Home – New Forums Marketing mastery The Politics of Pussy. Genius!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    The Infotainer
    • Total posts: 612
    Up
    ::

there is a different between asking for help and getting suggestions on a forum and taking an idea from elsewhere

he is an alternative angle

A friend of mine Raymond Crowe, some of you may know him as the Hand shadowguy from youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAQxNVQF_I0

now a guy overseas tried to copy his act see here http://raymondcrowe.com/rip_off.html

according to people here the guy doing the copying is well within his rights to do so

or If I am wrong where do you draw the line

I had the privilege of being Ray’s roadie many years ago, I must have seen his act 50 times, yet for some strange reason I never copied his act yet I know technically I could do it, and I knew it got amazing results

The Infotainer
    Up
    Aidan, post: 82911 wrote:
    Infotainer,

You are entitled to your opinions though how you can form them without having the facts (i.e. the results of the campaign as measured against its objective), is beyond me…

UMMMMMMMMMM You don’t have any facts either, no one does so how can anyone say it is genius

Thats one of the points no one has any facts, yet other posters on this form are allowed to form the conclusion that it is genius, yet with the same evidence in hand I say it is not genius and you don’t like it.

Obviously I don’t like the ad, and I don’t like copy cats.

With regards to my own magic show let me clarify

80% is my own material, 20% is material that I have bought the rights to with my money from the creator, or I have earned the respect of the entertainer and they have given me their blessing to use their material, although I have changed that particular piece to fit in with my own style. I didn’t see another entertainer and say- that looks good, that works I’ll do it as well cos I know I can make a buck out of it.

I myself have had my ideas and shows copied, Imagine spending several years to create a show and concept only to have it taken away and performed half as good by someone charging 1/3 of the price.

so I guess until you yourself have been copied you’ll never get it.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Welzman,

several people liked the ad and how it grabs attention and got some buzz happening so they agreed it was ‘genius’ for those reasons, they are entitled to their opinion.

We don’t know who copied who or what agreement they had (or needed) to do so. It may even be the same agency behind the creative?

Its great you can legitimately licence some of your material from elsewhere and change it to suit your own style, lots of people do that sort of thing, including advertising agencies.

It’s a shame others copy your ideas then offer their service cheaper but we live on planet reality. I have my ideas and my content copied constantly (we call it ‘scraping’ in the online marketing world) but I deal with it as part of living here.

I don’t mind the fact you disagree with others, just that you try to insist you alone are correct and the rest of us are wrong, unethical and disrespectful. We’re not! We are just in agreement about what we believe is a great ad.

Now how about that deep breath again? Let’s all take a pill from the bottle marked ‘chill’ and agree to differ without insulting others.

I look forward to seeing your show sometime, I wonder if I’ll be able to spots the parts you licenced from others? I absolutely love the Derren Brown and Chris Angel styles, could watch them for hours so you’ll have a new fan if you do any of that sort of material. :)

The Infotainer
    Up

not a criss angel fan sorry, but I do some mentalism.

but I will point out that when your entire act is stolen its similar to your entire business model, not an idea here and there but the whole thing, there is someone else out there an exact clone down to the one liners, down to the tie I wore, and when a larger company did it, who have since gone out of business yaay) now the previous owner is a motivational speaker who speaks on how to be creative.

I have alot of issues when it comes to this topic so I will work my way through them

Beautician
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

The expression “genius!” or “gold!” are terms regularly used in Australian slang to describe a unique spirit. You seem to have taken umbrage at a tradition you have taken very little time to investigate.

The ad is not unique. So what? Neither are countless others. And neither is finger puppetry, by the way. But that wasn’t the point of the thread. The spirit behind it is. Perhaps you might like to cultivate something similar.

Penguin, I thought the same regarding the URL too. A missed opportunity there. Regarding whether the ad has meant success for RY, I rang the salon early last week and had a chat with staff there. They’ve increased sales by 300%. Not bad!

Aidan
    Up
    Beautician, post: 83281 wrote:
    … I rang the salon early last week and had a chat with staff there. They’ve increased sales by 300%. Not bad!

Excellent! Glad to hear it, I had hoped somebody would try to find out but as I don’t need a brazillian tidy up right now I couldn’t find the excuse. :)

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

ok Aidan, how am I supposed to get THAT image out of my head now ?!?!? lol

Wendy :)

Aidan
    Up

LMAO – sorry Wendy!

AquaGirl
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

This thread is hilarious.

I did think it was a clever way to get attention, however when i saw the post about the singapore version it is far too similar.

Without getting emotional, i also believe there need to be ethics in business. Yes there are small similarities in ads but it becomes intellectual property theft when something is very closely copied.

I recently heard of a business complaining how their whole website was copied word for word…… while it is crucial to stand out and do something clever, even if it annoys some people, theres something to be said about using ones own ideas to gain attention

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up

Who Gives a Rat’s Patootie?…LMAO…

Two of the major players where most of us do our shopping copy each other all the time…Hint, Hint!…Down, Down…

If there is an issue with plagiarism why aren’t the creators of the original ad complaining? Surely, they would have heard about now, don’t you think so?

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to show how to utilise any form of advertising to achieve a successful marketing plan, whether it’s controversial or not.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

They should have used this cat.

donskoy.jpg

Aidan
    Up

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Aidan splutters coffee over his desk…

oh dearie me…

Any bald rooster pics for Anna?

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Aidan, post: 83530 wrote:
    Any bald rooster pics for Anna?

I reckon this might fit the bill…

bald_rooster.jpg

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

ewwww… 😮

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    bluepenguin, post: 83543 wrote:
    ewwww… 😮

Couldn’t find any pics of plucked penguins ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.