Home – New Forums Selling online The Importance of Using a Dedicated Classified Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    ::
    JohnW, post: 204250 wrote:
    Hi
    PS You probably did better than me if you got BB1 as far as your 2nd para. :D

JohnW for once I have to point out an error in one of your posts, you may find this strange, but I actually do read your full posts (yes all 20 pages of them lol), and it is exactly what you said above that makes them readable.
    And now the controversial part, unlike some others they are considered and dont just give one solution (which i wont mention here)

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    bb1, post: 204252 wrote:
    JohnW for once I have to point out an error in one of your posts, you may find this strange, but I actually do read your full posts (yes all 20 pages of them lol), and it is exactly what you said above that makes them readable.
    And now the controversial part, unlike some others they are considered and dont just give one solution (which i wont mention here)
    BB1,
    Are you recommending a jump to 40 page posts?

(Gasp! Horror! Don’t encourage him!)

Every other FS will be gunning for you. Check four times whenever you cross a road!
    Regs,
    JohnW

Clarkey33
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi and WoW!!!

Thanks for the comments, where do i start……

Firstly i am sorry if the post does not fit into the rules, i am like most males and read rules and directions after i have done something lol…..

I am the First to admit that i use capitals mid sentence, Here is my Excuse. At the age of 8 i started to study music/play music. With Music you have the ability to highlight notes when needed, and tend to do this when i write, as to highlight for effect………..
    Believe all not i am a shy person who is learning to come out of my shell, and tend to use my hands to talk, which most likely lends to the capitals as well i guess.

As far as Ebay and Gumtree, I have no Doubt that Ebay seen Gumtree as a threat in 2004, hence the reason for talks, but Facebook would of been a factor in paying the cash they did…….

If you believe Facebook is not a player in the Buy Sell industry, do your research, because they are my biggest competitor……………….

Thanks For The Feedback

Kent Shelford

JohnW
    Up
    Clarkey33, post: 204260 wrote:
    If you believe Facebook is not a player in the Buy Sell industry, do your research, because they are my biggest competitor….
    Hi Clarkey,
    I’m interested & curious…

Can you be more specific about the nature of Facebook’s competition to you?

Eg:

• Are your customers advertising on Fb rather than your site?
    • Are they selling their products on their Fb pages?
    • Are there special Fb groups hitting your traffic?
    • Others….

Regs,
    JohnW

Clarkey33
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi JohnW,

Yes, One Speedway Selling Group is Nearly at 10,000 and another at 6.000 Members, with another 10 Dedicated groups just for selling Speedway, and then separate selling groups for individual speedway classes. Pages are not for selling in general in this industry so far, apart from mine. But Pages are used for Info and Results and the Magazines and Online News Websites are feeling it as this info is readily available and normally to hand quicker than any website, to the extent that most of the governing bodies are heavily using it.
    The reality is that people have had to join Facebook to keep up to date…..
    In saying all this i use Facebook to my advantage, I have a Page with 2200 Likes, 16 Months Old, that i place ads that people put on my site, I actually have a paid option for $2.99 to do this, but tend to advertise any ad placed as it gets Bums on Seats, so to speak. At this stage i do believe i have to much competition from any other Classified Website apart from My105, which is the market leader and has been established for some time. My site works and targets a different audience to some degree and my concept was to have a different platform to them.
    Like I say Facebook is by far my biggest Competition. As i Stated in my first post, it is easy, but that is because the buyer is doing the work…….

Kent Shelford

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Almost every town in Australia has some sort of buy / sell / swap FB group. There are millions of small transactions happening between people that found each other on there.

Of course classified business have noticed.

Whether or not those transactions would have happened on other classifieds sites it’s not for me to say, but I am sure ebay would have done the research.

FB is entertainment sure, but it’s actually quite a lot more.

Do you use FB John?

JohnW
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 204318 wrote:
    FB is entertainment sure, but it’s actually quite a lot more.

Do you use FB John?
    Hi Guys,
    Please don’t crucify me for being brief for once on FS. I did actually say, “predominantly”.

“They predominantly use social media for entertainment.”

I should also have added making/maintaining contact in the case of Fb.

What people may want to consider are the different characteristics of these two media (Clarkey’s online directory website vs. Fb groups).

IMHO, the winner will be the company who works out the best ways to use the characteristics of their medium to the greatest benefit of their clients.

Here are a bunch of characteristics that are chalk and cheese between the two:

• User intent
    • Target focus
    • Delivery
    • Transience
    • Timing
    • Choice
    • Information detail
    • Control

1. User intent
    A directory of products/services for sale is aimed at buyers. The Fb speedway groups I’ve looked at are aimed at people who want to know what is happening in their interest group.

2. Target focus
    Clarkey’s directory covers a very wide range of interest categories. The Fb categories I looked at can be focused on a specific make of racing vehicle.

Clarkey, What are you going to do about this attribute?

3. Delivery
    Fb automatically delivers updates to group members. A directory website has to work harder to attract people to their info delivery mechanisms.

Clarkey, I’d suggest looking at developing an email list that allows people to subscribe to updates of more specific topics of interest.

4. Transience
    Fb pages and update notifications are a 5 second wonder.

I suggest few people will open most Fb pages when the notification is about some product/service for sale that they don’t need at that time. I don’t think many will go scrolling down the history of an interest group page to see if there was something for sale that they now need.

5. Timing
    Timing is the most under valued element in the purchasing process. If car manufacturers knew when we were ready to buy a car, they would send a limo out to us and give us a guided tour of their offerings. They would not need large numbers of dealers with huge and expensive floor plans of stock.

Purchase timing is part of the problem that ails bricks and mortar retailers and is part of the reason why online only stores are able to make inroads into the traditional retail markets.

This should be the Achilles Heel for Fb vs a directory of products/services.

6. Choice
    When people want a specific product or service, they want choices. A directory should be able to provide far more options, organisable in the ways the site visitor wants.

7. Information Detail
    Fb groups can’t give much detail about the product/service wanted. A product/service directory should use this attribute to give its advertisers much more scope to deliver more text and pictorial info than a Fb group.

8. Control
    Facebook controls Fb pages. They have made huge changes that have upset/hurt many business owners. IMHO. local (Australian) Fb group owners won’t get any joy out of Fb if they have a beef with them.

I suggest this should be a major benefit to a local vertical business directory.

PS. Matt, I only use Fb as it was originally intended – to keep up with family and friends.

That does not mean I undervalue its potential to business users.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.