Home – New Forums Selling online The Importance of Using a Dedicated Classified Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Clarkey33
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

The Importance of Using a Dedicated Classified Website

The way we Buy and Sell has changed dramatically since the Days of Classifieds on Notice Boards and Newspapers. The power of the online world has changed the way we communicate in general in a relatively short period, in particular with the use of social media (Facebook, Twitter etc). The Social Media Tool is a very powerful platform that can be used for an array of activities. In recent years the Classified Market has seen a huge swing towards the Social Media Platforms, in Particular Facebook, Many through the use of their Pages and Groups that anyone can set up for Free. These Social Media Platforms create an easy free solution to advertise your items, but does it create an easy platform for buyers???

[Moderator message: Post truncated to bring closer to forum guidelines]

With all considered we can argue what is best and what is not, but the above result clearly shows that it is a must to also use Dedicated Classified Website’s to successfully sell your Items/Products to an Open Market.

Written by The Founder of http://www.speedwayads.com.au Kent Shelford

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi,

Ok, my apologies for being straight to the point although I found it difficult to skim through this post. Too detailed maybe for a first time poster, especially if your objective is for us to support the web site you referenced.

As a heads up, and you may already be aware of this, there a few businesses on here that list and advertise so maybe building a relationship on the forum with exhibiting your expertise and leveraging the signaturesy garnish you a better uptake or reply or query on your services.

Wishing you all the best and look forward to learning more about you.

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Clarkey33
    Up

Hi Jason,

The Thread is about using Dedicated Classified Website over Social Media…

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    Clarkey33, post: 204175 wrote:
    Hi Jason,

The Thread is about using Dedicated Classified Website over Social Media…

Thanks for that, what is the objective of the post? Your objective I guess being a new poster and not really knowing anything about you, even a name?

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I thought he was trying to beat JohnW

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Kent,
    I’m not sure what input you’re looking for with your thread?

Don’t underestimate the importance of off-line promotion. Race cars are covered in it for race attendees and TV viewers. Then there are no doubt many magazines published and probably DVDs sold.

Any and all of them could be used by your many on-line competitors to promote their websites.

Then there is online promotion…

The only way you can attract a new potential client to your site is if they click a link to it.

To that end, the latest surveys show it is people finding links in search engines, then daylight.

The reason is that people use search engines to find new information when they want it. They predominantly use social media for entertainment.

Clarkey33, post: 204166 wrote:
    Now search on Google the Heading of the Listing Protect Speedway Fuel Pump…

As you can see by the results the dedicated website ad has the Top 4 Results, with no presence of any social media ad to be seen.
    This is not a capability unique to directories. Any website in a low level competition search market should be able to pull out specific examples where multiples of its pages list in the search results. Eg: Try a Google search for, “tecnomagnete magnet supplier Sydney”. You will find a client’s 69 page website that currently delivers every one of the first 30 pages listed on Google.

I suggest your problem will be your online competition from other vertical directories like:

my105.com
    racingcarsforsale.com.au
    irace.net.au
    classicrally.com.au
    justauto.com.au
    australianmusclecarsales.com.au
    Etc.

Were you perhaps thinking that FS would be a good place to obtain a link to your site? It won’t happen here because your links above are “no-follow” and that means they don’t count in Google’s ranking algorithm.

Hope these are the sorts of comments you were seeking.

Regs
    JohnW

PS Is that a challenge BB1? :)

Clarkey33
    Up

Hi,

I suppose i thought the article would be of interest to some people who sell online, I was actually testing the water before posting it to Customers and my Audience. Even though i have used this website for info before i was not aware of the building of one’s status, before posting such articles.

If you ask any Classified website owner i could nearly guarantee there biggest competition is Facebook, and if not now, will be in the future. Take a look at Ebay, what do you think the drive was behind buying out Gumtree?? Sure thing it was not all because of Facebook but i have no Doubt they see Facebook as an issue to their Business.

The Facebook as “Entertainment Use” is true, but they are using that to build the foundations of a very powerful platform, and no doubt we will see this into the future.

I agree with your statement about unique searches, but that is not my point. My point is a dedicated Website Classified Posting will show up in Searches where as they won’t if you solely use Facebook Etc.

My Site is 16 Months old and yes i am fully aware of my competition, which has grown 100% Since i have started this venture. As far as Link Building, not everything is about SEO, I merely have these here for the ease to reference and backup my statements,

Regards,

Kent Shelford
    Clarkey is my Nickname, Im sure you can work out Why…..
    33 is My Racing Number

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up

GDay Clarkey

Ah, now it makes sense ;) Just your initial post was signed off “Written by The Founder of w.speedwayads Kent Shelford” which i was not sure if it was you or you were posting a site info blurb that you had read…

Re status build up, no its not important to post although it may assist in your engagement if you ask questions re feedback of letter to clients, your site or any other information posted.. What does tend to happen, which you may have seen as you appear to have mentioned you have used FS as a resource, is some 1st new posters may hit with a tonne of info and include links etc to specific purposes that i am sure you are aware of.

Lets say your mates that you have know for 20 years put a piece of paper in front of you that is difficult to read, its long and exhaustive in its details and yet really want you to assist and provide feedback… i am sure you will stay true to your mateship and through this you read the entire document without skimming anything.. Would you not? and now lets say you met a stranger in a pub, your with your mates of 20 years and this stranger asks you to read a full page doc (similar to your friends doc) that is quite hard to read.. Would you give it the same effort to read this complicated doc? I know i may be a little too honest, but i would struggle to stay true and read the full page effectively from someone i didnt know, and also lacked the understanding of the information they wanted back from me in return…

Just saying..

Now i have learnt a little more, i will jump across to your site and have a look see :)

Be well Superman..

Jason

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    JohnW, post: 204204 wrote:
    Regs
    JohnW

PS Is that a challenge BB1? :)

No way, I think you win that one hands down any day…LOL…:)

Clarkey33
    Up

Hi and Thanks for Your Reply,

Thank you and understand your thoughts,

a question, Do you think the article is to in depth for the general person, as in the network my website and its social media relate too

Kent

Craig.Smith
    • Total posts: 167
    Up

I had trouble getting into the post, all the Title Case words mid sentence threw me off. Usually when I see that, it’s a spammy keyword flogging post.

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    Clarkey33, post: 204233 wrote:
    Hi and Thanks for Your Reply,

Thank you and understand your thoughts,

a question, Do you think the article is to in depth for the general person, as in the network my website and its social media relate too

Kent

Ireckon the general population will turn off 1/4 way thru the second para

JohnW
    Up
    Clarkey33, post: 204214 wrote:
    If you ask any Classified website owner i could nearly guarantee there biggest competition is Facebook, and if not now, will be in the future.
    Hi Clarkey,
    Gee, I don’t know about that. Facebook will need to change into something unrecognisable from its current form. And while its hours of usage per month kill Google, its scope of usage is a fraction and slipping.

You are equating online directories, shopping sites and entertainment sites. That’s like comparing the printed versions of Yellow Pages, Trading Post and advertising during the TV coverage of the Bathurst car race. Each is used to achieve totally different communications objectives.

I can’t see potential purchasers of used racing cars going on to Facebook. Surely they will want to go to a site that lists lots of them so they can shop around where there are lots of options.

Clarkey33, post: 204214 wrote:
    Take a look at Ebay, what do you think the drive was behind buying out Gumtree?? Sure thing it was not all because of Facebook but i have no Doubt they see Facebook as an issue to their Business.
    This one I can answer…

Ebay approached Gum Tree in 2004.

The Interview: The mysterious founders of Gumtree.com

My understanding is that the Facebook domain was first used in Aug 05 and at that stage it was only available to students via edu web servers.

It seems the Ebay acquisition could have nothing to do with Facebook.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Clarkey and co,

Just a quick note to let you all know that the original post in this thread has been edited to bring it into closer alignment with the forum guidelines.

Normally this is the kind of post that we’d remove from the forum, but since so many of you have pitched in to offer Clarkey some tips, this time we’ve edited it instead.

Clarkey, I’ve sent you a private message (PM) explaining in a bit more detail, but hope that the discussion here proves beneficial for you and your business.

Thanks for your understanding,
    Jayne

JohnW
    Up
    Clarkey33, post: 204233 wrote:
    a question, Do you think the article is to in depth for the general person…
    Hi Clarkey,
    As you may have guessed, I have a reputation among some FS members with short attention spans of creating long posts. (Can’t think why…)

What I do is create lots of visual breaks and different eye focuses in a long post.

That means the judicious use (some may say over use) of page formatting tactics like subheads, bold, italics, indenting, numbering and hypertext links, FS quoted sections, etc. (Everything but underlining, unless it is a hypertext link.)

That’s how I try to tempt them to read as far as the second sentence of my posts.

(Why do the words “pearls” and “swine” spring to mind?)
    Regs,
    JohnW
    PS You probably did better than me if you got BB1 as far as your 2nd para. :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.