Home Forums Get productive Tip for those wanting a paperless office!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    IgniteDM
    • Total posts: 99
    Up

Hi All

I just thought Id share the system I use at work in case it makes someone else’s life that bit easier !

Rather than keeping all the paper copies of everything… this is my system

1) Invoice comes in either hard or soft copy
    2) Soft copy gets printed and put with the ‘invoices to pay’ pile
    3) Once invoice has been paid, its stamped with the relevant info

and then comes the fun bit :)

I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap Scanner and Mariner Paperless Software (For MAC Only)

I scan the invoices straight into Paperless. The scanner has the OCR functionality which is the character recognition. It prefills out some of the details from the invoice into a box, anything that’s incorrect or it misses, I just fill in.

It saves the copy of the invoice along with the relevant details, like date, amount, gst and a category.

When it comes time to do the BAS, I just export a csv file of the relevant dates and hey presto, I have all the details necessary for my accountant. And I never have to worry about storing/filing or receipts that fade.

The scanner isnt cheap – around $600-$700 depending on where you buy it. The Paperless software is less than $100 and it pays for itself in the first few days. It has an Itunes’ish interface and makes it so easy to use.

**disclaimer: I have no financial vested interested in either of these products – Im simply sharing my experience! Our company can sell you a scanner if you are on the Sunshine Coast, otherwise jump online and find a reseller. Paperless can be purchased and downloaded through the website

There are plenty of similar scanners on the market… but from personal experience, I love this one as its super fast, does auto double sided or colour, and can take huge documents with no trouble. Can also handle small receipts (like BL00dy fuel dockets!) no trouble. We have had another scanner like this for a few years and never had any trouble with it – its still going strong.

I think there may be a few options like this for PC, but Ive certainly not come across something as good as Paperless – shame its only for Mac !

Hope this helps :o)

Cheers
    Tara

RapidEntryBiz
    • Total posts: 134
    Up

Hi Everyone,

Good News, there IS a product out there for windows and its very cheap – free even, yes its free!

I recently came across a tweet from that fantastic marketing guy, Tim the Ideas Guy, about Evernote (Evernote.com).
    Please note I dont have any financial interest in this product, in fact I’m still researching it!

Its a cloud based, free, paperless system. You’ll need a scanner such as the Fujitsu mentioned in Tara’s article but I would buy a clone, much cheaper. As I said I’ve done a bit of research on the topic, happy to share with anyone who’s interested….

Dianne
    Rapid Entry Business Services
    ph 0427 117437
    rapidentry@iprimus.com.au

OneArmedGraphics
    • Total posts: 314
    Up

Came across Evernore last month. Great app with desktop & smartphone clients, plugins to ‘clip’ bits of webpages or whatever.

My tip for scanning receipts & stuff is save it a cloud storage app like DropBox or Microsofts LiveMesh. That way when your computer blows a cog you’ll not all those important scans.

IgniteDM
    Up
    OneArmedGraphics, post: 57091 wrote:
    My tip for scanning receipts & stuff is save it a cloud storage app like DropBox or Microsofts LiveMesh. That way when your computer blows a cog you’ll not all those important scans.

Or just have a very robust backup solution :) I use time machine for my backups, plus keep an off site copy as well. No such thing as too many backups!

I think the good thing about Paperless that I forgot to mention is that because the scanner/software work together and the scanner has OCR – all the text in the receipts etc is searchable.

So when I want to go back and find a particular invoice, and I cant remember what company it was etc, I can throw in other words that I know were on the invoice and it will still come up with them.

Evernote is also very cool – but I doubt it could export all your figures into a spreadsheet at the click of a button ! :)

mark_xpnsit
    • Total posts: 140
    Up

I’m going to take a look at paperless to see what is can do, but I like the concept – saving paper and time! a true paperless office maybe a little way off but we can do everything to reduce it I believe.

Ryan@auteched
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Hi,

I think the new Office 365 would be the best paperless office.
    Microsoft Office 365 delivers the power of cloud productivity to businesses of all sizes, helping to save time and money and free up valuable resources.
    Check this link out

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Microsoft Australia Online Support Team
    Follow our support channel on twitter @auteched
    Find free support for Small businesses

RapidEntryBiz
    Up

Hi everyone,
    Microsoft 365 costs $6 per month minimum and Dropbox is free at 2gb which is good for home use or sharing photos from a holdiay, as its website says, but starts costing after that.
    I can get a Fujitsu scanner for AUD$517 ex New Zealand. Costs only USD$299 in the states but I havent found an outlet that’ll supply Australia, Amazon won’t.
    Evernote is free so its ahead on points.
    Has anyone had experience with Redmap? Any comments on cost and workability would be appreciated.

IgniteDM
    Up

If you want the Fujitsu Scanner… Harris Technology sell them
    http://www.ht.com.au/part/X2706-Fujitsu-ScanSnap-S1500M-document-scanner/detail.hts

Or some random crew called Velvet Systems ?
    http://www.velvetsystems.com.au/Fujitsu.ScanSnap.S1500M.Document.Scanner.cfm

Although be ware.. the S1500M is for Mac ONLY and the S1500 is for PC. The PC version is black and Mac version is white

:o)

IT Advocate
    • Total posts: 195
    Up
    Ryan@auteched, post: 57171 wrote:
    Hi,

I think the new Office 365 would be the best paperless office.
    Microsoft Office 365 delivers the power of cloud productivity to businesses of all sizes, helping to save time and money and free up valuable resources.
    Check this link out

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Microsoft Australia Online Support Team
    Follow our support channel on twitter @auteched
    Find free support for Small businesses

Ive just signed up for the MS Office 365 beta, hopefully I get selected, then I can let you know my thoughts on this service. From what I can see on the site, it looks good!

Ryan, Can you get me a spot in the beta?

RapidEntryBiz
    Up

For both of these suppliers the cost is up around $699 – best value is still buying from NZ (at these good exchange rates) The one I looked at was http://www.nzcomputersales.co.nz. At$517, still Exy and probably only for the dedicated if they cant match the excellent $299 from the states.

Anyone with any hands-on experience with Redmap I would urgently appreciate your feedback.

thanks,
    Dianne

RapidEntryBiz
    Up

Fujitsu Scan Snap scanner:
    Best price so far is from http://www.scannersrus.com.au $499.

Does anyone know why I cant buy direct from the USA?

thanks
    Dianne

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.