Home – New Forums Other discussions the “reasons nobody would think of” for flying solo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    3dgraphicswiz
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

There are some reasons that fall into the “spare bucket of solo” category.

1. monitoring of workers.
    I hate this. I absolutely hate it. Amazon thinks that by tracking workers with GPS and reprimanding them for “talking to co workers” too much that better outcomes occur?

More likely that people take days off sick for feeling so intruded upon. More likely that a culture of divided workers makes workers hate each other and not work well together.

I don’t want to be monitored like some lab rat. I want to be a human being. I want to be free. And if the world wants this garbage then I would rather employ myself.

2. The age barrier to employment.
    Everyone gets closer to it every year. Well stuff that. Employ yourself. Then the you are 45 , 50 or what the heck the magic trash heap age is can stuff itself. Didn’t that Facebook moron Zuckerberg say this year that he wasn’t interested in employing anyone over 30? Trying not to be political. But this is the real issue of older workers: age discrimination. All the fluff in the budget is just the easy way out for politicians. The real hard work is about changing anti-age cultures.

3. wanting to avoid crime/industries and CEOs who are into dodgy dealings. Wanting to avoid being taken down by the next Enron scam. This was a big reason why I never went into any business/accounting for a career. I have always been worried that I could act totally legally and honestly. Yet some CEO could want to put the blame onto someone else for his or her dodgy stuff. So in some obscure part of the corporations act I get nabbed and charged for something. Um. No thanks. I’d rather employ myself.

4. wanting to avoid the public service culture of bullying which has to be the worst in the world in this country. The recent inquiry into bullying in CSIRO is a case in point.

3dgraphicswiz
    Up

5. not having to run around to a zillion job interviews at my time and expense.

6. avoiding the “internship stunt” where you are only paid in “experience” for a length of time that should have progressed into paid work.

So no stunts. No mafia companies. No other nonsense. Fly solo and avoid the lot.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Some stirring stuff here! If you’ve not read it, Peter Crocker’s article is something of a manifesto to soloism.

Love your work,

Robert :)

3dgraphicswiz
    Up

Thank you! :)

Great link!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.