Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Travel Website review please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    prawn_86
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

http://www.aussietravellersforum.com.au is a hobby site i have run for a couple years, but i am now starting to spend more money on it.

Aim – to be useful travel resource for Australian travellers and o/s travellers coming here
    Target – Aus and int travellers
    Concerns – at the moment i am struggling to get members to hang around an post. Traffic is improving, but posts are not to the same scale.

I have prizes but i need some form of competition idea to get members to stick around.

I also know the layout is slightly tired, but as it is (being a hobby site) it will not be upgraded for a few months yet

preneur
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

I think the first question you have to ask yourself is: What’s the benefit for members to hang around? Obviously you’re talking about competitions. But why would they want to spend the time giving information to the site? Forget the competition for a moment and think about the value proposition for them on a long-term basis. What do they get for being part of this community? Are they going to actually be able to travel more themselves? Are they going to be able to get other queries?

And what sort of members are you looking for? Are you looking for members who have experience and who can give advice and report back on the trip they’ve had? Because if that’s the case, there are a lot of bigger websites that are doing this. TripAdvisor, for example, is one of them.

I think you need to work out what’s in it for them besides a competition. What’s the value proposition? Why do I want to engage in this forum? And once you have that answer, you’d be able to develop off the back of that.

Cheers,
    Pete

p.s. This response was actually transcribed and posted by my virtual assistant.

prawn_86
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Im looking to build it into a friendly independent online community for Australian travellers, same as this one is for Australian business people. So anybody who has questions or thoughts about travel can come along and post etc

I know forums are hard work to get off the ground, that is why its just a hoppy for me at the moment. And mentors have told me it is about getting a critical mass of posters, so i think initially competitions will help encourage that

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.