Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Tips on getting more leads from my website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    ::

My Google Analytics shows that my website has a bounce rate of 22%, which judging by my research is considered to be very good. However, I am not getting much in the way of leads. Any tips on how to change this?

Thanks in advance.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Correct me if im wrong but couldnt part of that 22 % of visits include spiders crawling your site?

Steve

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

My initial take is that your ‘call to action’ is basically invisible. The blue ‘Enquire’ text is almost invisible on the page. I’d add a big ‘enquire now’ or ‘make contact’ button in a stand out color (maybe orange) under ’24 hour turnaround’, and wider than the ’24 hour turnaround’ text – the ‘call to action’ should really stick out.

Here’s a free generator for nice buttons.

tonyk
    Up
    adrian_gray, post: 122886 wrote:
    My initial take is that your ‘call to action’ is basically invisible. The blue ‘Enquire’ text is almost invisible on the page. I’d add a big ‘enquire now’ or ‘make contact’ button in a stand out color (maybe orange) under ’24 hour turnaround’, and wider than the ’24 hour turnaround’ text – the ‘call to action’ should really stick out.

Here’s a free generator for nice buttons.

I didn’t really consider that an issue considering there’s a clearly visible contact section at the top of the page with multiple ways of contacting me.

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up
    tonyk, post: 122876 wrote:
    My Google Analytics shows that my website has a bounce rate of 22%, which judging by my research is considered to be very good. However, I am not getting much in the way of leads. Any tips on how to change this?

Thanks in advance.

Hey there, you should post in the reviews section to get more responses…

From a design perspective, even though you’ve got a neatly presented website, it’s very boring from a design sense…

I know that proof-reading is all about words, but you need to find a way to make it look a bit more exciting than it does now… Add some more pictures to the pages so that it doesn’t just look like page after page of text.

This is especially important on the home page, which needs to scream “Proof-reading is awesome and will make me more money!” or something like that. At the moment it’s not really screaming anything.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

How are people arriving at your site? It’s possible, for example, that people are arriving on your site as a result of searching for “what does a proofreader do”, in which case they spend some time on your site finding out in order to prepare for a career change, or to write a student paper etc, but they never had any intention of buying your services in the first place. You would need to check your analytics further to work out whether this is the case.

On a side note, a high bounce rate is not necessarily a bad thing, depending on your industry. I’ve found that the people who spend the least amount of time on my site are often the most likely to engage my services. They have an urgent problem, land on my site, see it’s relevant and then call to make a booking… what do I care if Google thinks they bounced off my site too quickly?

Inversely a low bounce rate is not necessarily a good thing – if people need to look over every last word on your site, perhaps your message isn’t clear enough (not saying that’s the case for you, but something to keep in mind).

Cheers,
    John

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

The thing that struck me was that by far the most prominent feature of your offering is speed of delivery.

I think this could (even subconsciously) be a turn off for customers who have accuracy and thoroughness as the most important requirements for proof reading. Even if they are up against a deadline the whole point of proofreading is still accuracy. You are trying to sell efficiency but there is a danger that this could be misinterpreted as a rush job.

I want my proof reader to be detailed, pedantic, methodical and thorough not quick.

Of course there will always be customers that have left it to the last minute and want a quick turn around. Offer them a ‘priority’ service which implies queue jumping rather than doing the job quickly.

This may not make the slightest difference to the number of leads generated for you but it was what struck me about your site.

tonyk
    Up
    onsiteTECHS, post: 122917 wrote:
    How are people arriving at your site? It’s possible, for example, that people are arriving on your site as a result of searching for “what does a proofreader do”, in which case they spend some time on your site finding out in order to prepare for a career change, or to write a student paper etc, but they never had any intention of buying your services in the first place. You would need to check your analytics further to work out whether this is the case.

On a side note, a high bounce rate is not necessarily a bad thing, depending on your industry. I’ve found that the people who spend the least amount of time on my site are often the most likely to engage my services. They have an urgent problem, land on my site, see it’s relevant and then call to make a booking… what do I care if Google thinks they bounced off my site too quickly?

Inversely a low bounce rate is not necessarily a good thing – if people need to look over every last word on your site, perhaps your message isn’t clear enough (not saying that’s the case for you, but something to keep in mind).

Cheers,
    John

Proofreading and proofreading services are the popular searches. I am ranked 8th overall in Google for proofreading, and 12th for proofreading services.

tonyk
    Up
    Steve_Minshall, post: 122918 wrote:
    The thing that struck me was that by far the most prominent feature of your offering is speed of delivery.

I think this could (even subconsciously) be a turn off for customers who have accuracy and thoroughness as the most important requirements for proof reading. Even if they are up against a deadline the whole point of proofreading is still accuracy. You are trying to sell efficiency but there is a danger that this could be misinterpreted as a rush job.

I want my proof reader to be detailed, pedantic, methodical and thorough not quick.

Of course there will always be customers that have left it to the last minute and want a quick turn around. Offer them a ‘priority’ service which implies queue jumping rather than doing the job quickly.

This may not make the slightest difference to the number of leads generated for you but it was what struck me about your site.

Good point regarding the 24-hour turnaround thing. Something to mull over.

NeilM
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi Tony

I agree with the need for an image and think it’s possible that the 24 hour turn-around is a turn-off (am not sure though so – would recommend you ask your customers about that one and/or test the copy).

Another possible solution to your problem is to ask: “What is keeping your prospects awake at night?” and play to that fear on your homepage.

So reading your “Why You Need a Proofreader” page, it sounds like you believe the biggest benefit of your service to be the potential loss of client through a perceived lack of care.

I think you should try to encapsulate that idea into a slogan or bi-line and put that front and centre on your home page.

Something like: “Because You only get One Chance to Make a Positive First Impression”

or

“Don’t Take Chances with Your Business Image”

I did a quick Google search for proof reading (try non-competing cities eg New York, LA, London). One of the first I saw from a company that came up in my New York search provided an example of the slogan idea I’m talking about:

Success on Every
    Document, Every Time

http://www.eliteediting.com/default.aspx

I note that they see 24/7 service as a benefit.

The other thing you might consider doing in order to engage the readers more is to place the sentence riddled with errors that you mention on the “Why You Need a Proofreader” page straight under the slogan with the sub-heading: Can you spot the errors in this sentence? (at present – that sentence is completely lost in the existing text). Then go on to exploit the interest element by explaining:

1) that this sentence actually passed through a traditionally spell check

2) and the impact of such errors on the potential client (ie your existing copy).

Neil M

Gavin_S
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

Hi Tony,
    There’s already been some great suggestions made here, and without re-hashing them I have to say I agree with almost all of them!
    The other lead capture tool I would suggest is one of my own (sorry to use this thread to post my own offering, but I think it’s relevant) – we have a web chat program called “assistro” that initiates a pro-active chat with your website visitors. It’s a great way to engage your website visitors in conversation to discover their needs, and capture the lead so you can follow up with a phone call if needed. There is a free version available that might suit your needs.
    The website is http://www.assistro.com
    Good luck!

Gavin

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    Gavin_S, post: 122971 wrote:
    Hi Tony,
    There’s already been some great suggestions made here, and without re-hashing them I have to say I agree with almost all of them!
    The other lead capture tool I would suggest is one of my own (sorry to use this thread to post my own offering, but I think it’s relevant) – we have a web chat program called “assistro” that initiates a pro-active chat with your website visitors. It’s a great way to engage your website visitors in conversation to discover their needs, and capture the lead so you can follow up with a phone call if needed. There is a free version available that might suit your needs.
    The website is http://www.assistro.com
    Good luck!

Gavin

I use a live chat service. Sadly only about 0.2% of people use it. I know another member here who gets the same sort of result, so i am unsold of its value as a conversion tool.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

I’m not a fan of the chat thing either. I was on the Adobe site the other day. They have no forms you can fill out and you can’t email them. You either chat with them when they’re online or you pick up the phone and ring them. Wasn’t happy with either choice. I’d prefer to email or fill out a form at the hours that suit me. My impression of what I thought was a good company is that it’s now gotten too big for its boots and doesn’t care about the average customer. But that’s another issue.

I just don’t like the chat thing.

Gavin_S
    Up
    King, post: 123197 wrote:
    I use a live chat service. Sadly only about 0.2% of people use it. I know another member here who gets the same sort of result, so i am unsold of its value as a conversion tool.

Hi King,
    I see you’re using Livezilla – theirs is a bit different to assistro. Ours works on proactive messaging, so the user engagement should be higher that the version you’re currently using.
    If you want to try our version (as an experiment to see if you get higher than 0.2% of visitors using it) let me know and I’ll put some free credit on your account.
    Cheers,

Gavin

Gavin_S
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 123201 wrote:
    I’m not a fan of the chat thing either. I was on the Adobe site the other day. They have no forms you can fill out and you can’t email them. You either chat with them when they’re online or you pick up the phone and ring them. Wasn’t happy with either choice. I’d prefer to email or fill out a form at the hours that suit me. My impression of what I thought was a good company is that it’s now gotten too big for its boots and doesn’t care about the average customer. But that’s another issue.

I just don’t like the chat thing.

Hi Kathie,
    I haven’t heard of Adobe using live chat in that way – it’s not a method I would ever recommend. People still need the ability to email or phone you, live chat is a useful tool for web visitors who may have initial questions they need answered before picking up the phone to call you. Like any other tool, there are different ways of using it. We suggest it’s used for improved customer service and lead capture.
    It’s interesting that you see live chat as an example of a company not caring about its customer? I see it as a company offering superior and immediate customer service – rather than the usual 24-48hrs it can take to get an email response.
    It’s not for everyone, but it’s certainly a tool that I benefit from having it on my websites.
    Regards,

Gavin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.