Home – New Forums Tech talk Transition from eBay to PPC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Inktown
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hi

I used to run a mini store on eBay, I ended doing enough sales to get charged over $500/month by eBay for Seller’s fees.

I decided to create my own store

https://www.inktown.com.au and try to market it via Google.

What are some of the best ways to transition from eBay to Google?

I’ve already signed up for the $100 adwords voucher, are there any other freebies floating around?

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

I don’t know what you’ve done, but the admin menu is presented to me when I view your page.. The links all go to soft 404’s, but you’ll still want to fix that.

The easiest way to grow your website quickly is to get a discount email code setup and send an email newsletter to everyone that bought from your eBay store. You can export their email addresses from PayPal – https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/How-to-use-PayPal-Archive/Exporting-Email-lists/td-p/6051

If you’ve still got your eBay business, make sure you send the same discount code to everyone that buys.

We do this and give them 5% off. You’ll immediately be ahead because you won’t be paying the eBay fee (which at best is 6%, I pay 7% with a “Featured Store” so we still save minimum 2% plus we can accept a card payment and avoid PayPal’s huge fee as well.

Use MailChimp to send out your newsletter – http://mailchimp.com/
    Use VistaPrint to print your cards if you go down that route

Let me know if any of the above needs further explaining!

Kind regards,

Maclean

DreamscanbeVisions
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

Out of innocent curiosity what’s your marginal profit per cartridge?

Inktown
    Up
    Hatching_It, post: 203392 wrote:
    I don’t know what you’ve done, but the admin menu is presented to me when I view your page.. The links all go to soft 404’s, but you’ll still want to fix that.

The easiest way to grow your website quickly is to get a discount email code setup and send an email newsletter to everyone that bought from your eBay store. You can export their email addresses from PayPal – https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/How-to-use-PayPal-Archive/Exporting-Email-lists/td-p/6051

If you’ve still got your eBay business, make sure you send the same discount code to everyone that buys.

We do this and give them 5% off. You’ll immediately be ahead because you won’t be paying the eBay fee (which at best is 6%, I pay 7% with a “Featured Store” so we still save minimum 2% plus we can accept a card payment and avoid PayPal’s huge fee as well.

Use MailChimp to send out your newsletter – http://mailchimp.com/
    Use VistaPrint to print your cards if you go down that route

Let me know if any of the above needs further explaining!

Kind regards,

Maclean

Hi

I am so glad you pointed this out. It seems to be a problem with a WP plugin super cache which I installed. It actually caches the admin menu when I leave the site, so visitors can see it. OMG that is so serious.

Inktown
    Up
    DreamscanbeVisions, post: 203393 wrote:
    Out of innocent curiosity what’s your marginal profit per cartridge?

It depends, from eBay,I was able to push alot of Canon cartridges but the margins are slim.

HP cartridges work for a lot of different printers so I could keep a lot of stock and know they would sell.

Epson depends on which model, so some sold well and others didn’t

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up

First thing you should do for an online store is set up Google Conversion Tracking and start tracking your sales funnel.

I would configure Ecommerce and create a goal that tracks your sales funnel from adding to cart to final checkout to see where you might have bottlenecks in your sales funnel.

By tracking conversions you’ll get a better understanding of which traffic converts the best for your business and where you should invest more time and money.

Your meta descriptions are the same across every page
    “Inktown – Here you will find Genuine Ink for a fraction of Retail Prices.”

Doing a site:inktown.com.au I could see number of pages listed from the original theme demo that you would have installed. They’ve all been deleted now which is good but you’ll still get 404s. Look at redirecting those pages back to your homepage.

All of your product descriptions are duplicates i.e manufacturer descriptions. I can see that officeworks uses the same descriptions. Not only that but your product descriptions and product pages are almost the same across the site which Google may very well see as duplicate content.

Looks like a brand new domain too so you’re going to need to understand how to get links and traffic to your site, your competitor for example is doing content marketing like the following

http://www.cartridgesdirect.com.au/blog?PageSpeed=noscript

Hope this helps

Inktown
    Up
    Byron Trzeciak, post: 203410 wrote:
    First thing you should do for an online store is set up Google Conversion Tracking and start tracking your sales funnel.

I would configure Ecommerce and create a goal that tracks your sales funnel from adding to cart to final checkout to see where you might have bottlenecks in your sales funnel.

By tracking conversions you’ll get a better understanding of which traffic converts the best for your business and where you should invest more time and money.

Your meta descriptions are the same across every page
    “Inktown – Here you will find Genuine Ink for a fraction of Retail Prices.”

Doing a site:inktown.com.au I could see number of pages listed from the original theme demo that you would have installed. They’ve all been deleted now which is good but you’ll still get 404s. Look at redirecting those pages back to your homepage.

All of your product descriptions are duplicates i.e manufacturer descriptions. I can see that officeworks uses the same descriptions. Not only that but your product descriptions and product pages are almost the same across the site which Google may very well see as duplicate content.

Looks like a brand new domain too so you’re going to need to understand how to get links and traffic to your site, your competitor for example is doing content marketing like the following

http://www.cartridgesdirect.com.au/blog?PageSpeed=noscript

Hope this helps

Yeah it really does.

I’m doing all this as a side thing, so I don’t really have time to create a blog and I will run into a lot of dup content road blocks which will hurt my SEO rankings.

As I said I was paying eBay $500/month so I figured I would just do something myself and try it out.

I have checked your website and the cheapest package is $700/month which is currently outside my budget but I’ll keep you in mind if things change and I need a pro.

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up

If you’re looking to do some of your SEO yourself then many client’s go for the SEO audit option first which is $550 inc gst once off purchase. You get a comprehensive document on where your site can improve.

http://www.pixelrushstudio.com.au/seo-services/seo-audit/

Good luck with it all.

davo23
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

I’ve been working with PPC for about 6 years now, starting in an agency with large clients and have transitioned into running my own SEM agency. If you plan on running a PPC as a trial, I would suggest you focus on some of the following so you don’t blow your budget:

• Don’t use generic terms like ‘ink cartridges’, ‘replacement ink’
    • Only focus on exact and phrase match terms for the products on your site ie ‘[canon pg 640]’ and ‘”canon pg 640″. Do this for every product on your site, this will ensure you buy only the most targeted traffic to start with
    • put each product into its own adgroup. This way you can have a targeted ad with the product name in the headline. This will also give you a better CTR and quality score
    • before you launch your campaigns, make sure you have conversion and e-commerce tracking set up properly. This will let you see which keywords are driving conversions
    • make sure you have a daily budget set and have an end date on the campaign if it’s only a trial. This will stop you from going over budget. You can always adjust these as you go along

I’ve managed an ink cartridge campaign in the past and it worked well, you just need to make sure that your account structure is really tight.

Good luck with it all!

Dave

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Some good advice here from the various contributors, I’d add to that and say be sure your pricing is competitive, your website efficient at converting and your margin generous enough to cover the costs.

You also need to think in terms of lifetime customer value v. customer aquisition costs.

For example, If on average, your website converts 1 in 10 visitors and your traffic cost is say $15 for those 10 visitors, then is your margin on that average sale more than $15?

Maybe not…

But…

If the average customer becomes a repeat buyer (because of your great service, your prices, your follow-up and customers offers, etc)…

…then you have spent the $15 acquisition cost on acquiring a customer who might spend many hundreds, maybe even thousands over the course of time.

If on the other hand your site is not so good at converting visitors to sales, or your pricing is not competitive… you won’t even get the first sale.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.