Home – New Forums Starting your journey the New Business Name System – IMPORTANT NOTE

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

Wasn’t really sure where to post this – but as most of you will be aware by now, a new national business name system launched this week.

DID YOU KNOW – that in bringing your existing business name onto the new system that your name & address is now publicly available when it wasn’t before?

If you are a sole trader then your name will now be accessible when reviewing your business name; plus, if you listed a residential address as your address for service (i.e. the address where notices/correspondence etc will be sent) this is also now published online. ASIC is suggesting that your ‘address for service’ not be your residential address for this reason, but also demands that it be a street address rather than a PO Box…

I knew some extra details were going to become publicly available, but have only just had a chance today to really have a good look and thought a few of you might be interested to know the above and perhaps consider changing so your personal details aren’t available in this manner.

EDIT: If you’re not certain what details may appear online – you can search here. Search Within Business Holder and put your name in to see what details come up connected to you and see if your residential address appears publicly.

Kennethti
    • Total posts: 415
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 118198 wrote:
    Hi All,

Wasn’t really sure where to post this – but as most of you will be aware by now, a new national business name system launched this week.

DID YOU KNOW – that in bringing your existing business name onto the new system that your name & address is now publicly available when it wasn’t before?

If you are a sole trader then your name will now be accessible when reviewing your business name; plus, if you listed a residential address as your address for service (i.e. the address where notices/correspondence etc will be sent) this is also now published online. ASIC is suggesting that your ‘address for service’ not be your residential address for this reason, but also demands that it be a street address rather than a PO Box…

I knew some extra details were going to become publicly available, but have only just had a chance today to really have a good look and thought a few of you might be interested to know the above and perhaps consider changing so your personal details aren’t available in this manner.

EDIT: If you’re not certain what details may appear online – you can search here. Search Within Business Holder and put your name in to see what details come up connected to you and see if your residential address appears publicly.

I like that, now I know who to properly sue hur hur hur

JacquiPryor
    Up

I like that, now I know who to properly sue hur hur hur

Yes – same thought went through my mind – or at the very least, not having to pay to figure it out! (PS – as a side note seems the like of company extracts can now be purchased directly through ASIC at a substantially lower cost than charged by the Information Brokers… not sure they will be happy with that!)

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

Hi Jacqui

How accurate is the website info?

Our partnership came up with no address listed but with a rather alarming note saying “status” = removed.

Since we file BAS religiously under this business name how can our business be cancelled without our knowing?

Clearly I’ve got some reading to do about what on earth is going on.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

I’m not excited by that. They only have my suburb showing but that’s enough for people to figure out where I am. I have a P.O. Box for a reason.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

I’m wondering how many complaints ASIC have received already.

My company shows the correct business names.

But I personally show two that were transferred to my company over three months ago (and are showing against the company), one which was cancelled four years ago, and one which was cancelled twenty years ago – yes !! 1992 !!!

*sigh* looks like I’ll be on the phone next week.

Wendy :)

JacquiPryor
    Up

How accurate is the website info?

Our partnership came up with no address listed but with a rather alarming note saying “status” = removed.

Since we file BAS religiously under this business name how can our business be cancelled without our knowing?

Clearly I’ve got some reading to do about what on earth is going on.

Hi Jane – ASIC does say that all business names have been moved onto the new system, but they are still working on some of the information attached to the name… so, keep checking.

But – if your name says ‘removed’ chances are that part is accurate. Your name would most likely have been due for renewal either 1 or 3 years after first registering – do you recall renewing?

Technically you file your BAS against the ABN, not the business name – so, if the ABN is still active then your BAS continues as normal. So, you might actually need to re-register the business name. The plus of this is that it will now cost you less than it did previously – just remember when you do so, not to put a home address as your ‘address for service’ when asked, as it will be published. Hope this helps.

JacquiPryor
    Up

They only have my suburb showing but that’s enough for people to figure out where I am. I have a P.O. Box for a reason.

Hi Suz,

Keep an eye on the database over the next few weeks. They are intending to put up full addresses of your ‘address for service’ – so, if you only have a suburb showing it’s possible further details will soon be published. But, I agree – I also have a PO Box for a reason! In other applications (for example, trademarks that I work with) it’s totally acceptable to have a PO Box as an address for service so I’m a little puzzled that for the business name registration you must now have a physical address… (From memory, you could have a PO Box under the state/territory systems – so, if you used a PO box originally you might be lucky enough to just have that move to the new system rather than appointing a physical address).

JacquiPryor
    Up
    Couple It, post: 118268 wrote:
    I’m wondering how many complaints ASIC have received already.

My company shows the correct business names.

But I personally show two that were transferred to my company over three months ago (and are showing against the company), one which was cancelled four years ago, and one which was cancelled twenty years ago – yes !! 1992 !!!

*sigh* looks like I’ll be on the phone next week.

Wendy :)

I imagine a few!! Although, this particular matter of the names/addresses being published might not be known to most. I have been receiving updates on the system for months and don’t remember this being noted!

ASIC have migrated more than 80 million records to this new system so it is possible some information is not fully updated/available just yet… they have also apparently received more than 5700 new applications since Monday, which is 3-4 times more than the average under the old systems.. so, no doubt they are nice & busy!

I would keep checking the database over the next week or two before spending time on the phone with them… I did a search on your name and am seeing that it links over to your company, with 2 business names that I imagine are current names for you and not cancelled names… so, it might just be taking a little bit of time to get all the details up to date…

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

On the search pane for a person at the new business names index, there is a message that says … ‘Privacy law restricts the way we use and display personal information such as residential address and a person’s date and place of birth. We cannot always combine search results for a single person and may return several results showing the same or similar name, which may or may not be the same person.’

Doesn’t that mean that they can only show the suburb?
    I have 3 trading names and they all just show the suburb.
    Is that what yours shows?

JacquiPryor
    Up

I don’t have a business name but a company, so a search on my name is not showing much at all.

But – I tested it with my mum’s business, as she is a sole trader and her home address is published;

I am wondering if at this stage, businesses registered before 28 May in their respective states or territories, when I believe a PO Box could have been used for the ‘address for service’, if these details are not migrating over (or haven’t yet) because they now want a physical address.

I went through the new business application form yesterday to familiarise myself with it and the form itself is quite clear that physical address must be used for address for service and this will be published; if your principal place of business is also your residential address, then there’s a little box to tick on the new forms to restrict these full details to only showing the suburb/state. I think that by making it clear in these forms that an address for service should not be a residential address because it will be published may be there way of getting around certain privacy laws?

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 118288 wrote:
    Hi Suz,

Keep an eye on the database over the next few weeks. They are intending to put up full addresses of your ‘address for service’ – so, if you only have a suburb showing it’s possible further details will soon be published. But, I agree – I also have a PO Box for a reason! In other applications (for example, trademarks that I work with) it’s totally acceptable to have a PO Box as an address for service so I’m a little puzzled that for the business name registration you must now have a physical address… (From memory, you could have a PO Box under the state/territory systems – so, if you used a PO box originally you might be lucky enough to just have that move to the new system rather than appointing a physical address).

I’ll do that. If my physical address starts to show up I’ll be on the phone to them pretty quick smart.

JacquiPryor
    Up

Am bumping this back up…

Apparently, your address for service on a business name can now be a PO Box so no longer has to be a full street address (e.g. possibly your home address).

If you have previously listed your residential address for this purpose on your business name, you might consider contacting ASIC to change it over to a PO Box so your residential address is not quite so easy for all to see.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    Up

Thanks for reminding me. I’ve just checked and it comes up with my P.O. Box and also my home suburb as a separate entry. Almost right.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.