Home Forums Get productive Tips on Expanding by Taking on Other Contractors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ShaniW
    • Total posts: 32

Hi fellow Soloists,
    Like all of you, I run my own business and have recently pivoted from life coaching to digital marketing and business support/consulting. I haven’t even updated my website/social media platforms to reflect this change and am already inundated with work. As someone who knows that work ebbs and flows in the small business space, I’d like to capitalise on it while it’s here!

To do that I’m contemplating engaging at least one other freelancer who can assist me with the overflow when everything is going fantastically.

I have a couple of queries and I’m hoping that I can benefit from the experience of others in terms of how I approach this. I’m fine as far as the benefits and pitfalls of hiring freelancers – what I’d really like to know is this: If you’ve grown your business to the stage where you’ve taken on other people to cope in times when work is plentiful, how did you let your clients know someone else would be joining the team and how did you decide how to apportion the work?

This is the part that I’m getting stuck on. I have a few casual copywriting jobs and it looks as though I’ll have quite a bit of social media work coming in as well, but up until now it’s been just me. I can engage someone to schedule the social media posts, but when it comes to actually doing the writing, etc., how do I let my clients know someone else may be involved without a loss of faith on their part?

I’d be most thankful for any experiences of advice you can share so that I don’t muck it up before I even start with other employees.

Shân

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485

If they are new clients, when you are discussing it with them just elude to the fact it could be anyone of your team who could be handling the job, but that it is done to your standards and under a level of supervision. Maybe only let your freelancers loose on new clients, that way there is no issue about loss of faith.

ShaniW
    • Total posts: 32

Thanks Bert!
    I was definitely thinking of taking this approach with new clients. In fact, I was going to trial new team members on my own business before giving them the responsibility of dealing with that of clients. It’s valuable advice, which I appreciate.

I think part of my issue is time management as well. I’ve yet to revamp my website to reflect the changes in my business, except to say that I’m offering social media and consulting services, but am so pushed for time that I’m now finding it hard to do. I want my brand to be professional and my site/social media platforms to be representative of my business, which involves ensuring people know that the business is a team of people working to help them reach their goals, but I find that difficult to convey without the structure of a website and social media to back me up.

In writing the above, I think you’ve given me the opportunity to get clear on what I need to do. Utilise my time more efficiently, write the copy and gather images for the site revamp and outsource it, so that I can indeed take that approach with new clients so that I can grow the business instead of being snowed under with work.

I foresee a planning day in my future to schedule all of the above.
    Thanks for your advice and the opportunity to respond, and clarify my position in the process!

Shân

PowerofWords
    • Total posts: 179

Hi Shan,
    Sounds like a great time in business for you. I am a book publisher but I also have eight years of experience in website copywriting. Sometimes I write for other marketing consultants and most send me a brief. I will ask questions, write the copy, and then they will check it and send it to the client. The client knows that the professional runs an agency, so maybe your website copy could reflect this bigger scope.
    Please send me a message if you want to discuss.

FreeBeer
    • Total posts: 20

How about choosing really good associates, and then selling it as a positive thing rather than a negative?

“I have access to this BRILLIANT (whatever), they’ll do a far better job of (whatever) than I ever could, and for almost no additional cost! Aren’t you lucky?!

;)

RQ
    • Total posts: 29

Very good peice of advice from you guys.
    Thank you very much

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.