Home – New Forums Starting your journey To quit or not to quit?!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    AlanaC
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I’ve read a few threads relating to this sort of question but wanted a response for my own personal situation.

I’m starting up a swimwear business but currently work full time at a job i have no interest in whatsoever! (door hardware..woohoo) Whenever i’m at work all i can think about is designs, packaging ideas,advertising etc and i can’t concentrate on my job! It’s making me really drained and unfulfilled. My position however cannot be part time.

I haven’t yet started selling my product but i’m a perfectionist and i really dont believe i will have everything perfect and ready to sell until i can put all my time into it. I race motocross on the weekends and afternoons are filled with part time graphic design. So it’s really hard to find the time!

I have some savings (around 8k) and my partner would be able to cover living costs but I also don’t want to put strain on his income.

DO I TAKE THE LEAP?! Positives, negatives?

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

There’s never really a “perfect time” when all of your house is in order. Subconciously you’ll always be like “I can’t do it just yet because the MotoX race is coming up” or some such…

For me when I decided to commit to my big project I basically realised that if I didn’t that I would hate myself forever for not having the guts to give it everything I could (even if that meant failure).

Tony Robbins referred to something in a seminar of his I attended which is caled “Burning the Boats”. Basically it means that you commit to the task even if it feels scary, and then burn the boats to ensure you can’t back out or retreat with some kind of plan B. This basically ensures you do absolutely EVERYTHING to succeed because everything literaly depends on it.

It’s an extreme view but it’s something which I’ve applied many times and it’s been a great thing.

To be honest when you said you don’t have time because you race motox etc, to me it sounds like it’s not a huge priority for you, even if you say you hate your current job. If it was that bad it would be a higher priority, and you’d find a way to make the time, or something else would get pushed down the priority list to make way for it.

So at the end of the day, you just have to decide what you would rather be. Are you content to work for someone else, or will it make you miserable to the point where you should go out on your own? There’s no right or wrong answer, or shame in either answer. The world needs worker bees, but the point is you just have to decide.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Decide – Commit and Stick to it

I make it sound easy – it will not be easy but if you can stick it out, being self employed is very worthwhile.

Ask for help and make sure you have your partners support. A few things part time will always be a struggle.

Commit to the one dream or passion you have and jump in with two feet first and both eyes open.

As said above there is never a perfect time.

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

There was once a boy who wanted to seek the secret of success. One day he approached a wise man living up in the mountain. When he found the wise man at the hut, he asked, “Wise man, can you tell me the secret to becoming successful in life?” The wise man was silent for a while. After a moment of silence, the wise man led the young lad to a nearby river. They kept walking into the river until the boy’s head was fully submerged in the water. The boy struggled to keep his head above the water. To his astonishment, the wise man did not help him. Instead, the wise man held the boy’s head in the water.

After a few minutes the wise man pulled the boy out of the water and they proceeded to walk back to the hut. At the hut the wise man asked the young boy what he desired most when his head was submerged in water. To this the young boy quickly responded, “Of course, I wanted to breathe, you old fool!” To which the wise man replied, “Son, if you desire success as much as you wanted to breathe, then you would have found the true secret of success.”

SUCCESS PRINCIPLES

Success is a matter of choice. If we have enough strong reasons, there is nothing that we cannot do. Once we have the reasons to do something, we will surely find the ways to do it. A mere wish would not make things happen. It is a burning desire, turned into an obsession that will generate the energy to bring you to achieve any goal that you may desire.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Sorry I am going to be blunt, so some people wont like it.

DONT do it.

Why – Your question gives heaps of excuses why you havent done it, to me that just shows that you are not ready to do it, and will not commit.

If you have so many reasons for not doing it, DONT do it. You WILL fail, stay with your current arrangement,

We have all given up things to get where we are. Why can’t your part time graphic design supplement, or give that up and keep your day job. thats already 2 options. Do you need motocross, whats more important.

DONT do it.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

This is kind of what I was thinking, just with more inyourface-ness…

affgar
    • Total posts: 123
    Up

I understand what people are saying & I agree…..

Though … there is no point going through the motions living a boring shallow life … for what. To live on the debt treadmill? To buy things you don’t need?

However … the industry you are wanting to get into is hard … harder than hard.
    Do you want to design & get stuff made in china?
    That is where you get the margins from …

You may be able to make a little money & grow gradually with minimal risk … you will be sacrificing your quality of life (at first at least).

Running your own business is not pretty. It takes hard work, extreme dedication. You will face desperation when you think you are a failures door.

If you are serious about taking a step ….

Start with a business plan. Get your ideas & your methodology down on paper & in visual form.

Give your ideas a chance to manifest. Understand whether success is possible. If it is possible then visualize your goals & direction.

There will be more people telling you your ideas won’t work & the negatives than people telling you to follow your dreams.

Good luck! :)

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up
    AlanaC, post: 187433 wrote:
    I’m starting up a swimwear business but currently work full time at a job i have no interest in whatsoever! (door hardware..woohoo) Whenever i’m at work all i can think about is designs, packaging ideas,advertising etc and i can’t concentrate on my job! It’s making me really drained and unfulfilled. My position however cannot be part time.

I’m going to go with a mix of the above responses.

DO BOTH

You’re working full time in a door hardware job? I’m getting the picture of a retail/showroom floor where you show someone a brochure and tell them why they should buy the expensive one rather than the one that looks a little uglier?

There’s a great quote from the Facebook movie when the twins lawyer asks Mark if he has his full attention, his (somewhat cutdown) response is:

“You have part of my attention – you have the minimum amount. The rest of my attention is back at the offices of Facebook, where my colleagues and I are doing things that no one in this room, including and especially your clients, are intellectually or creatively capable of doing.”

You’re earning income from that job, you can likely spend time thinking about your own dreams and then put that towards your own business. Quit, and you’ll burn through your cash and a business won’t run on hopes and dreams..

When you get home, suck it up and keep working, it’s what we all do. I work a full time job in front of a computer, I get home, jump on the computer and print out orders and postage slips, send my girlfriend to the post office box (because I’m in a leg cast) and I continue to work on a computer either building websites or trawling through eBay for new products to sell, or writing/perfecting eBay listings. All in all, 15 hour days are not uncommon. Hell yeah I feel drained!

My recommendation is to get started. Start a scrapbook or send a few emails. Anything that makes you feel like you’re actually accomplishing something will make you enthusiastic even when you’re tired.

There’s probably some poor grammar in there, I was up at 7 responding to questions about products on eBay and I’ve been in front of a computer ever since!

Suck it up and do it man..

Qinnie(OzFairTrade)
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

I work full time and singlehandedly manage a startup charity/business. I think the best thing I did was not quiting my full time job. Starting a business is hard, and it will be even harder and more stressful without financial stability. It could put considerable strain on your relationship, even though your partner agreed to support you.

I have been running my charity for more than 12 months now, and it’s still not generating enough income, so I will still keep my day job to pay bills. I don’t have kids, so I use all my free time to work on the business. If you are passionate enough about something, you will find time.

There’s no right or wrong approach here. It’s whatever suits you. If you can handle stress really well, then “burn the boat” approach would be right for you. If you are like me who can’t handle stress really well, then keep your day job and work on the business after work. You’ll find that many people are doing that nowadays. If you are passionate about your business, then it wouldn’t feel like work at all.

Good luck!

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

You’re earning income from that job, you can likely spend time thinking about your own dreams and then put that towards your own business.

Just a question.

You’re suggesting they should be spending time to develop their plans on someone else’s dime?

Hatching_It
    Up
    Johny, post: 187621 wrote:
    Just a question.

You’re suggesting they should be spending time to develop their plans on someone else’s dime?

If he’s working a full day he’s got up to an hour and a half worth of breaks to take.

I’m not suggesting to sit at the counter during their shift drawing up designs or sending out emails but if you can meet (or exceed) the requirements of your position without using 100% of your capacity then sure, use the rest of it thinking about your own things.

Eg: Customer comes in to buy some doorknobs, notice their shirt has a cool design element, help the customer, sell some door knobs, put through the required docs, floor room is clean, paperwork is all done.. Damn straight work around with a featherduster and think about how that design will look on some boardshorts.

Johny
    Up

Damn straight work around with a featherduster and think about how that design will look on some boardshorts.

Fair enough.

I guess I just had more respect for the guy who was paying me a salary every week. Living in the past I suppose.

Hatching_It
    Up
    Johny, post: 187778 wrote:
    Fair enough.

I guess I just had more respect for the guy who was paying me a salary every week. Living in the past I suppose.

Was that a position in the media? You’re very good at selecting quotes to suit your argument when the whole post has a totally different angle.

Like I said, there’s a right way and a wrong way. If the position is as I described with little to no chance of extra remuneration or career pathway.

What’s worse? Someone exceeding what is expected/required of them in a position (remember in my example they had already completed everything and likely now doing extra work that’s around, like cleaning) and thinking about themselves where they can. Or someone stuck in a job they don’t want to be doing and ignoring their hopes and dreams because they’re time poor?

Every entrepreneur works for someone to start off with. If they don’t have the understanding if one of their staff want to do the same thing I just think that’s hypocritical (and since you raised it, disrespectful) and even worse, possibly stopping some really smart people from doing some really great things.

Johny
    Up

Going of topic now, but the original poster hasn’t come back so I’ll go with it.

Was that a position in the media? You’re very good at selecting quotes to suit your argument when the whole post has a totally different angle.

Can you cite some examples please? Must be several if it is so clear.

But OK, lets quote the full paragraph.

Eg: Customer comes in to buy some doorknobs, notice their shirt has a cool design element, help the customer, sell some door knobs, put through the required docs, floor room is clean, paperwork is all done.. Damn straight work around with a featherduster and think about how that design will look on some boardshorts.

Mine is the same answer. Quote was only shortened because that was the relevant part I was addressing. Adding the rest doesn’t make any difference to the meaning.

If you are in a sales job, there is no “finished doing everything”. Real sales people are out looking for other opportunities. Fake salesmen are sitting on their backside whinging they have nothing to do.

In your example, anyone contemplating going into business who thinks “all the work can be finished” is probably not suited to going into business. Probably a good reason so many businesses fail?

Like I said, there’s a right way and a wrong way. If the position is as I described with little to no chance of extra remuneration or career pathway.

Not happy with your job position, then you have 2 choices:-

1. Talk to management about other opportunities within the company and where you can or may be able to do something extra or maybe the company will pay for some sales training etc.

2.If you don’t like your job then Quit. You don’t use your boredom as an excuse to “steal” time from your employer to work on your exit strategy.

I am not advocating being a slave to the company. I am a strong believer in the need for give and take. But that works both ways, and while many companies are strong on the take only side, the same can be said for many employees. Been there.

But for me there is a big difference between general give and take, compared to an employee spending paid time planning their departure from the company that’s paying them. Do that on your own time.

What’s worse? Someone exceeding what is expected/required of them in a position (remember in my example they had already completed everything and likely now doing extra work that’s around, like cleaning) and thinking about themselves where they can. QUOTE]

Already answered that part. Everything is NEVER completed. Look for other opportunities, help colleagues, do some learning. Why? Because that’s how we get better results, that’s teamwork and that’s how we improve ourselves.

In your new business aren’t you trying to sell stuff. When can you sit down and say you have done everything you can? I don’t know about you, but my answer is NEVER. Why is that any different whether you are employed or self employed. Or is it that we shouldn’t care as much when employed because that weekly pay cheque will be there regardless.

Or someone stuck in a job they don’t want to be doing and ignoring their hopes and dreams because they’re time poor?

Sorry, I had to split the quote. Is that OK? Just want to emphasise this part.

Everyone has a choice. If you are not happy in your job, then do something to improve it, find another job or leave and start your own business.

If that means having to take a risk, then so be it. That’s life.

Every entrepreneur works for someone to start off with. If they don’t have the understanding if one of their staff want to do the same thing I just think that’s hypocritical (and since you raised it, disrespectful) and even worse, possibly stopping some really smart people from doing some really great things.

Who said entrepeneurs/employers don’t understand that. I didn’t. I also never said that people were being stopped from doing what they want. Big difference between doing what you want, and doing what you want, but expecting to do it while being paid to be doing something else, which is what you are advocating.

One thing I do know about real entrepeneurs though, they wouldn’t be citing weekend leisure activities as a reason for not being able to get their business going. That comment is not meant with any disrespect to the original poster, but I think is true in the context of what we are talking about. Interesting you never commented on that.

These days anyone who starts a business calls themselves an entrepreneur. Doesn’t have the same ring to it that it once did, but sounds more precious than small business owner doesn’t it.

But I also find it interesting you quoted this:-

“You have part of my attention – you have the minimum amount. The rest of my attention is back at the offices of Facebook, where my colleagues and I are doing things that no one in this room, including and especially your clients, are intellectually or creatively capable of doing.”

Your comments were in relation to the original posters employment, then you cited this quote. The quote relates to a lawyer talking to someone, not an employer talking to an employee. What is the relevance?

If you were in the position of the lawyer, and you had an employee who said they weren’t paying attention because they were focusing on their own business, what would you do?

Better yet, I’d be interested to hear what anyone else would say if they had an employee who openly told them that they weren’t paying attention, because they were focusing on their other job.

Hatching_It
    Up

No disrespect, but I think you need to look up the meaning of entrepreneurship. Anyone that starts something is an entrepreneur. Some people think it’s a sexy word for someone that creates something amazing. Nope.. most entrepreneur’s fail – multiple times.

I read a post on LinkedIn recently (I can’t find the link) but it was from a small business owner who had an amazing view towards one of her employees leaving. She was sad to see them go but happy that they were able to be more fulfilled and rewarded elsewhere. That woman is pretty much my hero.

I have my aspirations and business goals but I will never ask someone to give up their whole life for my business if they don’t want to. Nothing would make me happier than if I had someone working in a warehouse picking and packing orders and one day they came to me to say “Hey Maclean, remember how we were chatting at lunch about how I’ve just finished my design degree? I’ve been doing some freelancing and now I’m ready to go it alone”. If they kept working part time for me and their standards dropped, they’d get spoken to, but if they continue to do their job satisfactorily then I don’t care if they’re thinking about designs as well, I like to think I could even mentor them.

My reply will be “GOOD ON YOU” and I’ll probably even buy them a parting gift.

Maybe I just live in fairy land, maybe my business will fail… Maybe it won’t ;) (Hint: It won’t)

Signing off because we’ve both got our opinion, they won’t be swayed and I need to finish a proposal. For what it’s worth, in my full time employment the only time I’m thinking about my own business is when my phone goes ‘ca-ching’ indicating a sale. I smile to myself and keep working.

Edit: The Facebook thing was saying that people can certainly complete tasks and work well within their normal capacity. Lawyers, Facebook and Jesse Eisenberg’s hairdo had nothing to do with my point.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.