Home – New Forums Money matters Thoughts on invoice templates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    happygirl
    • Total posts: 111
    Up
    ::

Hi all you helpful people,

I am thinking of doing an invoice template that shows what my standard fees would have been for a job, and then the discounted fees that I am actually charging for each fee component (Bank Transfers, Communication, MOnth End etc)

Something like

Description Hours Standard Fee – Discounted Fee – GST – Total

Obviously anxilliary costs would not have a standard fee.

Think it may end up looking very messy and taking up the whole page. What are your thoughts about doing it and any suggestions about layout.

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

Could you have each item separate, ie down the page, so

eg

Item Rate QTY Total

Standard hours $50p/h 5 $250
    Bank Transfer $30 1 $30

etc
    Then at the bottom, after the subtotal, any discount you wish to apply

Hoping I’ve interpreted what you mean correctly!

Sorry, it’s all come out a bit smushed

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

I know the standard MYOB invoice template has a space for a discount. You just type in the percentage and it calculates it for you, although it doesn’t show the total before the discount.

If you played around with it a bit, I’m sure you could get it to display the way you want.

I’d put them one above the other to keep it less cluttered. eg:

Standard fee: $xx
    Less discount: $xx

Total including discount: $xx

I’d assume all the other major accounting packages would have the same functionality.

On-the-move
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

I generally wouldn’t put excruciating detail into an invoice as it may promote more questions and even conjecture from the client.

I would only try to summarise your charges making it clear what you are charging them for. If they request more detail than it can be provided but this usually only occurs if there is disagreement with the price.

Richard Darcy
    Darcy Bookkeeping & Business Services

P: 1300 728 875
    M: 0431 629 144
    E: [email protected]
    W: http://www.darcyservices.com.au

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

I just wish there were a “standard” for invoices, regardless of issuer, or recipient.

My current role sees me helping entering invoices from many and sundry contractors etc for work done.

After that, we scan the original paper invoice to PDF, and then save it according to [industry removed] etc.

If all invoices were “standardised” (layout wise, ie: invoice number, invoice date, description (multiple lines yes), gst amount, discount for terms, total….. I’m sure you get the drift) it would make it so much easier to set up some sort of automated process that would enable document management of these invoices.

Say… XML? A digital file, sent from one business to another…. with provision to print, if really necessary…. :)

Ultimately leading to automated update of accounting software etc, and less staff time to process….

But everyone wants (or uses) layouts provided by their own accounting software (logos etc) to promote themselves – just because they can – and sends a paper copy.

Grrrr. A pet peeve.

Whatever happened to the supposed “paperless” office? Why can’t we get over ourselves and provide a standardised format that everyone can use to issue, and everyone can process, to store somewhere (and ultimately pay?)

Whatever happened to the promised B2B software that would make paper invoices redundant? Yes, that’s right – no clear agreed upon standard between software manufacturers and software users.

If a job has been performed adequately, and both parties agree on the final invoice amount, I see no good reason why that invoice can’t be processed automatically between two systems? A la XML, or some other well-defined format.

Sorry @happygirl – off topic from your original question (and I apologise), but I really thought it warranted a bigger “world” view, because the time taken for me to help with processing paper invoices in my current role is exorbitant, and this thread really caught my eye, because its not just how you present your invoice to your customer, its also about how your customer processes your invoice. :)

And ultimately, how you get paid.

Something like this:
    http://test.b2blearningcenter.com/guideorder/guide-basic-order6.html

Or even this:

http://mthink.com/content/state-b2b-invoicing-solutions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.