Home – New Forums Tech talk Trapped on MYOB AccountRight Premier

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JDinBrisbane
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

I had something to say about the new so-called “hybrid” MYOB AccountRight Live at the tail end of this old post here:
    http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/talking-technology/24569-myob-accountright-live-2.html#post175843

But I’m not done – another thought (and a caution for some of you):

The few myob clients I have left (I’ve migrated most of them to Xero) are actually among my largest clients. And they are trapped on myob (Account Right Premier specifically v19.x). They’re not stupid. They get the value of a product such as Xero.

However, because they tend to be, for example, manufacturing concerns etc that have integrated (typically) a shop floor / process / machine control application into MYOB (one of the very few situations in which clients ever bothered to hook any 3rd party app into the myob product), and those applications expect the myob database to be available locally on a high-speed network (e.g. the office LAN) so that they can read/write data to/from that database, those integration points will fail if those myob Premier clients are forced onto the current porcine maquillage version of myob (the hybrid AccountRight Live product with its data-base replication thingy).

Which is why myob goes on patching and patching and patching AccountRight Premier v19 (its up to v19.9 or so now). And they keep telling my clients that an integration “solution” is only 6 months away. It’s been 6 months away for a long time now…

The issue there is that with the “hybrid” model there is local cached version of the company file on every pc that “looks” at the shared file – remember that it’s just olde-worlde desktop software with some over-the-internet lipstick. OK, so then which of the multiple local PC copies of the myob file does the client’s manufacturing / CRM software then integrate with?

Remember, that with AccountRight Live if you want to update a local copy of the file (rather than edit the datacentre version over-the-internet slowly-and-painfully) you have to lock it – which obviously won’t work for an larger client with multiple active users. Once you have locked the file then – and this is unbelievable but appears to be the way that product works – any changes you make to the local file won’t be replicated to the datacentre server version (and visible to other users) until you unlock the file (sync it back to the copy that myob keeps on its servers in a data center somewhere). Again, that’s not acceptable to any number of small businesss let alone larger ones. That’s a problem with the underlying legacy technology architecture of the myob product.

And that’s one of the issues with lipstick on a legacy product – the underlying legacy architecture makes it very hard to find good solutions to simple problems.

Which is why that solution might remain “6 months away” for some time yet, and if myob does cough up something then I for one will be counselling my clients to be very, very careful about allowing it into their production environments without a lot of careful product and site testing first. In other words – it won’t happen.

You have been cautioned. :)

Cheers,
    JD

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

why not get them to see if they can integrate the equipment with Xero ? Engage xero -tell them you have these large clients, and that this would be a good way to win them. then xero can use it as a case study..

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

I agree.

Why not have a look at integrating the product with Xero. It should be easier using Xero’s API than the old system MYOB uses.

What information does the add-on use from the accounting system?

WHat type of database does the add-on work on?

Ben Ross
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hey JD,
    I look after the product roadmap at MYOB and appreciate the candid feedback. We are laser focused on ensuring that your Premier clients are well looked after with our upcoming AccountRightLive Premier release which I am happy to let you know is scheduled for May.
    Most of the powerful Premier functionality that your clients love in v.19 will be available with all of our new live services like bankfeeds, working online (or offline) and connections to our large range of API partners.
    We have also done a lot of work to AccountRightLive to ensure that it is the fastest cloud accounting solution on the market – see http://boxfreeit.com.au/2014/02/25/updated-myob-accountright-live-faster-xero-key-tasks/
    In terms of the technical approach we have taken to working online and offline, I encourage you to take a look at some recent coverage that explains the market-leading approach we adopted – see http://boxfreeit.com.au/2014/02/26/myob-accountright-live-works/
    I am also confident that you will find that AccountRightLive Premier is great value for your clients – particularly when compared to competitor products which have less features and require a range of add-on solutions to deliver features that come integrated with AccountRightLive (eg. inventory and payroll). Ben

markshaz
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    JDinBrisbane, post: 184820 wrote:
    I had something to say about the new so-called “hybrid” MYOB AccountRight Live at the tail end of this old post here:
    http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/talking-technology/24569-myob-accountright-live-2.html#post175843

But I’m not done – another thought (and a caution for some of you):

Have a look at openerp I have worked for 15yrs implementing erp systems for Manufacturing companies and also small businesses, this is but far the best product out there, and its opensource. If you need any advice just ask.

Mark

http://www.internext.net.au

Grant Mason
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Hello –

For my business we have MYOB Premier 19x (3 user license) on the remote desktop. So its all working on the cloud for over a year now. I just hope it keeps working.

I called MYOB to complain about their electric utility company pricing of double digit rises for the past four years – way above inflation and my price increases of which have been nil for years. I got some excuse of needing the increase for investment into their new cloud platform which I could benefit from (which I already have and probably don’t need their cloud solution). In terms of manufacturing there probably are integration hurdles between the LAN and remote desktop.

Regards, Grant Mason

liamgsmith
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    JDinBrisbane, post: 184820 wrote:
    so that they can read/write data to/from that database, those integration points will fail if those myob Premier clients are forced onto the current porcine maquillage version of myob (the hybrid AccountRight Live product with its data-base replication thingy).

Hi JD,

One thing to think about would be redirecting the integration point to the web API for AR Live?

In the new version you can integrate with the local API of the database or the cloud API.

I hadn’t heard of the lock issue you mentioned; I assumed that if there was a local API endpoint then the program would be synching that change as it occurred.

Cheers,
    Liam

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.