Home – New Forums Money matters Travel allowances query

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chippirl
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hello,
    My husband and I purchased a cleaning company around 10 months ago. I have a query in relation to paying staff travelling allowance, and when this should be taken into account. I’ve copied these point forms from the cleaning services award – FWA.

Point 17.4 Employee using own transport
    An employee who by agreement with the employer uses their own motor vehicle in the course of their work will be paid and allowance of $0.74 per kilometre travelled. Where a motor cycle is used the allowance will be $0.25 per kilometre travelled.

Point 17.10 Travel time and fares
    If an employee is required by the employer to travel from one place of work to another, all time so occupied by the employee with be deemed to be working time and will be paid for at the appropriate rate. All fares associated with such travel will be paid for by the employer.

I’m unsure as to when the travel allowance kicks in. Is it when they leave home to go to a job, leave from the work shed in the morning, what about night time workers that have more than one job around town, should this be paid as a return trip? I’ve had one worker recently charging me an extra hour on their time sheet to drive 15 minutes away, stopping for personal reasons at the local tattoo shop prior to starting work for the day.

Could anyone please help with what in fact we should be paying and what the employee could be claiming themselves at the end of the financial year?

Thanks in advance.

Hobidi Bob
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Hi chipgirl,

I own my own cleaning business as well. We pay our cleaners $0.74/kilometer between jobs. Eg, Chris starts at 6am at one clients house and works till 10am. He has to start again at another clients house at 11am through to 3pm which is about 15 min drive. That hour between is his 30min break plus travel and set up time. There for he is paid 8 hours for work and $7.40 (10kmx$0.74).

Hope this helps you

Chippirl
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thank you for your help.
    Much appreciated

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.