Home – New Forums Face-to-face meetups & events Too much networking?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    4N_Man
    • Total posts: 122
    Up
    ::

I’m not sure about other cities but Sydney folk could network several times a day, everyday if they wanted because there are so many great networking opportunities. For example, tomorrow (Tues 14 Aug) I’ll be attending the launch of the 4Networking North Sydney group in the morning then later that evening I can choose between the ANZ small Biz Hub or Sydney Biz Connection meetings, there may even be others on as well.

So how much is enough and why network across groups? I think one of the most mis-understood aspects of networking is that not all networking groups are equal. Some have very different purposes. For example, some;

– exclude/include on the basis of gender, profession, industry, location
    – exist primarily to promote a person/company (usually the ‘free’ ones)
    – are more about the speaker than networking eg 50 talking head with 10min either side ‘networking’
    – are a bit of lunchtime treat
    – are more fun focused than business focused eg ‘speed’ networking

Does this mean some are right and some are wrong? No, it means you need to assess what the purpose of each event is and go along with that in mind. I run some speed networking events from time to time and they are a lot of fun and people really enjoy them but we don’t expect a lot of quality relationships or referrals to come out of it, some do but it is a low percentage. I also run a relationship based network, 4NETWORKING where people meet on a regular basis and form quality relationships based on trust. They look out for each other, support one another and refer to one another. You can’t get this from 2 min of speed networking.

So, to get the most out of networking join a network where you meet regularly with others, you’ll build some solid mutually beneficial relationships and develop your people and networking skills. When you attend ‘lite’ networking events look out for people you connect with or who are in similar industries and invite those people to your networking group. That way you get to spend more time with them, develop a trusting relationship and who knows ventures and referrals what will occur. Look to build relationships not sales – think people not $$$$, and you’ll grow your business through networking. Relax, have fun and get connected.

yoozus
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

I agree that not every event is right for each business. I network regularly and it has worked well for my business to form relationships with strategic alliances and to gain referrals.

Over the last 2 years I have been attending these events and working out which ones are work for my business and I suggest that others should do something similar.

I also found that it was hard out when and where the business networking events were held, so I have created a comprehensive guide to business networking events for the South East QLD area. If you are holding an event in this area, please let me know and I will add you to the monthly guide. For those who want to receive this guide on a monthly basis please visit http://www.yoozus.com/events for details.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.