Home – New Forums Other discussions The reason I’m glad I work from home…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up
    ::

Checked my (full-time employment) work email this morning to find this email…

Hi all

As we all know the morning teas have been cut down to once a month.

We are proposing having a second morning tea each month whereby we all contribute by bringing either home baked or shop bought goods.

Option two, would be a gold coin contribution towards our second morning tea to fund the goodies.

Please let me know by using the voting buttons if you are for or against this suggestion.

PLEASE NOTE: Majority vote rules which means that all should be involved and if the majority votes “Yes” everyone will be expected to contribute.

Made me so happy I work from home and not in the office… :D My biggest office politics moment is negotiating with the dog to stop hogging the heater…

Cheers
    Daniel

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

That email would make any thinking person want to work from home or even better become a soloist.

I’m trying to reduce the number of coffee breaks by drinking tea
    I’m also reduced food intake to one meal a day (all day)
    And as for any gold coins, well we often find a few doing our sons washing.

So for those that still have a boss to suggest what to do and when to do it.
    Wakeup and join the freedom from servitude, become a soloist

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

My top reason is a little bit of flexibility. Had to duck out unexpectedly this morning, would be nigh on impossible if I worked for someone. :)

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

This is why I left the networking group I was part of… we were all being forced to pay for breakfasts, even though most of us didn’t actually eat very much (if anything) and the food was all bakery items. It was either pay up ($10), or bring a bottle of water because hot drinks would no longer be available. $10 is a hellavua lot for a cup of coffee in my book.

I decided I’d enjoy a sleep-in instead :)

Melanie Miller Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 90
    Up

Same argument in my office…

Ziggy, stop hogging the heater!

p.s Ziggy is a dog!

So glad not to have to deal with office politics anymore!

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Amen to that!!!!! :d

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Actually, you have omitted the most important reason why it is good to work from home.
    You don’t have to fight the traffic to get to work and then deal with the feral traffic cops who are like vultures in for the kill, stealing money from law abiding motorists entrapped by ridiculously low speed limits and then to deal with their hatred and aggression as they write out tickets.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Snakeman, post: 165411 wrote:
    Actually, you have omitted the most important reason why it is good to work from home.
    You don’t have to fight the traffic to get to work and then deal with the feral traffic cops who are like vultures in for the kill, stealing money from law abiding motorists entrapped by ridiculously low speed limits and then to deal with their hatred and aggression as they write out tickets.Whoa! You know the feral cops you hate so much are just doing their job.

I have not had a ticket in years, I guess that is because I stay under the limit. You might want to do the same.

RymeraWebCo
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Ahh I don’t miss those silly voting emails at all!

I love the flexibility too.. we just had a kid earlier in the year and being about to flit about doing work on a schedule of my choosing is just something that wouldn’t have been possible in a workplace environment.

Solo founders ftw! 😎

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Just this morning I was up early with my 8 month old and flicked on the radio to ABC and heard the very specific and sombre jingle that prefaces the early morning news.

I used to have my radio alarm tuned to this station and that jingle was the signal that it was time to get out of bed and ready for work.

Hearing it today, I had a Pavlovian, physical reaction of butterflies and nausea and I felt a fresh wave of appreciation that I don’t have to head into an office any more!

Soloism FTW indeed. Someone should write a book about how brilliant it is. Oh hang on

Sam

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Well, I am glad I work from home, for all the reasons listed above… But now I actually have close to the reverse problem of Snakeman – I was cycling to work before I got retrenched, now it’s more complicated to get out and exercise!

Kathy

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

Actually what you do is put aside time during the day for your ride.
    What you all should be doing is having “My Time”.
    Turn off phones computers TV and get out side for 30 minutes

You gust have to lock it in in your diary

I still do that even now I am supposed to be retired. Just grab a set of keys and go for a walk, in 30 minutes you can walk 2-21/2 klm and you feel quite invigorated afterwards. Clears the mind, if you leave you iPod at home as well, just silence or the roar of traffic songs of the birds or aircraft overhead. They are blocked out by your concentrating on nothing, just walking.
    Try it you may find you like it.

WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up

Thought you’d all like to know the outcome of the vote…

The results are in and the majority of you have voted to have a self-funded morning tea. YAY!!!

So let us kick off our first self-funded morning tea next Wednesday.

The options are either:

1. You bring in home baked or shop bought goods.
    or
    2. You contribute a gold coin towards the morning tea for goodies to be bought.
    or
    3. You don’t contribute and then abstain from participating.

I shall send out the invite shortly.

If you could please let me know which of the above you shall be doing it would be very much appreciated.

I’ve discussed it with the other occupants of my office and we have decided to go with option 1 – but to make it a daily activity rather than every few weeks. Dog number 1 is now on his way out the back to see what he can dig up… :D

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

Oh dash I have another appointment on Wednesdy, but I like the idea that I thought Lunch could happen if I wasn’t so busy.

Still enjoy the self funded morning tea.
    This idea could actually catch on
    Hmmmmmm

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up
    Burgo, post: 165873 wrote:
    Actually what you do is put aside time during the day for your ride.
    What you all should be doing is having “My Time”.
    Turn off phones computers TV and get out side for 30 minutes

You gust have to lock it in in your diary

I still do that even now I am supposed to be retired. Just grab a set of keys and go for a walk, in 30 minutes you can walk 2-21/2 klm and you feel quite invigorated afterwards. Clears the mind, if you leave you iPod at home as well, just silence or the roar of traffic songs of the birds or aircraft overhead. They are blocked out by your concentrating on nothing, just walking.
    Try it you may find you like it.

Thanks for that, Burgo – I’m working on it!

I actually had a few weeks where I took a day off each week – to spend on me!
    But can’t do that just at the moment… But I have a wristband on again to try and remind myself to look after me – see how it goes this time!

Kathy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.