Home – New Forums New here? Share your story This is what I’ve been dreaming of!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Bambou Home
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hello to everyone at Flying Solo!

I thought I’d just pop in and say hello…I have been reading some of the forums getting some great advice so wanted to join myself!

I’m 25 and have just started my own business being a website…have just launched last night!! Very exciting for me! Please have a look at:
    http://www.bambouhomeandbaby.com.au

I’d love to get feedback as i’m still waiting for my first order! (i know it will take time). I’d like to get anybody’s advice on SEO or getting traffic to websites…??

Hope you enjoy! :)

julia.alice
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Lovely website and lovely products. I shop online for baby stuff alot and I always prefer websites that have free shipping. Of course you just make the product more expensive to make up for it. It’s much more simple to know what your spending that way.

MikeB
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Nice looking website. As far as SEO goes, your on-site SEO needs some attention. Your site has been build with Joomla software that uses dynamic URL’s which aren’t very search engine friendly.

For example http://www.bambouhomeandbaby.com.au/babywear.html?page=shop.product_details&category_id=2&flypage=flypage_ic.tpl&product_id=4

You need to get your web designer to change them to static URL’s that look like this http://www.bambouhomeandbaby.com.au/babywear/bodystocking.html

Then your keywords need to reflect what is on the page. This page has these keywords

baby, clothes, gifts, baby shower, boy, girl, stylish, quality, clothing, etc

For a start they aren’t relevant to that page. If the page is about a “bodystocking” the first keyword needs to be bodystocking, and the so on.

Also the keywords you’re using are too broad, for example if you’re targeting “stylish quality clothing” then that’s what the keyword needs to be.

Finally if you want to check the keywords your web designer has used just right click on the side of the web page and then select “view page source”

Hope this helps
    Cheers

Neddy
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

Welcome! Lovely site – great potential.

But I must say to you what I have said to others. Imho, you need a mission statement right up top – tell us about you and why we should buy from you; what we can expect inside etc.

It’s like a bricks and mortar store – we need good window dressing to entice us inside. :)

Good luck and best wishes!

Cheers, Ned

MikeB
    Up
    Neddy, post: 72752 wrote:
    . . . . you need a mission statement right up top – tell us about you and why we should buy from you; what we can expect inside etc.

I couldn’t agree with this more. Just displaying what you’re selling isn’t enough.

Using a good SEO copywriter is one option. The value a good copywriter can add to an ecommerse site can come back many, many times over in sales.

Also from a pure SEO perspective mixing homewares with baby wear isn’t the best combination. It will be easier to rank for either one or the other than both at the same time. Not saying it won’t work but you’re just making it harder for your self.

Cheers

MikeSmith
    • Total posts: 38
    Up

Some really great and simple advice in here – cheers guys. Keep it coming!

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Hey there – nice looking website & I wish you the best of luck with your new business.

As others have said you need to do some work on your SEO….. on your product pages for example you have the product name as the title, which is GOOD, however it could still be improved more by maybe something like “Product Name – Babywear”.

Also I noticed the product name such as “Savannah Bodystocking” on your product pages were IMAGES…. this is a big no, no when it comes to SEO…… you are not taking advantage of some valuable keyword text on the page for your product.

Your category pages also need some improving…. the page title currently just states the category name, for example: “Footwear”….. this is no good; people searching for footwear could be looking for footwear for adults, teens for example; you need to TARGET YOUR MARKET!! Also….. “Baby Shoes” is literally searched 100x more than “Baby Footwear”, so that’s something else to consider.

Quote:
    Then your keywords need to reflect what is on the page. This page has these keywords

baby, clothes, gifts, baby shower, boy, girl, stylish, quality, clothing, etc

Search Engines these days don’t really pay much attention to the “META Keywords” so I wouldn’t worry too much about them.

I hope this helps you!

Brett

MikeB
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 72790 wrote:
    Search Engines these days don’t really pay much attention to the “META Keywords” so I wouldn’t worry too much about them.

Keywords are the basis of how search engines work. Somebody types in some keywords and they are then presented with a list of results. The results that are presented are determined by many, many factors which include relevant keyword usage on the page and relevant keyword usage in the meta.

Now at the end of the day nobody but the search engines know how much importance the search engines place on these keywords in determining the rankings as they don’t release this information.

Therefore within the SEO fraternity there are many varying opinions, most probably determined by personal experience.

So what needs to be understood is that when you go to optimise your on-site SEO you are not competing with the search engines you are competing with other websites which are also competing for a certain keyword.

As a consequence if the rest of the sites you’re competing with don’t have well optimised keywords (and believe me many don’t) then it is still possible for you to rank above them with badly selected keywords. In other words you’re just the best of a bad bunch but in the eyes of the search engines you are a still winner . . . . which is obviously good for you.

At the end of the day though, who you are competing with in April can be very different to who you competing with in May so why leave yourself to being deposed and relegated to page 2 or below simply because you neglected or placed low value on your keyword optimisation?

Therefore I always believe it’s just as easy to get things right, right from the start as it is to get things wrong (or not quite right). Plus it usually saves you a load of trouble in the long run.

mylittleeden
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    bambou home and baby, post: 72715 wrote:

I thought I’d just pop in and say hello…I have been reading some of the forums getting some great advice so wanted to join myself!

I’m 25 and have just started my own business being a website…have just launched last night!! Very exciting for me! Please have a look at:

I’d love to get feedback as i’m still waiting for my first order! (i know it will take time). I’d like to get anybody’s advice on SEO or getting traffic to websites…??

Lovely site, I hope all goes well. I’m a designer working currently working on products for ybabies/kids, wall art and clothing. There is a lot of activity on facebook for baby clothing, maybe a cheap way to get more visitors.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/sarahtrett

Good luck would be nice hearing how it goes…

Bambou Home
    Up

Wow! Thank you all so so much for your feedback, it’s a real help! I am going to have to get cracking with a mission statement, keywords and URLs…
    My developer is a friend who’s job was just the website so i’m going to be doing this myself – I would love to post again when i think i’m finished to get more feedback.
    Thank you so much again! This is a great forum!! Hope you are all doing well in your business! :)

jaycar
    • Total posts: 46
    Up

Hi
    Yes I agree with the keyword statements here. You really should choose some ‘longtail’ keywords rather than such generic words, something like, ‘buy baby clothes online’. You need to make yourself different and optimize your pages according to your keywords. Then at least you can achieve some good rankings.

Alex Honey: Int Design
    • Total posts: 151
    Up

Hi
    Congrats on your site -it looks lovely.

Everyone has been really supportive with great tips on getting your site viewable, which Im sure will help.

Ive been buying bamoo clothing and sheets (they make Egyptian cotton seem like sandpaper!) for years so its great to see the market expanding.

Good luck and have fun with it

Alex

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    MikeB, post: 72798 wrote:
    Keywords are the basis of how search engines work. Somebody types in some keywords and they are then presented with a list of results. The results that are presented are determined by many, many factors which include relevant keyword usage on the page and relevant keyword usage in the meta.

Now at the end of the day nobody but the search engines know how much importance the search engines place on these keywords in determining the rankings as they don’t release this information.

Therefore within the SEO fraternity there are many varying opinions, most probably determined by personal experience.

So what needs to be understood is that when you go to optimise your on-site SEO you are not competing with the search engines you are competing with other websites which are also competing for a certain keyword.

As a consequence if the rest of the sites you’re competing with don’t have well optimised keywords (and believe me many don’t) then it is still possible for you to rank above them with badly selected keywords. In other words you’re just the best of a bad bunch but in the eyes of the search engines you are a still winner . . . . which is obviously good for you.

At the end of the day though, who you are competing with in April can be very different to who you competing with in May so why leave yourself to being deposed and relegated to page 2 or below simply because you neglected or placed low value on your keyword optimisation?

Therefore I always believe it’s just as easy to get things right, right from the start as it is to get things wrong (or not quite right). Plus it usually saves you a load of trouble in the long run.

I get what you’re saying but is it really worth the effort customizing the meta keywords for every single page of the site for little or no benefit?

MikeB
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 72898 wrote:
    I get what you’re saying but is it really worth the effort customizing the meta keywords for every single page of the site for little or no benefit?

It’s an interesting topic SEO as there are many wide and varied opinions.

For me though, whenever I build a web page (whether it’s for a blog or a website) it’s on-site SEO is based on Keyword Research. Therefore to add the keywords to the meta is as simple as “copy” and “paste”, as the work is already done.

Each to their own.

Eco-Aymeric
    Up

Great website and glad to see the push out for bamboo products. You may be interested in our Eco Xpo coming up in a few weeks in Sydney where we have a few exhibitors showcasing their bamboo-wares to our eco-conscious consumers. Check it out: http://www.ecoxpo.com.au … hope to see you there and meet with you. Cheers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.