Home – New Forums Tech talk Transfer windows 7 to new machine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

We have a computer that is about 2 years old, and has decided to throw the towel in. I had it check and apparently will cost the same to fix as to buy a new one. My question is, there are a lot of machines being sold with operating systems – is it possible for me to use the Windows 7 that came with the dead machine on the new machine? It has the product key on a sticker on the side of the tower, so I just wondered if it will allow me to use this.

Of course I can’t cancel it on the old machine, as it is dead – is there something else I need to do to make this work?

Thanks in advance techies (and well, general computer literate people unlike myself)

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

You can most DEFINITELY use the license number of the old machine on a New machine. You may have issues with machine drivers but 99% of all machines have all the Windows Flavour drivers anyway, Once you have loaded Windows, insert the old Hard Drive into the New Computer and you can then easily copy the information from Old machine to the New (Unless you have Hard Drive sector failures, then you could be limited in what you can copy over). I do this all the time for clients.

If the Hard Drive is all ok and you have purchased a New comptuer with a much Larger Hard Drive, I also copy the old disk completely to the New Disk into a “Old Machine Folder” and then format the old disk and use it as a quick backup drive or scratch disk for graphics (temp files).

Remember that you will need to re-install all your applications as well. There are methods of coping some applications, but true windows programs can get messy with missing registry entries and pointers.

Hope this helps.
    Brent.

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up

Brent is spot on except in a few cases.

If it’s an OEM license it is tied to that machine. It will work on a new machine but as far as the licensing terms and conditions go you may as well have it unlicensed because it will be null and void.

There’s also a new license we’ve seen recently which is specifically for businesses that refurb PC’s (like GraysOnline) I don’t know the terms around those licenses but I would assume it is the same as the OEM license.

If you’ve got a retail copy you’re free to install it on any machine you want as long as it’s only on one at a time. If you’ve purchased this machine from somewhere like Harvey Norman etc I’d expect it to come with an OEM license (because they’re cheaper)

Here’s a good article making sense of all of the confusion around Microsoft OEM licensing – http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/is-it-ok-to-use-oem-windows-on-your-own-pc-dont-ask-microsoft/1561

Maclean

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

in all likelihood – the PC you purchased previously that has a key stuck on the side is _probably_ but not always an OEM key, which means it’s usually tied to that specific hardware as pointed out above by eway.

It’ll work – but technically it’s unlicenced.

It’s also usually very, very difficult to buy a retail computer that comes without an licence anyway so there would be no need to reuse the old licence..
    If you want to stick with windows 7 still, then vendors do provide specific computers with W7 still rather than W8. I know Dell in particular will let you choose across a whole range of their products..

Ben_Oz
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Also, if the old machine is dead, it could possibly be a hard drive failure/fault so transferring over you data might be tricky.

I would just buy a new machine that already comes with an OS pre-installed…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.