Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Traditional marketing for digital services

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    SocialStep
    • Total posts: 39
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I am interested to know any thoughts or experiences (and opinions even!) of using traditional marketing channels for digital services.

The reason I ask is that I currently manage a number of client’s Facebook marketing efforts, and they are all pumping along nicely. However, the type of clients who would use my service won’t be as tech savvy as someone who, say, just manages their own Facebook page and creates all their own content.

To be honest I am only taking on a limited number of clients anyway, so looking for the best way to secure the right type of clients for my business.

So my thoughts were to use traditional marketing channels (rather than digital, which I use anyway) to reach these potential clients. I feel even the good ol’ flyers handed out to businesses would reach some of these clients more effectively than a Google ad :)

Any thoughts? It’s something I will be trying anyway but thought calling on the experience here would be helpful.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Personally wouldn’t bother with print advertising but I would suggest you look at networking as a great way to generate business.

Justin Laju
    • Total posts: 89
    Up

Telemarketing works well for this type of business.

Whether it’s social media, seo, or web design/development – a simple telephone call is as personal as it gets without dropping in to see them (which can never cover as much ground).

We’ve performed many years worth of appointment setting and telemarketing campaigns for online marketing businesses, offering consistent quality leads that lead to great client relationships.

You can’t handle objections as a flyer, but as a caller proposing services you are right there to offer the features and benefits that make objections a positive thing.

Make some calls!

SocialStep
    • Total posts: 39
    Up
    MissSassy, post: 208484 wrote:
    Personally wouldn’t bother with print advertising but I would suggest you look at networking as a great way to generate business.

Yes, all of my current work is from networking so it’s definitely the most effective. That’s my concern, that it is just a waste of money to have other forms of marketing? Currently – networking, online marketing channels and word of mouth. It might be better to just expand my networking efforts.

MissSassy
    Up

I 100% agree – just expand on what you are doing and don’t waste your time and money on print, the return is just not going to be there for your type of business.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    MissSassy, post: 208520 wrote:
    I 100% agree – just expand on what you are doing and don’t waste your time and money on print, the return is just not going to be there for your type of business.

Thats a very bold statement, do you have any stats to base that on. I see a lot of digital business’s still advertising the old fashioned way, surely they dont do it if it isnt cost effective.

MissSassy
    Up

Now I know you love your stats bb1 – the original question talks about flyers and the best results I have seen regarding flyers is 2% as a usual it is more like 0.5 to 1%.

I am sure that these results vary across suburbs, business types etc.

Naturally businesses should be utilising something that works and not just trying something cause they can. So yes I advised that they should stick with what works as we are giving a quick response without knowing an entire story about a persons business, location etc.

Do you have any stats on these digital businesses advertising in an old fashioned and yet successful way. Remember that LARGER businesses do strike a presence in many arenas to gain WIDE exposure, even without great results in all areas.

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    MissSassy, post: 208525 wrote:
    Now I know you love your stats bb1 – the original question talks about flyers and the best results I have seen regarding flyers is 2% as a usual it is more like 0.5 to 1%.

I am sure that these results vary across suburbs, business types etc.

Naturally businesses should be utilising something that works and not just trying something cause they can. So yes I advised that they should stick with what works as we are giving a quick response without knowing an entire story about a persons business, location etc.

Do you have any stats on these digital businesses advertising in an old fashioned and yet successful way. Remember that LARGER businesses do strike a presence in many arenas to gain WIDE exposure, even without great results in all areas.

No I dont have stats specific to this particular industry, but I havent said don’t waste your money.

I do know that I did a flyer distribution and got a 4% response rate, but totally different market segment, and most likely area. And someone else did the same area and got a 0% response rate.

But I havent just boldly said dont waste your money, it doesnt work, I suspect that your 0.5% to 1.0% could be right or possibly lower, but I would have thought if we are giving this type of advise we should have something to back up what we are stating. Not just a don’t do it.

We have had digital business’s complaining on here that they have used adwords, SEO and other things and had no improvement in business, so should we be saying dont use these as well, because of that.

MissSassy
    Up

I am not going to hijack this post further but seriously, maybe re-read how and why things have been answered before you go on the attack – I do have a considerable amount of experience in offering a response to this question. And I did begin the sentence using “personally”. Naturally not everyone will agree!

bb1, post: 208529 wrote:
    No I dont have stats specific to this particular industry, but I havent said don’t waste your money.

I do know that I did a flyer distribution and got a 4% response rate, but totally different market segment, and most likely area. And someone else did the same area and got a 0% response rate.

But I havent just boldly said dont waste your money, it doesnt work, I suspect that your 0.5% to 1.0% could be right or possibly lower, but I would have thought if we are giving this type of advise we should have something to back up what we are stating. Not just a don’t do it.

We have had digital business’s complaining on here that they have used adwords, SEO and other things and had no improvement in business, so should we be saying dont use these as well, because of that.

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    MissSassy, post: 208533 wrote:
    I am not going to hijack this post further but seriously, maybe re-read how and why things have been answered before you go on the attack – I do have a considerable amount of experience in offering a response to this question. And I did begin the sentence using “personally”. Naturally not everyone will agree!

No attack intended, just trying to help our friend out. He has asked is it worthwhile going to traditional methods “ie flyers”. So instead of just ruling it out, we should be trying to be helpful.

Sorry if I took a view that may help a fellow soloist,

twillis
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Another option could be to focus on some local businesses, do a pre-screening (check their FB presence, web presence, etc) and arrange a call / face-to-face chat.

A bit more time consuming but far better cut-through and more cost-effective. Having worked with small businesses for years you’d be amazed how much word of mouth spreads if you can tap into a network.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Oh dear, it seems we’ve gotten into the subjective again.

Sometimes flyers will work well…
    Sometimes SEO will work well…
    Sometimes Facebook will work well…

the bit that’s not being considered is just how good were the attempts when so and so got just 0.1% enquiry from their efforts?

Some facebook ads make me look, others don’t get a look, same goes with flyers and don’t get me started on all those who thought they were doing SEO well…

It’s not really possible to say that such a thing will or won’t work without knowing how well its done! Most folk doing their own AdWords might as well just give their money away, same with flyers, which can be a waste of paper and ink in many cases.

Only some will get their design and message right so it creates a reaction. Then that message needs to get in front of the right eyeballs.

So many variables…

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up
    MissSassy, post: 208520 wrote:

Printing does work well if done correctly. By jingoes it does! (I’ve never used the work jingoes before, so feel honoured… :p) I design and print flyers almost daily for all kinds of businesses, have done so for over 10 years and see first-hand how well they work.

Say you sent out 10,000 well thought out flyers and only got a humble, but reasonable 1% return, that’s 100 quality leads to work with, lets say at a cost of $10 a lead. To put that into perspective, if you paid $1 per click with an online campaign, received 10,000 hits on your websites and 100 enquiries – you’ll end up with the exact same results for the same price. I’m not trying to convince you to use print, just don’t think it’s fair to just write it off because it hasn’t worked for others. Obviously these numbers will vary, but you can see my point.

With all forms of marketing, for various reasons you will get different results from business to business, campaign to campaign. I’d encourage you to try a few things and find what works best for you (and it sounds like your doing this already). There’s no magic formula; some things work well for some people and not so well for others.

Now that we’ve cleared that up, if I was you I’d look at ways to encourage your existing clients to recommend you to their friends and colleagues – In doing this kind of thing, I’ve always found just asking them for help straight out is much more effective then trying to entice them with rewards. It may be as simple as a short email, a letter in the mail or a nice phone call thanking them for their ongoing business and explaining that you’d like to expand.

Two great benefits of getting referrals from your clients rather than from other places is that people generally are not going to recommend dodgy characters to you and risk their reputation, and it’s in your client’s best interest for your business to succeed, so if they like you enough and believe in your product they’ll go into bat for you if they can.

It may not work, but that’s what I’d do.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Social Step,
    “Digital services” is an unbelievably broad category. Too broad, I suggest for us to offer much by way of useful suggestions with the limited info provided.

I see $millions being spent on traditional channels (TV) by digital service providers like Telstra, Optus, dating services, hotel booking services, insurance services, ancestry services, mobile phone providers, etc, etc.

Can you be a bit more specific?
    Regs,
    JohnW

defineguy
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Before printing off fliers…before knocking on doors….or setting up adwords campaigns The first rule of thumb when trying to reach a customer..is to THINK like a customer…be empathetic to thier business, understand thier needs…wants…fears and dreams….. and you will go a long way towards Defining the right client.

Having to do the hard sell, means that your not listening to the potentual clients needs…your trying to sell igloos to Egyptians.

Do your research…think about your ideal client…. Segment your market….
    How can your service help a Builder grow thier business?…
    How can your service adapt to help a Hairdresser?
    All businesses have different needs and measure benefits in different ways.

After your research… if you find that your ideal client looks at fliers and it could offer good ROI…design for your target audience and USE FLIERS.

But in my most humble opinion…I would whittle your potential client list down via a set of business factors ( <5 staff, established website etc) ...segment them into industry.... construct a list of benefits that your service can deliver for each business, organise a meeting and meet face to face.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.