Home – New Forums Starting your journey Top 3 Qualities of Successful Entrepreneurs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    B Cooper
    • Total posts: 211
    Up
    ::

Hey Guys,

I’d love to hear some opinions in regard to the question below:

“What would you consider to be the Top 3 Qualities of successful entrepreneurs?”

I’d have to list them as:

1. Ability to set and achieve clear and concise goals
    2. Ability to persist
    3. High levels of inspiration

Cheers!

Brentis

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Reliable
    Professional
    Visionary

Ok, they might overlap with yours. : )

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

Narcissism
    Sociopathy
    Desire

lol wait? Successful, what does that mean?

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up

Being a successful entrepreneur is sort of like being a olympic athlete.

1. Always believe in yourself
    2. Work harder than anyone else
    3. Never give up

I guess some overlap with yours :) But there sort of like universal truths for success!

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

It all depends on what your definition of success is. What’s yours Brentis?

B Cooper
    Up

Hey bluepenguin,

The dictionary definition of success is the accomplishment of an aim or purpose. So when put into business context, I’d define success as ‘achieving the goals (whether they be extraordinary or not) that one sets for their self’. (We could even go a step further and add, ‘in a efficient and effective manner’?).

My question is really just aimed at the main attributes of successful entrepreneurs. What traits are essential in achieving whatever an entrepreneur hopes to achieve.

Brentis :)

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

Well answered sir.

From my experience, 3 qualities that many successful entrepreneurs possess are:

1. They are risk takers.
    I recently read Richard Branson’s autobiography expecting to discover an incredible business mind, but it seems that he’s just a guy that’s willing to gamble everything and has been extremely lucky.
    (I know it’s deeper than that, and he does have a great business mind, but his willingness to take a risk, I think, is the major reason for his success.)

2. They are confident.

3. They think differently.

EmmaCondon
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Wow, what a nice discussion. Just want to add up.

For me, successful people are those who are patient, and doesn’t easily give up on things, even when there are some failures encountered. Successful people are not just risk takers, they are also strategic. They know what they are entering, and they plan things even though they know its risky for them and their business.

Cheers!

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Interesting answers!

I don’t think I could possibly narrow it down to three, but am enjoying seeing what everyone else is writing =)

– Jake

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

A person who doesn’t try to get it “right” but just gets it going. visionary but pragmatic. ability to influence/persuade/sell.

smcka
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

They tell me I am successful.

I’m determined
    I don’t take no for an answer
    I research, research and then research again
    I listen to myself (I deal in a business that I have a major interest in so I enjoy it more than having a job)
    I don’t listen to others telling me I can’t do it
    I ask questions from many people (but I also don’t ask questions)
    I like the Ferris Bueller comment “sometimes you just gotta say **** it” (or words to that effect, its an old movie :))
    I (try to) stay positive
    I take risks, but they are calculated and not going to loose me my house

So that’s more than 3 but I like to share

NathanB
    Participant
    • Total posts: 775
    Up

Narrowing it down to only three is tough, that being said I would say…

1. Salesmanship: Having an idea is only a fraction of being visionary. It is CRUCIAL that a soloist/entrepreneur can effectively convey their message otherwise it doomed to fail (this would cover everything from pitch/presentation right through to package).

2. Commitment: Never half heart or resort to half measures. Too often laziness, fear or failure or even fear of success can get in the way your grand plans. Don’t be afraid to go bust, don’t be afraid of an investor/buyer saying no and try to take everything in stride right until the bitter or successful end. So one is going to pick up your slack and no one is going to help you get rich for free. The day you chose to do it solo is the day you chose to be accountable for EVERYTHING.

3. Be the person plan plan to be NOW: This is something from my personal experience that was taught to me by a general manager at my former employed position. Some people have the idea that success is something that is achieved, a result (although the wealth part is definitely true) I believe a large part of the process can happen the other way around.

I decided late last year that I wanted to fly solo so I sat down and imaged the successful “future Nathan” I then worked backwards from my desires to my current position and created a pathway to that result. The very instant I completed this task I became successful. Things may not always go to plan and some times plans need to be amend or re-written, but my point is… BE the person you “plan” do be and don’t be the person “planning” to be successful.

B Cooper
    Up

Hey Nathan,

Love your third point. I might do this myself today!

Thanks for your contribution.

Brentis :)

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

I also think a successful entrepreneur knows when to stop (doing) something.

B Cooper
    Up
    Astrid, post: 90806 wrote:
    I also think a successful entrepreneur knows when to stop (doing) something.

I’ve actually been thinking about this recently in relation to a venture that I’m pursuing. I’m building a search engine for the co-founder of PayPal, and even though I’m persistant, who knows whether the concept is too outlandish. It would act as a catalyst to the developments of new businesses and technologies all over the world, and would be worth an extraordinary sum – if it works. But the question is, with an attitude that you’ll cannot fail, that you will succeed no matter what – how does one realise that what he’s attempting to achieve is simply not feasible? And therefore he should stop – as you said.

Personally, I don’t think there is a way to determine this. I don’t believe that anything is impossible. So I’m not sure how one can determine when the right time to stop is – and some may say ‘trust your inner feeling’ – but often this is wrong too.

So all I’m saying, is that I’m glad you brought that up – but I’m not sure whether anybody can ever ‘know’ that its the right time to stop. Maybe everything points to failure, so it seems quitting would be the best option – but success may just be over the next hill..? :)

Brentis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.