you really are right and it is one of my biggest struggles in my life, so if you a starting something new, make sure that you can share the responsibilty from day one.

My biggest fear is security or lack of it. I use my fear as a tool and it makes me work harder/smarter.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    John Kirk, post: 87959 wrote:
    Interesting bunch of replies. Loss of arms through to fear of not being able to pay the mortgage.

So….no one thinks fear of success is a problem? What about all those celebrities who implode due to the pressure of success?

I don’t think they implode because of success. I think they implode because of the pressures of fame. I think I could quite happly live with being a wealthy business man but I wouldn’t want to be a wealthy celebrity.

John Kirk
    Up
    donkeynomad, post: 87969 wrote:

Good point donkeynomad. Many people do have that problem. I have a Virtual Assistant in The Philippines. She does all the work I don’t have time for, freeing me up to visit clients. It works for me. Let go my friends!

John Kirk
    Up
    Steve_Minshall, post: 87995 wrote:
    I don’t think they implode because of success. I think they implode because of the pressures of fame. I think I could quite happly live with being a wealthy business man but I wouldn’t want to be a wealthy celebrity.

Hi Steve
    I agree. With success comes pressure. Some can handle the pressure. Some can’t. Many people stop short because they imagine that they will also collapse under the pressure.

Personally, I think that the fear of failure and the fear of success balance out. For every person who can’t start there is another who starts, has a series of minor successes and then freezes when the big one comes around…kind of like a football team that wins the Minor Premiership but misses the Grand Final.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

for me it’s the fear of success at the expense of my family. been there and i dont want to go back. it’s why i am very picky who i want to work with.

income generation is pretty easy once you understand the formula. controlling greed is pretty hard.

just one more deal, just a few more hours, we’ll go out next weekend…..

it comes down to self discipline, time management and automation which is what i am focusing on now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.