Home – New Forums Get productive The most polite cease-and-desist letter ever..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up
    ::

Here is an example of where politeness has got a company a lot of attention.

It’s a copyright issue and Jack Daniel’s, the whiskey company, is asking someone to refrain from using a mockup of their label.

Jack Daniel’s Sends the Most Polite Cease-and-Desist Letter Ever

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

That certainly was a very smart way of handling it.

Steve

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Yes, it was a good way to handle it but I wonder how many copycats it might spawn in the hope of getting similar results? That author will certainly be happy about the extra sales as a result.

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

Re: The most polite cease-and-desist letter ever…

That is fantastic. Everyone wins there, and it’s a great example of corporate jujitsu that turns something negative into a positive. In this case a very big positive given the extra publicity it’s received.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Easy to see how they become such a long-standing brand if they are handling things this way.

Believe it or not, ‘polite’ letters like this aren’t actually all that uncommon in the IP space. This may take it up an extra notch by even offering to cover costs to reprint sooner than later, but, I know a few large companies that handle these things in a similar way, playing the ‘we’re flattered card’…

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

That is really cool.

Not that I have come across many Cease & Desist letters in my time ;)

I think it rocked! Have bookmarked for future reference. Love how they challenged them on the level of being a JD lover rather than someone who has ripped off their imagery.

Well done!

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

I’ve had one cease-and-desist letter a few years ago. It was really quite rude and I’d had no former contact from the company before the letter from their lawyers arrived. It had to do with a keyword I was using in my Google Adwords. They had it trademarked. I’d selected keywords that Google had suggested to me would be good for my adwords. I naively accepted them all not realising one was actually a trademarked name relating to my industry. I took the name off the keyword list (it was showing up if keyword searches were done on Google) but the company could have contacted me direct asking me to take it down. I would have done it happily.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

From this day forth, everything I design will mimic the Jack Daniels brand. Think of all the money they’re gonna pay me to redesign everything. ;)

DavidThomas
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

Ha, that was excellent

Cjay
    • Total posts: 183
    Up

And now I have another reason to enjoy their fine product!

HBTRADE
    • Total posts: 125
    Up

Man, that’s great. I’ve enjoyed a sip or two (or many more) of pretty much everything from their stable. They are worth supporting if this is their standard behaviour.

Now, how do we get the likes of Apple, Microsoft & Google copy this…
    How silly of me…. they *wouldn’t dream* of copying anything… ;-)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

That’s a nice way to deal with the “mimicry”. Very smart of them. You must always practice decency on every situation :)

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Having read the letter from the alcohol merchant, what is not entirely clear is that the registered trademark applies for publishing of books!
    My guess is that it doesn’t and the Jack Daniels company has used the whole thing as a good bit of clever marketing.
    Kudos for the latter anyway!
    All the best

Gordan
    • Total posts: 119
    Up

This is the way that most problems should be sorted out, not lawsuits, puffing chests and $$ thrown around.

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Gordon, what you say is correct to any reasonable person.
    However in our world of business there are many ruthless and unreasonable people who have no morals or scruples and will break the law until they are forcibly stopped.
    Hence the lawsuits.
    I for one am unaware of a trademark owner launching a legal action before sending a load of cease and desist letters.
    All the best

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.