Home – New Forums Tech talk Time to panic again?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    ::

Another Super Virus has been uncovered on government computers in the Middle East.

Doubtless it will make its way around the world as these things do, and doubtless there will be lots of column inches written by hacks looking to generate a little gentle hysteria amongst the ignorant and increase their advertising revenue.

Quick aside, spell checker doesn’t like “amongst”…how odd.

Anyway, it’s another timely reminder for us all to make sure that we have up to date firewall and virus software on our computers.

There are plenty of free ones available. I use Comodo Internet Security and have done for a few years.

If you don’t have one, GET ONE.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

I concur with uncomplicated – for most people, antivirus is essential.

I’ll continue to treat my computer like it’s a game of roulette though.. :)

thre thing about Stuxnet though is, it was actually a fairly well crafted application, and it had a specific purpose and target…. which was systems using only SCADA controls.. this is almost exclusively used in big-end enterprise like the nuclear facilities..

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

There’s quite an interesting read about it here:
    http://www.securelist.com/en/blog/208193522/The_Flame_Questions_and_Answers

and I’ve learnt a new phrase.
    “0-day” : a computer threat that tries to exploit computer application vulnerabilities that are unknown to others or the software developer.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 117830 wrote:
    There’s quite an interesting read about it here:
    http://www.securelist.com/en/blog/208193522/The_Flame_Questions_and_Answers

and I’ve learnt a new phrase.
    “0-day” : a computer threat that tries to exploit computer application vulnerabilities that are unknown to others or the software developer.

0-day actually refers to software that may be found on… “trial” download sites, prior to the day te vendor actually releases it, or on the day..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.