Home – New Forums Other discussions Totally Exhausted…

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #984813
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::

    Ok,

    i cant believe its 9:13am on a saturday morning and i am exhausted already.. WTF! i cant figure out what is wrong.. all i have done is gone to a polling office to do an absentee vote,,,

    OH WAIT A MINUTE… that is why.. i just spent 45 minutes with a man who i felt wanted to be my friend more than someone wanting to advise me how to vote.. :( really, man all i wanted to do was a hit and run.. not explain who i am, where i live, why i am not in y electorate and the likes.. oh boy,, our political process really needs some vast improvements – AND QUICK!

    Sorry, not a political rant at all.. just the process is unruly.. wouldnt it be nice if we could vote ‘online’?

    Cheers and happy voting
    Jason ;)

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1149734
    Osmond Mcleod
    Member
    • Total posts: 134
    Up
    0
    ::

    I dont see why you can do your tax online, but not vote. if its ok for our tax, surely we can have a voting system as well.

    I do enjoy stiring up the ‘how to vote card’ party volunteers a little though. i might miss that if it was online…

    #1149735
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::
    Osmond Mcleod, post: 171938 wrote:
    I dont see why you can do your tax online, but not vote. if its ok for our tax, surely we can have a voting system as well.

    I do enjoy stiring up the ‘how to vote card’ party volunteers a little though. i might miss that if it was online…There are three reasons why online voting is not yet ready to be implemented.

    1. Privacy

    2. Security

    3. Paper trail.

    #1149736
    Osmond Mcleod
    Member
    • Total posts: 134
    Up
    0
    ::
    MatthewKeath, post: 171940 wrote:
    There are three reasons why online voting is not yet ready to be implemented.

    1. Privacy

    2. Security

    3. Paper trail.

    Interesting, I guess i value my tax return information higher than my vote for a particular party and i send that online.

    I can see why security is an issue given the potential impacts.

    #1149737
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::
    Osmond Mcleod, post: 171941 wrote:
    Interesting, I guess i value my tax return information higher than my vote for a particular party and i send that online.

    I can see why security is an issue given the potential impacts.The thing is that people are generally not that interested in your tax return, but power is something that some people will do almost anything for.

    Look at online banking – people get ripped off all the time through a range of different scams.

    #1149738
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::

    Ok,

    Lets take it a little left of field.. although i am not a huge political advocate, i actually dont understand why we cant follow the USA process (rarely do i want to follow the USA) and make voting voluntary.

    Having previously scrutinised at elections, oh my the amount of voided votes from people that didnt want to vote in the first place was amazing…

    Just saying,,, let the chatting continue!

    PS.. Matthew, i thought the government would be a huge advocate for voting online so they can tell everyone its anonymous and them watch what we do ;)

    Cheers
    Jason ;)

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1149739
    bridiej
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    0
    ::

    Coming from the UK, where voting isn’t compulsory either, the problem with that system is that the minority then decide who gets elected… But it doesn’t stop the masses who couldn’t be bothered complaining about whoever happens to be in power because of it.

    What I object to is preference voting, especially when there are only two parties that I feel are worthy of my vote. How on earth are you supposed to rank five or six other parties that you totally don’t agree with?

    #1149740
    Steve_Minshall
    Member
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    0
    ::
    bridiej, post: 172189 wrote:
    Coming from the UK, where voting isn’t compulsory either, the problem with that system is that the minority then decide who gets elected…

    I always assumed The Sun newspaper decided who got elected:)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.