Home – New Forums Tech talk This why you need a mobile friendly website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    ::

Well one reason why…

Got this today from a webmaster tools account of someone who we help with their site – built about 5 years ago and it’s not mobile responsive.

[IMG]http://tinbot.com.au/IMG_0728.PNG[/IMG]

So if you are worried about SEO on mobiles, then one of your first things you need to do is to look at making your site responsive.

SEO is just one reason.

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

Hmmm interesting. Also bounce rate is usually a lot higher when someone visits your unresponsive website on a mobile phone. And as we all know engagement equals higher conversions…

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

Google webmaster tools is invaluable. I recommend all businesses owners have this connected and actively review what is going on. From here you can fix or tell your webmaster what needs improving or fixing.

Google holds your hand on a lot of this stuff, so it is wise to iron out all the issues and suggestions where possible to ensure your indexing is not compromised.

pauls
    • Total posts: 120
    Up
    arrowwise, post: 209023 wrote:
    Google webmaster tools is invaluable. I recommend all businesses owners have this connected and actively review what is going on. From here you can fix or tell your webmaster what needs improving or fixing.

Google holds your hand on a lot of this stuff, so it is wise to iron out all the issues and suggestions where possible to ensure your indexing is not compromised.
    If GWT is offering free warnings and insights then that’s got to be great for business.

However I add these disclaimers;

1. Most of this can be avoided by taking the time to source a credible web supplier and/or having the Google/SEO/Webmaster tools discussion with your web person.
    2. Keeping your website up to date both technically and offering/content wise
    3. I’ve noticed that GWT is not up to date and can still show warnings for some time after corrected.
    4. Performing the occasional third party website audit can save your hide :-)
    arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

Some good points Paul. GWT does seem to box every site into a non negotiable tunnel of audit. Therefore you would need to be able to audit the auditors before making any drastic changes purely on what Google has advised. I have noticed that it is very slow to re-index your fixes, which can be very frustrating if you want to do real time testing.

MatthewKeath
    Up
    pauls, post: 209043 wrote:
    If GWT is offering free warnings and insights then that’s got to be great for business.

However I add these disclaimers;

1. Most of this can be avoided by taking the time to source a credible web supplier and/or having the Google/SEO/Webmaster tools discussion with your web person.
    2. Keeping your website up to date both technically and offering/content wise
    3. I’ve noticed that GWT is not up to date and can still show warnings for some time after corrected.
    4. Performing the occasional third party website audit can save your hide :-)

I think you missed my point.

Non mobile websites are being targeted by Google.

Nothing to do with your web supplier (whatever that means).

pauls
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 209055 wrote:
    I think you missed my point.

Non mobile websites are being targeted by Google.

Nothing to do with your web supplier (whatever that means).

I guess sometimes you really do need to spell it out.

You mentioned GWT notifications, so I think were allowed to talk within the confines of that topic given that ‘non-mobile friendly’ notifications are simply one of many.

As this is a small business forum less tech at times the better. and given anyone could have built that website or other FS members sites reading this post, the reference was made to web supplier and GWT.

Web supplier = someones nephew, graphic designer, seo turned web designer, wp newcomer, php developer…. I’m sure we could create a thread of entries for this alone.

GWT = Google Webmaster Tools, but there are many other industry tools – refer to web supplier.

Hopefully your not missing my point ;-).

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

User experience has never been more important than now. Google cares big time about it, and this is a great example of that.

I held a podcast recently with David Jenyns where we spoke about how important user experience is, and how Google may be looking at signals such as mobile responsiveness, CTR, bounce rates, time onsite and pages viewed.

If your site isn’t responsive (doesn’t work on mobile/tablet etc) be prepared for it to downgraded big time. Goodbye page 1, hello page 50.

There’s a catch phrase circulating around the web at the moment which is “UXO”, which stands for user experience optimisation.

Don’t get left behind, this stuff matters.

BenAtherton
    • Total posts: 60
    Up

People should talk to their ‘web supplier’ before taking any action.

I have had a couple of clients who did already have responsive websites but were approached by another company who talked them into buying a m.domain and a mobile website without consulting me first.

What they didnt realise is that they are now paying for and having to maintain two separate websites!

Nowadays I include responsiveness with every website template I build and I make sure to explain this clearly to my clients.

Many of my clients now enjoy a page 1 ranking thanks to onsite SEO alone.

pauls
    Up
    BenAtherton, post: 209066 wrote:
    People should talk to their ‘web supplier’ before taking any action.

Many of my clients now enjoy a page 1 ranking thanks to onsite SEO alone.

Onsite optimisation is way under rated.

If I had a dollar for everytime I heard “it wont make a difference” and after tweaking page elements to not only read well but send the right signal to Google there was an up-shift in G exposure I would have a fair few dollars ;-)

There seems to be a mindset especially with small business that onsite optimisation is an SEO task, opposed to a core requirement of a website build. And of-course many are not interested in SEO so unfortunately for them the website and business suffers.

John Romaine, post: 209064 wrote:
    User experience has never been more important than now. Google cares big time about it, and this is a great example of that.

There’s a catch phrase circulating around the web at the moment which is “UXO”, which stands for user experience optimisation.

Don’t get left behind, this stuff matters.

wow, if small businesses were overwhelmed by SEO, the current wave will really be a challenge. automation, profiling, engagement, content customisation all under the user experience banner but touching all parts of the business with a digital front. Its a lot to take in even for industry pro’s.

BenAtherton
    • Total posts: 60
    Up
    pauls, post: 209111 wrote:
    Onsite optimisation is way under rated.

If I had a dollar for everytime I heard “it wont make a difference” and after tweaking page elements to not only read well but send the right signal to Google there was an up-shift in G exposure I would have a fair few dollars ;-)

There seems to be a mindset especially with small business that onsite optimisation is an SEO task, opposed to a core requirement of a website build. And of-course many are not interested in SEO so unfortunately for them the website and business suffers.

Yes, if a website that is planned properly from the start, it is not much effort at all to optimise onsite whilst building the site. Much easier than coming back later and having to change/edit urls, meta, content, etc.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Troops,
    I’d like to pose a few questions into this discussion.

I’d like to preface it by reminding people of G’s current limitations and the mobile site tech innovations of relevance nearly with us. To whit:

• G has limited capability to “read” JavaScript
    • G has limited capability to “read” Ajax
    • G can’t “read” Flash
    • G can’t “read” CCS
    • What about HTTP/2?

Now my questions:

• What factors will/can G use to assess mobile sites?
    • How will those factors help improve the quality of search results?
    • What search results weighting will G implement to each of those factors?
    • How will G assess load speed or will it ignore this mission critical mobile parameter completely?
    • How quickly will G move towards using these ranking elements?

The over-riding factor for G is that it wants to provide relevant results and mobile search is its Achilles heel.

It’s secondary problem is that it does not currently offer a search results GUI that is mobile phone-friendly.

“The devil is in the detail”.

Web Designers/Developers,
    If you can’t answer the questions above and more for your clients, how can you design a mobile enabled site that will match the requirements of G’s mobile algo.

Love to hear your thoughts because I sure don’t have the answers.
    Regs,
    JohnW

MatthewKeath
    Up
    JohnW, post: 209115 wrote:
    Hi Troops,
    I’d like to pose a few questions into this discussion.

I’d like to preface it by reminding people of G’s current limitations and the mobile site tech innovations of relevance nearly with us. To whit:

• G has limited capability to “read” JavaScript
    • G has limited capability to “read” Ajax
    • G can’t “read” Flash
    • G can’t “read” CCS
    • What about HTTP/2?

Now my questions:

Unless you have a weird site that uses JS to render render everything, I don’t think it’s a problem.

Flash? If you are building in Flash then you have more problems than SEO.

I assume you mean CSS – if so that doesn’t matter because Google doesn’t need to see it.

HTTP/2 should make things faster when it’s rolled out, can’t see any other issues here.

• What factors will/can G use to assess mobile sites?
    • How will those factors help improve the quality of search results?
    • What search results weighting will G implement to each of those factors?
    • How will G assess load speed or will it ignore this mission critical mobile parameter completely?
    • How quickly will G move towards using these ranking elements?

The over-riding factor for G is that it wants to provide relevant results and mobile search is its Achilles heel.

It’s secondary problem is that it does not currently offer a search results GUI that is mobile phone-friendly.

“The devil is in the detail”.
    All these things bar site speed are irrelevant. Google says they are ranking mobile sites higher now, so all small business need a mobile friendly site. And that’s just one reason. There are others.

I am able to search fine on my mobile phone and it’s mobile friendly.

Web Designers/Developers,
    If you can’t answer the questions above and more for your clients, how can you design a mobile enabled site that will match the requirements of G’s mobile algo.

Love to hear your thoughts because I sure don’t have the answers.
    Regs,
    JohnWAll you can do it follow best practises that Google has laid out. Again, Google is only one reason to build a mobile friendly site.

1. Google says they prefer mobile friendly sites.

2. People on mobile enjoy viewing mobile friendly sites.

That is all that is needed really.

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up

Probably, the most important factor why it’s necessary, is that, as searchers become familiar with the “Mobile Friendly” label, they will most certainly by-pass the non-friendlies without thinking too much.

google-mobile-friendly-label.png

On the similar subject of a better user experience, here is another label Google is working on.

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up

“Speak of the Devil”, it’s been confirmed that on April 21, Google will eventually apply its Mobile Friendly Search Algorithm factors to rank websites.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.