Home – New Forums Starting your journey trading as “xyz”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    shooting4daStars
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi

I have seen a lot of businesses where business name is say “123 enterprises” but they say trading as “xyz”

I want to do the same,I want to register a company with name say “OZ industries” but want my product(android app) to be say “OZ cloud backup”

so I would buy both ozindustries.com.au and ozcloudbackup.com.au

how does this work?

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi there,

A product name is different to a ‘trading as’ name…

You could be, for example, OZ Industries Pty Ltd (company), and then you could ‘trade as’ Oz Cloud Backup (business name) if you wanted to… If your customers are going to see that they are doing business with “Oz Cloud Backup” then you would have to register the business name.

However, if your customers will know they are doing business with Oz Industries Pty Ltd then you won’t have to also register a business name. If you want to protect the “Oz Cloud Backup” name for your product you should consider trademark protection/registration.

Then, you would be Oz Industries Pty Ltd who owns/has a product called Oz Cloud Backup.

Companies and business names are both registered through ASIC – http://www.asic.gov.au and trademarks are looked after by IP Australia – http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au.

If you register the company of OZ Industries Pty Ltd this will entitle you to buy ozindustries.com.au domain name; if you have the trademark (or the business name) for Oz Cloud Backup these would entitle you to buy ozcloudbackup.com.au.

I hope this helps.

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up

You could also be entitled to register the domain name ozcloudbackup.com.au on the ‘close and substantial connection’ basis.

But as Jacqui points out, a trade mark application or business name would ensure there is absolute certainty about your eligibility to hold the domain name.

BTW don’t you have better things to be doing Jacqui? ;)

Cheers,
    Victor

Edit: just in case the last line comes across as rude, I assure everyone that Jacqui really does have better things to be doing :)

JacquiPryor
    Up

BTW don’t you have better things to be doing Jacqui?

I am supposed to have ‘better’ things to do by now, yes… but, still waiting….

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 164574 wrote:
    Hi there,

I’m ‘Forum Bombing” here — but Jacqui I wanted to let you know that one of my private mentoring customers – Amy the ‘rug lady’ as we affectionately call her, was totally impressed with your service for you.

For everyone else who reads this — any copyright infringement, stealing of images and so forth, Jacqui is fantastic at this!

Highly recommend.

Jenny

JacquiPryor
    Up

Hi Jenny,

I know who you are talking about, but didn’t know there was a connection to you/here! Small world.

Thanks so much for the kind words and the ‘forum bombing’ shout out :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.