Home – New Forums Starting your journey The Greatest Fear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    lindyasimus
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    ::
    John Kirk, post: 87918 wrote:
    What is the greatest impediment that a business person can face? Is it the fear of Failure or the fear of Success?

Love to hear what people think about this one.

My suspicion is that both of these are just facets of a bigger issue. The underlying belief that one isn’t “good enough” and “doesn’t deserve” to be as successful. Or as deserving/ clever/ privileged as those we have seen do it (whatever “it” is) already. Since they have done it, there is the proof they are better then me (because I have not done it) and this can feed back to the belief as evidence. “Some people can do it but not me”.

The fear perhaps is finding out that this sneaking thought that lurks but which we may not face directly… might be true.

The Profit Frog
    • Total posts: 113
    Up
    John Kirk, post: 87959 wrote:
    Interesting bunch of replies. Loss of arms through to fear of not being able to pay the mortgage.

So….no one thinks fear of success is a problem? What about all those celebrities who implode due to the pressure of success?

John,
    Great question…

While I don’t know exactly what my “success” looks like – and therefore haven’t got a “thing” to fear (can’t fear what I can’t see) – I will dare to open up here and state publicly that my fear is Lack Of Credibility, built on a foundation of “Fear of Rejection” and of “never being good enough”.

Don’t panic – I won’t offload my fears here despite what a cathartic appeal it presents ;-)

I have had a few “moments” of late where I have seen ME – situations reflecting back to me just who I am or how I think I am.
    For once, I saw that I never believed in my self enough in the years of employment to ever be offered a senior position. I hate to admit but I dare to consider that I sabotaged my entire career through a lack of belief in my own credibility and capacity (and I have also dared to see I have boatloads of capability to offer and draw upon).
    It is a somewhat painfully sad yet quietly liberating realisation and tells me in LOUD and no uncertain terms why I have allowed The Profit Frog to sit sidelined while finally addressing my own “fears”.

One of the greater experiences to come of this self reflection of late is that I have finally met my mentor – someone who believes in ME and in my ability to write creatively.
    About 14yrs ago, I attended a writing course and went home so inspired I penned my first novel.
    It went through the usual rewrites and edits, and now is at the final draft.
    BUT I never pursued getting it published because I had never believed in my credibility. Sheesh! I wrote a novel – all 300+ pages – and yet I didn’t believe in my credibility?
    Man!
    Today I can share that I have secured the genuine support of a very experienced and oft-published author as my personal mentor. He has already told me that technically I have no idea how to put a novel together BUT that I tell a great story… and in some cases can write very powerfully and emotionally!!!
    Hah, I knew I had it in me !!!
    He will give me instruction on how to construct the novel – and how to edit out the overwhelming detail that I seem to write with :-D

Beyond that I also contacted the person who runs the writing course and asked for help – and he has offered for a fee to read some of the book and my synopsis and provide me feedback to help me reach publishable standard.

Heck, the entire novel may need to be re-written BUT if that’s what it takes, BRING IT ON.

Do I have fear, now?
    No. I do not fear at all that my novel may be rejected or criticised.
    What I have had to face over the last few months due to some changed personal circumstances has taught me to look deep within myself and see who I am and who I will become if I continue to walk this path.
    I have seen that my confidence had gone to sh*t on a shiny shovel (for want of more Aussie vernacular) and that I cannot expect more of myself if at first I don’t (1) have deepest gratitude for what I already have, (2) respect for myself and others at the deepest level, (3) relinquish criticism and judgment of myself primarily and others that definitely comes as a flow on effect and (4) start to trust… in me.

Don’t know if anyone can relate to this but I hope by sharing, I have helped others to realise they are not alone, OR given someone a little bit of faith to trust in his or her own worth.
    It is hard, believe me.
    I spent 4 decades feeling like I am not worth a wee bit of cr*p to anyone.
    Hah – that is so sad, you gotta laugh :-)

It’s all good, my friends, and I know it.
    Even my love life has “suddenly happened” – for the first time, I have met the man I want to share the rest of my life with (and it is so happily mutual we are like love-struck teenagers ;-))
    I have the love of my life in my world and a chance to become a published author with my very own mentor and a deeper sense of connection to the ME that I always wanted to share with the world…
    The Profit Frog will take direction from all of this once I have walked this new and interesting pathway and discovered the ME that no longer needs to hide behind any fear :-)

Ok my health needs a good kick – struck with the flu for the first time in 10yrs…
    Add “superboosting my immune system” to my list of personal achievements.

And it will indeed be a Happy Birthday to me next week :-)

Reenie@Striking Stitches
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

I think it is more a lack of faith.. than fear of either failure or success.
    Four years ago I stumbled into a job almost by accident. It turned out to be the perfect job and I have now been a solo operator for 20 months. Success was slow but a certain thing. My business simply had to succeed!
    In the early days I had my doubts but my partner at the time told me that I was doing everything right and it was only a matter of time.
    My self doubt used to pop its head up now and then but these days I just embrace the occasional quiet day and make the most of it.

Luth6322
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

I think it depends on how right you think your business idea is. When I thought about going solo in finance it was quite a bit of concern for me, however our farm business we know is just the right thing to do, there is no question we will make is succeed.

MJ.Bart
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

This is an area where I tend to contradict myself. Sometimes I experience a fear of failure (though I only fear judging myself for failing, I do not fear other’s judging me) and sometimes I am excited by failure because for me it can be the most effective way to learn, and learning is never really a failure.

I also sometimes experience a fear of success, as I think of success in different ways. Success for me could be achieving all of my goals, in which case what do I do after I achieve all of my goals? Do I become bored and lazy with nothing else to do? Though I cannot imagine I’ll ever run out of goals and ambitions.

Success to me also means just living the life I choose for me. Not doing what other people tell me to do or expect me to do, but simply doing what I want for the sake of me being me. In which case I am already successful and will always continue to be. Which is why I am a happy man. Though I still have so much ambition and a desire to succeed. Sounds strange to be successful yet still have a desire to succeed, but it makes sense to me :)

As for faith, I have plenty of faith in myself and in people in general. There is so much to love about the world, even when we feel down and overwhelmed because there is so much potential in us all and the pursuit of happiness (a more accurate word for success I feel) makes life exciting. That’s not to say I do not experience down times, but simply that I always pick myself up again, as such a challenge gives me focus and helps me to understand who I am.

I think I have just started rambling now so perhaps I’ll leave it at that.

Cheers,

Michael.

CP2011
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi
    Would have to say fear of success. Failure comes easy. Think it is not knowing what to do with success should it arrive that scares most people.

John Kirk
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Very interesting posts. Keep them coming!

JanF
    • Total posts: 83
    Up
    John Kirk, post: 87959 wrote:
    Interesting bunch of replies. Loss of arms through to fear of not being able to pay the mortgage.

So….no one thinks fear of success is a problem? What about all those celebrities who implode due to the pressure of success?

They just don’t know how to handle success …:D

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.