Home – New Forums Tech talk Traffic – Adwords Position 1.1 vs SEO Position 1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mundo
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Has anyone compared their targetted keyword for traffic for position 1.1 in Adwords and position #1 on SEO?

I seem to be getting less than 50% of the traffic with SEO, but i’m finding it impossible to compare the numbers – because my landing page on the SEO is the home page, and because the keywords are mostly (not provided)

(I’m using “clicks” for the month for Adwords figures – but not sure how to get the SEO figures accurately – to compare)

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Mundo,
    No one can offer any relevant comment with this limited info.

If you are implementing SEO effectively, almost all site pages will be providing answers to different questions. So, a Home page as the focus for all SEO activities does not seem to compute.

If you go to your Analytics reports and see that almost all site entries are to your Home page then this is usually a sure sign that your site is not using SEO effectively.

What are you doing with your Adword campaign? Frequently people need to provide different landing pages for different search phrases that they are buying. Is this so in your case?

IMHO, your post suggest that you may need some one to provide you with more detailed info on how SEO and Adwords campaigns should be implemented, what to expect and how to measure results.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

Google Webmaster Tools may provide better keyword based impression data.

mundo
    Up

okay sorry let me try to reask the question

Here are the facts for keyword “x”

I’m position 1.1 for keyword x – all day every day, it’s above all the organic terms, it gets 1000 clicks per month, at full budget, no restrictions.

I’m in position #1 for SEO – all the time, for the same keyword “x”.

Since I get a lot of “not provided” – how do I compare my SEO volume to my Adwords volume?

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

Even if [not provided] did not exist, all GA would tell you is clicks. It does not give you impressions.

GWT gives more accurate keyword based impression and click data. It will also tell you if you are always in position 1.

Remember that you are probably not always #1. Factors like location and personalisation will mean there are cases when you are not #1.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Forgive me if I’m misinterpreting your situation.

Do I understand that your ad is in position 1.1 for one specific search phrase?

If so, it sounds like you are paying far too much for your Adword campaign. What you want is the widest combination of search phrases that generate the lowest average cost per click (and conversion).

If you don’t pursue this objective you will (in my experience) be paying around 30-40% more per click than you need.

On the natural search ranking, if you are only targeting one search phrase and it is the most frequently used search phrase, and you rank #1 for it, you are only targeting around 10% of searchers. The numbers who will be interested in clicking through will be a fraction of the people who start their search this way.

SEO is not about targeting a single search phrase. It is about targeting the widest range of relevant search phrases as used by potential clients then encouraging them to click through to your site.

Google’s recent changes to its Analytics program are intentionally directing people away from focusing on individual search phrases.

Start your assessment of your SE referral success with Analytics.

Go to Acquisition > Overview

That will tell you how many people clicked through to your site with Paid vs. Organic search.

G Webmaster Tools & Analytics
    You can link your Webmaster Tools and Analytics. If you do this, you can view the GWT Search Query report in GA.

The Search Query report provides you with some information about generic search engine referrals and your average ranking for specific search phrases. If you think you rank #1 for a specific search phrase, you will probably find G tells you your average is around #8.

The bottom line is, don’t focus on individual search phrases.
    Regs,
    JohnW

mundo
    Up

These are great answers, thank you!

I have a specific brand keyword that generates a lot of business due to the strong keyword volume and excellent conversion rate ..

For that reason, I want that keyword to appear in the 1.1 position in Adwords, any variation of that keyword such as “keyword sale” or “sale keyword” or “keyword discounts” are all in that #1 position, so i’m not sure what you mean by overfocusing on that one keyword, it generates about 80-90 clicks a day which convert at 10%

Of course I want more such quality, but it creates some healthy revenue for me (the margins are thin however), so i’m bidding about 25-30 cents for those clicks to hold position #1

Merchant center isn’t helping much (the conversion rate is much lower, and the clicks are far far lower).

For SEO clicks – i’m in #2 position, I can’t work out how to accurately work out the number of clicks my favourite keyword is generating, because most of the answers are “not provided”

Sorry I can’t explain further i’m pretty new to Adwords

pauls
    • Total posts: 120
    Up

Hi Mundo,

Yes, not provided will create holes, however you should still be able to reduce the gap to some extent.

As John W mentioned, you will have different landing pages for different keyword themes. eg. panadol capsules, panadol tablets, cheap panadol etc would go to one page and so on.

So by looking at traffic per page and then drilling down on each to traffic source and date range should assist.
    Referring back to exposure and clicks via GWT should also assist.

You can also put tracking code/query string at the end of each AdWord group that will allow your analytics to isolate this paid traffic in your reports.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.