Home – New Forums Starting your journey Trade Mark help please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jellie
    • Total posts: 22
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

I’m just in the process of starting my business so a complete newbie :), I spoke with a trade mark attorney about trade marking my name and logo but I have no idea what it’s supposed to cost. I’m looking at probably 3 classes, thanks so much in advance :)

This is what I got quoted:

Costs
    Costs for one trade mark in one class in Australia are $1800 (incl. GST and government fees of $330).

Costs for one trade mark in two classes in Australia are $2350 (incl. GST and government fees of $660).

Costs for one trade mark in two classes in Australia are $2900 (incl. GST and government fees of $660).

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

[USER=20176]@JacquiPryor[/USER] may be able to help you.

Good luck.

Jellie
    Up

Thanks Paul hopefully she sees this :)

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

If not, here is her website link – http://www.mmwtrademarks.com.au/

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Jellie…. “She” has seen it :)

The pricing you have been quoted, inclusive of a $330 per class government fee indicates an application via the pre-filing assessment type of application the government offers. A standard application is currently waiting 6-7 months to be examined so these pre-filing assessments are a really good idea for new businesses as they provide a result within about 5 days as to whether your proposed brand is likely to be approved versus waiting that full 6-7 months. It also provides an opportunity to change the trademark, if needed, whereas a standard application once examined in 6 months would not allow you to chance the mark to something else.

For ease of comparison our pricing – based on what you posted – is below.. you would save $80 per class by filing a standard application rather than this ‘early assessment’ type but for the reasons described above I think it’s worth the extra cost for newer businesses. What it ‘should’ cost is dependent on many factors so despite what you have been quoted, to be fair to whoever you have spoken with, there could be reasons they’re higher in cost than my company…and could be factors I’m not aware of based on this post :)

Costs
    Costs for one trade mark in one class in Australia are $1800 (incl. GST and government fees of $330). Our fee $975 for the same

Costs for one trade mark in two classes in Australia are $2350 (incl. GST and government fees of $660). Our fee $1665 for the same

Costs for one trade mark in two classes in Australia are $2900 (incl. GST and government fees of $660). I wonder here if you mean for three classes? in which case government fee would be $990. Assuming you mean three classes here – our fee $2355 for the same

We offer a free trademark search as a first step – https://www.mmwtrademarks.com.au/free-trademark-search/ so we can better understand the chances of successful registration and what classes are truly needed. If you complete this form, be sure to mention Flying Solo as your way of finding us, as we offer a discount to FS members ;)

Hope this all helps and I look forward to hearing from you if I can help :)

Jellie
    Up

Hi Jacqui,

So sorry I didn’t mean to offend was in a bit of a hurry when I wrote that reply. Thank you for replying though, I keep finding different prices so I’m getting totally confused but it’s definately something I will be looking at in the very near future :)

JacquiPryor
    Up

Hi Jellie – no offence taken whatsoever :)

We’ll all have different fee structures for various reasons of course. The government fee doesn’t change, it’s either $250 per class or $330 per class depending on the type of application you file.

As noted, feel free to get in touch or submit for the free search if we can be of any help at an time :)

Jellie
    Up

Someone suggested IP Australia to me?? Are they the same thing lol

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Jellie, post: 266178, member: 37661 wrote:

Have you checked out your web link in your signature, it sends me to a dodgy competition website

JacquiPryor
    Up
    Jellie, post: 266178, member: 37661 wrote:

Hi Jellie – IP Australia is the government body that we file through to register trade marks in Australia. The government fees mentioned in my last post are IP Australia’s fees.

PS – I have your email (thanks) and will respond Monday morning. Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

Jellie
    Up

Hi Jacqui, so though IP Australia you just pays the fees mentioned and nothing else? Sorry just confused, if that’s all you pay why do people need a trade mark attorney or is it not that easy lol

Jellie
    Up
    bb1, post: 266179, member: 53375 wrote:
    Have you checked out your web link in your signature, it sends me to a dodgy competition website

Could you please tell me how I can change it? Thanks so much

JacquiPryor
    Up
    Jellie, post: 266185, member: 37661 wrote:
    Hi Jacqui, so though IP Australia you just pays the fees mentioned and nothing else? Sorry just confused, if that’s all you pay why do people need a trade mark attorney or is it not that easy lol

Hi Jellie – it’s a difficult question to answer … some times it comes down to ‘you don’t know what you don’t know’ with trade mark law (and no doubt other laws and professions). Yes, if you enjoy a smooth application the government fees with IP Australia could be all you pay. However, if there are issues it might cost you more in the long run by having to fix those issues – or, where mistakes/issues are made that you can’t ‘fix’, can sometimes result in having to file a new application and go through the process again. Engaging a trade marks attorney at the outset can avoid certain issues/mistakes from being made if you’re not familiar with trade mark law so whilst higher in cost initially, can save you more in the long run.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Jellie, post: 266186, member: 37661 wrote:
    Could you please tell me how I can change it? Thanks so much

https://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/index.php?account/signature

Jellie
    Up

Thanks heaps :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.