Home – New Forums Tech talk Think Less About Search! Google Instant Is Here…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up
    ::

Take a peek at the new search enhancement Google has introduced to make your search queries that much easier…View Here. If you want to try it out now go here.

zhenjie
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

hmmm, ok from a user perspective. Not so great for long-tail SEO terms :(

mike123
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Its okey for short terms but long terms it diverts user attention. I have feel and don’t thinks its good.

Regards:- SEO Sydney

Cesar
    Up
    zhenjie, post: 49753 wrote:
    hmmm, ok from a user perspective. Not so great for long-tail SEO terms :(

This is quite true because it tends to prioritize short keywords, some which are irrelevant, in lieu of keyword phrases. So looking at it from an SEO point of view it will make it all that more difficult to compete against your selected keywords. It will have a big impact on paid and organic search varieties for all Search Marketers.

Basically what this means, if you are trying to compete for keywords that are not so competitive you will Miss Out Big Time in getting traffic to your site for those keywords.

Looking at it from Google’s point of view, it is trying ever more so to make it harder to rank on page #1. It is definitely succeeding in Weeding-Out all the rubbish online.

Here is another great video to explain what I mean. View Here

Cesar
    Up
    mike123, post: 49759 wrote:
    Its okey for short terms but long terms it diverts user attention. I have feel and don’t thinks its good.

From the perspective of SEO consultants it’s definitely not good, but from the perspective of Google and people searching online it will serve one purpose only, and that is Faster search results.

I’m sure there are a few worried SEO firms and consultants out there wondering what the outcome will be for them.

mark_xpnsit
    • Total posts: 140
    Up

As always with Google they create ‘improvements’ for their customers and this is one of them. It might affect SEO companies and long-tail results but I don’t think it will make a big difference – it might require SEO consultants to look at what Google throws up first for the main keywords and direct their attention towards this

Cesar
    Up
    mark_xpnsit, post: 49815 wrote:
    It might affect SEO companies and long-tail results but I don’t think it will make a big difference – it might require SEO consultants to look at what Google throws up first for the main keywords and direct their attention towards this

Realistically it will make a big difference for SEO companies and or consultants. Reason being for too long they have been telling people they can get them to the top of SE’s for keywords that are either not profitable or quite ineffective in terms of driving traffic and profits.

The great thing about Instant Search is that it prioritizes the most relevant and most competitive keyword first. This will make it even more difficult for the SEO industry to claim they can get you to the top of SE’s.

In the long run it’s good for everyone doing business or purchasing products and information online.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    WAHE, post: 49869 wrote:
    Realistically it will make a big difference for SEO companies and or consultants. Reason being for too long they have been telling people they can get them to the top of SE’s for keywords that are either not profitable or quite ineffective in terms of driving traffic and profits.

The great thing about Instant Search is that it prioritizes the most relevant and most competitive keyword first. This will make it even more difficult for the SEO industry to claim they can get you to the top of SE’s.

In the long run it’s good for everyone doing business or purchasing products and information online.
    Hi Wahe,

What I read is that Instant Search is Google’s attempt to help speed up the search process. Personally, I don’t find it helps achieve this objective very much.

We also know that Google is in a media space battle with Facebook and others. The Google corporate video you referenced looks way over-hyped to me and really smacks of playing for the company’s share values.

At this stage Instant Search seems all rather “ho hum”. For SEO companies it will be yet another element to explore to see what, if any impact it has on obtaining search engine referrals.

People may like to check out Google’s SE spam unit boss Matt Cutt’s, “Thoughts on Google Instant” of 8 Sep. (http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/thoughts-on-google-instant/). This is a discussion without all the hype of the corporate video and it also includes a video.

Here are some quotes from the page:

“Q: Does Google Instant kill search engine optimization (SEO)?
    A: No! Almost every new change at Google generates the question “Will X kill SEO?”’

“Q: Will Google Instant change search engine optimization?
    A: I think over time it might. The search results will remain the same for a query, but it’s possible that people will learn to search differently over time.”

People have been changing how they search for the 16 years I’ve been in the industry. It’s largely a factor of the web growing from a few million pages in the early 90s to over 1 trillion in 2008. You could obtain meaningful results with a 1-2 word search phrase back then. Now the average search session is between 5-6 search phrases and the search phrases have grown to between 4 & 5 words long on average. The only way Instant Search could change this would be if Google decided to cut its database back to a few million pages.

People will be changing how they search with or without Instant Search – Nothing new here.

Wahe, I don’t understand the point you are making about prioritising the “most relevant and competitive keyword first”?

If I type, “jobs in sale”, Google Instant suggests phrases like “jobs in Salem” and “jobs in Salem Oregon”. It is not saving me any typing if I want “jobs in sales”.

If I type, “sales jobs”, it gives me the results for “sales jobs in Chicago”.

Neither is helping me much as a searcher except in the unlikely event I’m looking for a job in either of these two cities.

Google’s keyword tool tells me that “jobs sales” and “sales jobs” are used exactly the same number of times in searches, which is impossible. (Do you know that these Google tools do not deliver “real” results?) If I look both phrases up in Google’s Traffic Estimator, I am given very different click-through results. This does not appear to be reflected in Instant Search, so again I am confused by your comment about prioritising the “most relevant and competitive keyword first”.

What is the most relevant word in this example, “jobs” or “sales”? It looks to me like I will need to start typing in a location word before I will see relevant search results.

Google has been showing interpretive search words for a while. All Instant does is throw a result up while you continue to type your search phrase.

It appears to me that all Instant Search is likely to do is save me some key strokes for some search phrases.

I may be missing something but I don’t see how Instant Search is going to impact on how hard or easy it will be to rank top of a specific search phrase.

What we have is yet another search option for people to discuss and spread misinformation about.

I suggest that what this and all the other search options introduced by Google are likely to do is make obtaining search engine referrals more complex and it will be even harder for website owners to spot the SEOs who don’t know what they are talking about.

Regs,

JohnW

Cesar
    Up
    JohnW, post: 49904 wrote:
    I may be missing something but I don’t see how Instant Search is going to impact on how hard or easy it will be to rank top of a specific search phrase.

Hi John,

Let’s take for example the keyword “SEO” and the key-phrase “SEO consultant”. I’m sure you would agree that is extremely difficult to rank on page #1 for SEO as opposed to SEO Consultant.

By using Instant Search you will notice one important factor when you type in SEO Consultant. Whereas before you only got a drop down list of keywords, this time you will have an instant view of a complete page of relevant websites ranking for the keyword SEO. So the chances of losing that customer searching for SEO Consultant is dramatically increased.

Basically what will happen here is that it will make it much more difficult to get traffic for less popular key-phrases. Before you even have a chance to finish typing “SEO Consultant” the more highly competitive keyword “SEO” and websites ranking for that keyword will show up first on page 1 with Instant Search

JohnW, post: 49904 wrote:
    I suggest that what this and all the other search options introduced by Google are likely to do is make obtaining search engine referrals more complex and it will be even harder for website owners to spot the SEOs who don’t know what they are talking about.

I truly think it will have the opposite effect as it will “Set-Apart” the true SEO professionals from the SEO scammers.

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

I personally hate it, and i’m glad it’s only on the USA version for now.

Besides anything do do with SEO and results relevency of which there is a lot of good debate already, i find it really distracting visually when trying to type something in to have all these other stuff flashing up.

If i’m searching for something starting with A, I have no need to see “A is for Amazon” results first before Google has even given me a change to type in what I want!

Matt

JohnW
    Up
    WAHE, post: 49981 wrote:
    Hi John,

Let’s take for example the keyword “SEO” and the key-phrase “SEO consultant”…

I truly think it will have the opposite effect as it will “Set-Apart” the true SEO professionals from the SEO scammers.
    WAHE,
    If your post had said that most SEO consultants did not know the limits of their expertise and that as a result they were a fool to themselves and a danger to others, then I could have been the first to agree with you.

However, I find nothing to support your postulation that Google’s Instant Search will unmask or make redundant incompetent SEO consultants.

It seems to me that what has been introduced is yet another SEO “buzz” word that will provide more ammunition to the unscrupulous and incompetents to confuse and obfuscate SEO to the average website owner.

Let me repeat what Google employees have said:
    “Q: Does Google Instant kill search engine optimization (SEO)?
    A: No! Almost every new change at Google generates the question “Will X kill SEO?”’
    (http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/thoughts-on-google-instant/)

Here is another response by a respected SEO authority:
    “7 Reasons Why Google Instant Makes SEO Dead-on Relevant”
    http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/100914-010101

If you are wanting to make the point that some SEO consultants charge a lot of money to target a small number of search phrases and that there may be more cost effective strategies that could be employed to achieve this objective, then I agree with you 100%.

The problem is that I think you are unintentionally misinterpreting what Google’s Instant does in your zeal to find a magic answer to this issue.

It seems to me you have a major credibility problem with the example you cite to support your contention (SEO consultant).

All people have to do is type in every single character and space in this search phrase (starting with the letter “s”) and observe the dramatically changing and irrelevant results that Google serves up with every single key stroke to realise that Instant is unlikely to make a significant change to how they search, nor to have much impact on what we both want which is to unmask incompetent SEO consultants.

Regs,

JohnW

Cesar
    Up

John Buddy,

If you had read my posts more carefully you would have noticed that at no stage did I mention SEO IS DEAD.

The purpose of using the example of “SEO” and “SEO Consultant” is to show how Instant Search brings up the most relative, competitive keyword and websites before showing less competitive key-phrases.

The only major difference now is that websites are also instantly shown whereas before only a drop-down list of keywords were present. There is a bigger distraction now that by showing websites as you search you could lose traffic. Nothing complicated with that scenario.

prepaidplans
    • Total posts: 38
    Up

I also found it quite distracting with all of these irrelevant words appearing which had nothing to do with what I was typing in. SEO industry is always changing and people who rely on google traffic will have to learn to work around these tools and their changes, or get smarter and brand better so that they aren’t totally reliant upon google for their livelihood.

JohnW
    Up

Hi WAHE,
    We need to be very careful that people don’t assume that facts are being cited here. That’s why I’ve jumped in with a detailed explanation.

We are each voicing opinions, not facts. I am not attacking you. You are totally entitled to your opinions.

Neither of us have all the facts because Google never gives them out but these are the statements in your posts that I believe may be inaccurate and why I believe you are off the mark:

1. “Looking at it from Google’s point of view, it is trying ever more so to make it harder to rank on page #1. It is definitely succeeding in Weeding-Out all the rubbish online.”
    2. “…all that more difficult to compete against your selected keywords”
    3. “It will have a big impact on paid and organic search varieties for all Search Marketers”
    4. “…if you are trying to compete for keywords that are not so competitive you will Miss Out Big Time”
    5. “…it (Google) is trying ever more so to make it harder to rank on page #1”
    6. “The great thing about Instant Search is that it prioritizes the most relevant and most competitive keyword first. This will make it even more difficult for the SEO industry to claim they can get you to the top of SE’s.”

Google has said categorically that Instant has no impact on how pages are ranked in search results.

Google has not intentionally reduced the size of its index as far as I am aware. In fact, it increased it significantly by adding twitter posts for the first time earlier this year.

That would seem to nullify your “weeding out the rubbish” statement and your various statements about being harder to compete or rank.

Why would Google want to make it harder to rank #1 for any search phrase? I believe what Google wants is to deliver the most relevant results to its users. If they don’t do that, people will switch to search engines that do.

“It will have a big impact on paid and organic search” – Are you saying that Google is implementing this change to drive up the cost per click of Adwords? Sorry, I don’t believe this.

“This will make it even more difficult for the SEO industry to claim they can get you to the top of SE’s”. I don’t subscribe to this approach to SEO but it seems to me that if it is harder to get to the top of a specific search phrase and while there are website owners who want to chase a specific search phrase then all this will do is cause SEOs to charge more because it will take more time to achieve top ranking results.

“it prioritizes the most relevant and most competitive keyword first”. How? The searcher decides what words are used first. Last month month 4 million US searches started with the words “small business”. Google has no idea what info they were seeking at that point and Instant Search changes the displayed results with every single keystroke. If you happen to be looking for a “small business seo consultant in Dallas”, it takes Google Instant until the last “a” in “Dallas” (around 40 keystrokes) to accurately predict then deliver the results you’re after. Please don’t tell me that people don’t use phrases this long. (See Google quote below.)

Here are some other comments that Google staff have made recently: (http://www.bgtheory.com/blog/are-search-queries-becoming-even-more-unique-statistics-from-google/)

“54.5% of user queries are greater than 3 words”
    “70% of queries have no exact-matched keywords”

Back in 2001 only a third of searches used 3 or more words in search phrases (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_search_query).

Back in 2000 Google had only indexed 1.3 billion web pages. (http://www.google.com/press/pressrel/pressrelease51.html) Now it has over 1 trillion pages in its index.

Back to my opinion.

The reason people have to use longer search phrases now is directly related to the quantum leap in documents that match search phrases.

To qualify for Google’s search results list, every word used in the search phrase must occur somewhere on a page (or in the links text to it). When you start typing the search words “small business”, Google has 689 million pages it is ranking. By the time you complete the full search phrase above, there are only 275 thousand pages that match the phrase. In this example, it is the location word that really determines the final relevancy of results.

There is nothing in anything I have read from Google about Instant Search that seems likely to have any impact on this requirement for long search phrases.

You may want to consider Google’s statement that “70% of queries have no exact-match keywords” – that is 750 million searches per DAY have no exact match. I would have thought that this statement alone, invalidates many of your suppositions.

Regs,

JohnW

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    JohnW, post: 50361 wrote:
    Google has said categorically that Instant has no impact on how pages are ranked in search results.

I think this is irrelevant.

People’s behavior is easily altered by suggestion (especially the non thinking pleb that seems to be the majority). That’s the change that will occur. It’s just a matter of degree.

If I understand it correctly youtube have been making suggestions in their search for a while. I change my search behavior there because sometimes something more interesting comes up :)

…As for any other aspects of SEO other than keyword research, me being someone who is not fully knowledgeable about SEO, I can’t see that instant search would make any difference to anything.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.